Help an old bird with Colouring bleach !!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Reaction score
Any colourists out there that could help a poor Old hairdresser !

Right ! I've just coloured a reg client, she has always had bleach 30 vol, just roots, she now has quite a build up and today I broke it up with 6.3 and 20, didn't come out any thing like a 6.3 !was this because I shoulda used 10 vol ? It was almost a tad karki in a professionals eye. She ia now saying she wants To go about a 7 all over with a few foils !!! Her hair is very pours and not in great cond as she swims a lot.

Because you normally bleach the hair all colour has been taken out of it you need to pre pig before adding any colour.

When darkening hair use the following:
base 8 or above use Gold
base 6 or above use Copper
base 5 and below use Red

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Because you normally bleach the hair all colour has been taken out of it you need to pre pig before adding any colour.

When darkening hair use the following:
base 8 or above use Gold
base 6 or above use Copper
base 5 and below use Red

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Hi donna,
I'm a hairdresser but never done level 3 so colouring is not my strongest point but i know enough to get by and love to be continuously learning which this site is fab for, with what you have said above, when foiling obviously it would be hard to Perpig so would I be right in thinking if you used say a 6.4 (copper) would that suffice for the pre pigging and give the desired colour or would it be best to use the 6.3 and add a copper mix tone?
Would just be interested to know , as I've not yet come across someone with very bleached porous hair that has noted this done
Many thanks
Candice x

i use Schwarzkopf so i would use vibrance which is a quasi, would be interested what other geeks suggest, and if using tint always us 3% to darken

It's quite easy to prepig when foiling, i use affinage gel prepig and just apply it to the bleached hair then go over with my colour.

i use Schwarzkopf so i would use vibrance which is a quasi, would be interested what other geeks suggest, and if using tint always us 3% to darken

I to always use quasi when darkening bleached hair it lasts so much longer doesn't it x

It's quite easy to prepig when foiling, i use affinage gel prepig and just apply it to the bleached hair then go over with my colour.

I don't use affinage but does sounds like a good product always her mixed reports thou..
X

I to always use quasi when darkening bleached hair it lasts so much longer doesn't it x

But I take it you still need to pre pig ?

I haven't ever pre pigged just picked colours that Contain the tones I need x

When I lowlight always use colour that contains tones. But if I was colouring a full head I would be inclined to Prepig. But ain't put the full head Prepig into practice lol....

Snap never been asked to yet (I'm mobile) the blondes that have wanted to go dark have always wanted to go reddy brown or copper brown etc so have always been able to go straight on with a quasi do never really had experience of pre pigging but thanks to this site would feel confident to do so , it does not seem as scary a thought as it did at college lol xx

i would only pre pig if i was doing a full head tint from blonde to dark then use quasi, but doing foils i dont bother just quasi

Sorry to sound silly!! But what is pre pig ?? Xx

you lift the pigment out the hair to go lighter so to go back dark you need to put the pigment back before you tint/quasi. if you dont the tint will fade really quickly and be very patchy

(crap at explaining)

Any colourists out there that could help a poor Old hairdresser !

Right ! I've just coloured a reg client, she has always had bleach 30 vol, just roots, she now has quite a build up and today I broke it up with 6.3 and 20, didn't come out any thing like a 6.3 !was this because I shoulda used 10 vol ? It was almost a tad karki in a professionals eye. She ia now saying she wants To go about a 7 all over with a few foils !!! Her hair is very pours and not in great cond as she swims a lot.

When colouring over bleach you need to either pre-pig first or use a colour that contains enough warmth so that it doesn't go green, I use matrix so i would always use colour sync when re-colouring over bleach it's there quazi range, it's great because even if the client isn't keen on warmth you could go straight in with a neutral colour. I'm not sure what range you use but isn't 6.3 a dark golden blonde? There isn't enough warmth in gold usually to cover over bleach alone without throwing up the green tones. :)

When colouring over bleach you need to either pre-pig first or use a colour that contains enough warmth so that it doesn't go green, I use matrix so i would always use colour sync when re-colouring over bleach it's there quazi range, it's great because even if the client isn't keen on warmth you could go straight in with a neutral colour. I'm not sure what range you use but isn't 6.3 a dark golden blonde? There isn't enough warmth in gold usually to cover over bleach alone without throwing up the green tones. :)

Yep that's exactly where I musta cocked up ! It's golden :o I can never ever remember what depths need golden tones to pre pig or red, am I right in thinking 7 and up it's gold 6 and down its red ?

I have much respect for You hairdressers that can colour confidently, I never bat an eye when it comes to cutting and cutting techniques but colouring sends me into a blind panic !!! I did an advanced colouring course a while back but I just DON'T get it ! I get confused with what colours have what tone etc. And what will work with what !!!:sad:

Last edited:
Yep that's exactly where I musta cocked up ! It's golden :o I can never ever remember what depths need golden tones to pre pig or red, am I right in thinking 7 and up it's gold 6 and down its red ?

I have much respect for You hairdressers that can colour confidently, I never bat an eye when it comes to cutting and cutting techniques but colouring sends me into a blind panic !!! I did an advanced colouring course a while back but I just DON'T get it ! I get confused with what colours have what tone etc. And what will work with what !!!:sad:

You always need to make sure that you pre-pig first depending on the base required. What brand of colour do you use because they usually put a colour star/wheel on the shade chart and this will show you where the different tones fall in relation to the colour star. I'm spoilt with matrix because like i said i use color sync usually to break up bleach it conditions and therefore lasts longer than permanent and you can use whatever tone you want and don't need to worry. When doing full colours from light to dark i usually pre-pig with sync first a few shades lighter than the desired permanent colour and it works brill. :)

You always need to make sure that you pre-pig first depending on the base required. What brand of colour do you use because they usually put a colour star/wheel on the shade chart and this will show you where the different tones fall in relation to the colour star. I'm spoilt with matrix because like i said i use color sync usually to break up bleach it conditions and therefore lasts longer than permanent and you can use whatever tone you want and don't need to worry. When doing full colours from light to dark i usually pre-pig with sync first a few shades lighter than the desired permanent colour and it works brill. :)

Matrix sound like it does all the sums or you ! Brilliant ! I know my wholesale doesn't stock it anymore :sad: I use Koleston. I'm going to have a read up on the sync colours I think this will be the way to go when this client decides to go darker.

Latest posts

Back