Help... don't know what to do..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyliebby..x

Reaction score
heres the thing im a fully qualified nail tech and do bits and bobs in the beauty side e.g. eyebrow tinting perming eyelash tinting shaping and waxing facials which i am qualfied for by doing seperate courses at sallys anyway my dad passed away 5 month ago and seen as he paid for all my courses i want to make him very proud of me but just dont know where to start.. i dont know whether to go mobile home base or try and get a salon job.. but i am on a very low budget at the moment as i am only 18 year old and get my own place and i dont seem to have any money now adays anyway when i do decide what i want (hope your guna help me decide) how do i get a client base as im only doing friends and family at moment and thats not even 3 clients a week i really want to make a go of it and make my dad really really proud of me as i know hed want me to be happy and make loads of money so i can drive round in pink cars lol (used to drive him mad about wanting a pink car) got one nw lol.. please help geeks im really ready to put time and effort into gettin a client base in whatever i decide but just dont know how .. thankyou so much..x.x.x.x.x :green:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya!
Firstly I just wanted to say sorry about your Dad and what you must have been through in the last few months. You certainly have a lot on your plate for an 18 year old!
Well done for wanting to carry on and make a go of things too and it sounds like you are determined and eager to give it a shot. I think it's especially hard for people coming into the business at the moment as every one is watching the pennies. My advice to you would be to advertise some temptingly good offers to people stating that you need models for a small fee and build your confidence whilst gaining experience and knowledge.
Remember that you will need insurance and there is so much info on here so you can take the right road with further education etc!!!!!!!
I hope it all works out for you and that you get your pink car sooner rather than later!!

Hi Kylie :)

heres the thing im a fully qualified nail tech and do bits and boobs in the beauty side e.g. eyebrow tinting perming eyelash tinting shaping and waxing facials which i am qualfied for by doing seperate courses at sallys anyway my dad passed away 5 month ago sorry to hear that and seen as he paid for all my courses i want to make him very proud of me sounds like a plan to me :) but just dont know where to start.. i dont know whether to go mobile home base or try and get a salon job.. but i am on a very low budget at the moment as i am only 18 year old and get my own place and i dont seem to have any money now adays anyway when i do decide what i want (hope your guna help me decide) how do i get a client base as im only doing friends and family at moment and thats not even 3 clients a week i really want to make a go of it and make my dad really really proud of me as i know hed want me to be happy and make loads of money so i can drive round in pink cars lol (used to drive him mad about wanting a pink car) got one nw lol.. please help geeks im really ready to put time and effort into gettin a client base in whatever i decide but just dont know how .. thankyou so much..x.x.x.x.x :green:

Ok, I'll try to help :)

I looked in your profile (you need to fill it out a little more hunny) and noticed from your other posts (& just realised, this post, duh!) that you drive a car, so your options are either use your car as your base and do mobile, or from a room in your own place. Do you have room in your own place to dedicate a room or area to nails & beauty? You could be mobile for a while to bring some money in while you prepare somewhere in your place?

Do you charge your friends & family? If not, you need to, offer a referral programme to increase your client base (there's quite a bit of info on this, just do a search in the 'search' box at the top of the page or in the right hand side of a particular forum), but for e.g for every 3 new clients they refer, who actually have an appointment with you, the referrer gets something like a free eyebrow tint next time they come, or something similar - you choose.

Advertise everywhere and anywhere you can, doctors, dentists (anywhere there's a waiting room!), wear great looking nails and pull out a card every time someone says, 'ooh, I love your nails, where'd you get those done?' Stand outside school gates at home-time with flyers advertising your services and on these have an introductory offer, such as free pedicure worth £xxx when you have a full set of enhancements, or have an offer to tie in with the upcoming Christmas season.

I hope this has been of some help to you and it sounds like you are determined to make your dad proud, but you have to want to do it for you too.

Good luck sweetheart :hug:

Hiya,

Like the other guys have said, i to am very sorry for your loss and i should think that your Dad would be very proud of you what ever you do in life.

My personal opinion would be to gain some working experience in a salon even if it is a couple of days a week. Firstly you will get experience and gain more knowledge, secondley you will be earning money. After a while maybe with a little money set aside you will be able to buy your products, equipment etc. and start doing a little bit for yourself (with out treading on anyones toes i hasten to add!!!)

Ask the friends and family to help you with spreading the word at what a FAB Beauty Tech you are. Get some cards printed (they don't have to be expensive, i know that Vista Print are very cheap, have look on there web site) and give each of them a few to pass around if they would'nt mind. Even a leaflett drop might help .

Good Luck and God Bless for whatever you decide to do!!:hug:

thankyou for all ya comments definetly guna make a go of it i forgot to put on that i already have most of my equiment just nt things for eyelash perming and tinitng would you not so go for it try it mobile or something??..x

Just go for it! you have the right attitude and you will get there. get your insurance, get some cards from vista print, hit the streets handing out flyers and doing leaflet drops then load up the car and start doing your treatments.
I found that at the beginning i relied on my family and friends alot to help kick start my career then their work friends ca,me to me and it snowballed.

any more comments??.. please keem them coming!!!!..x

have you thought of advertising in yellow pages, its usually good value when its your first advert.

you can get a free line in there too
and you can register on yell.com for free.

if you have a room to spare at home that you could equip properly that would be good, or advertise yourself as mobile.

i agree that you would bebefit from some salon experience first though. maybe you could offer yourself for free to someone just to get a foot in the door. who knows what it could lead to.

Hi...i was just happen to read ur post, first of all i'm glad ur have a good head on your shoulder, i've been working in this business for a long time,and let me tell you, nothing work better than working for yourself,i just wish that i should start doing mobile to mobile sooner,rather than working in a salon for commission, but i've just start going on a booth rental and mobile as well, but lets not forget about the Stateboard rules and reg.....pain in the butt i known,i hope you know that u could only going to someone else home only if they cannot coming to the salon,and the only way to go there is that they have to make an app with the salon, it might change by now but on some other state are really easy they don't have to go thru the salon booking,but may i ask how u been doing lately since the last post, i hope that your doing well and great by now and maybe driving ur pink car too......i love pink.....Pink Powder....:)

Last edited:
Hi hunny and welcome to the forum. :)

Just a note sweet, she's in England and we have slightly different rules governing mobile therapists over here. I didn't know though that you couldn't be mobile in CA unless the client couldn't make it to a salon! You learn something new every day (so they say!) :)

Hi...i was just happen to read ur post, first of all i'm glad ur have a good head on your shoulder, i've been working in this business for a long time,and let me tell you, nothing work better than working for yourself,i just wish that i should start doing mobile to mobile sooner,rather than working in a salon for commission, but i've just start going on a booth rental and mobile as well, but lets not forget about the Stateboard rules and reg.....pain in the butt i known,i hope you know that u could only going to someone else home only if they cannot coming to the salon,and the only way to go there is that they have to make an app with the salon, it might change by now but on some other state are really easy they don't have to go thru the salon booking,but may i ask how u been doing lately since the last post, i hope that your doing well and great by now and maybe driving ur pink car too......i love pink.....Pink Powder....:)

My advice would be get another part time job, any job and carry on building a client base.Great if you can get a salon job.

Say for instance you work in a supermarket or a big store you are getting a regular wage,learning customer skills,meeting new potential customers and just getting experience of working.You can use the money for your equipment.

Its an ideal time to look for a temporary christmas job you could try boots or Bodyshop at least you are working in a similar area.Then if you really don't want to do it you are only commited until january.

Its often a long slow slog for the most experienced of therapists to make money and build a successful business especially at the moment.
Also you could have a look at your local college they will probably have short small business courses that you could probably do for free.

You are also going to have to register for tax and national insurance so tax offices around the country offer free advise days on all you need to do with that side of things.

I think that promoting yourself is common sence and you seem to have that ambition so I know you will do well.
I think If you get a job in a salon and work for someone and want to build your own separate clients it will be difficult because you will be focused on doing well for them, which is ok but depends on what you want to get out of it. Yet again i think mobile with no experience will be hard. I read a post Geeg wrote which is very true. It went along the lines of renting a room/space in a salon part time is no good because your clients will become part time and turn up when your not there and not visit when you are!
So in my opinion i would say try and get a salon job or rent space in a salon/hairdressers whatever it may be to get seen and get experience.
Whichever one you choose keep going and dont give up halfway if it doesnt seem to go well at first because these things take time i guess and determind people reap the rewards after. Believe in yourself like your Dad did and go for it hunny. x
:hug:

Last edited:
My advice would be get another part time job, any job and carry on building a client base.Great if you can get a salon job.

Say for instance you work in a supermarket or a big store you are getting a regular wage,learning customer skills,meeting new potential customers and just getting experience of working.You can use the money for your equipment.

Its an ideal time to look for a temporary christmas job you could try boots or Bodyshop at least you are working in a similar area.Then if you really don't want to do it you are only commited until january.

Its often a long slow slog for the most experienced of therapists to make money and build a successful business especially at the moment.
Also you could have a look at your local college they will probably have short small business courses that you could probably do for free.

You are also going to have to register for tax and national insurance so tax offices around the country offer free advise days on all you need to do with that side of things.

good advice gillian , im in the same situation , currently studying l3 massage and havnt got enough clients for a business yet so got a job at the local hair and beauty wholesalers near where i live . Gives me enough dosh to pay for equipment and also to learn about all the products to . We even visit trade shows such as salon international and hopefully preofestional beauty next year . Mabe u can get a job similar to this kylie . Part time suits me great and i can then build my business around it next year . hth

Latest posts

Back