Help, fellow NSI techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooshka

Reaction score
I bought a new tub of the new Body Builder gel in the soft white and the cover pink warm.

Yesterday it was time to have a play and I when I went to use them, it was impossible.
The soft white is so hard that I really struggled to even get some on my brush, then when I went to put it on my free edge it wouldn't come off but what bit did come off I could hardly move. This caused huge dips and huge peaks and no matter how much I worked it, it would not smooth out. I did a little test (out of frustration) and I lifted my brush straight up in the air just to see how stiff it really was and I got a string that was over 2 cms high and it did not fall down, it stayed there like set concrete.

Then I thought Mmmmm I will try my cover pink and I got the opposite, it is so runny I couldn't get it to stay put anywhere. We all know how runny the Glaze n Go is and the Finish clear is....well it's about in between these 2 in how runny it is.

So hence, my play time turned into a disaster and I ended up just doing a NNO in clear. I don't have the new Body builder clear, I just have the Builder clear, which is quite runny to but it's thicker than the Body Builder cover pink and this is meant to be thicker viscosity than the Builder Gel.

Does this sound right to you guys or have I got my self a bad batch or am I doing something wrong, like not working it enough (the soft white) enough or something?

They are from the same range of 'new' Body Builder Gels, if I read the blurb about them from my supplier, it says exactly the same info of how they are a thicker viscosity, cure times the same etc, so I would expect them to be the same when I open them, not so different.
Seriously when I say the soft white is thick, it's thick, it's hardly moveable.
And the cover pink, it's no workable either cause it just dribbles away before I can do anything with it, let alone not touch the cuticle etc, it flooded it before I could count to 2, Grrrrrr.

I have contacted my supplier but no word back yet but just wanted some other techs thoughts as well if this is how they are meant to be or not.

I have never had any problems with any of my NSI products, I love them but this is just a joke to try and work with.

Thanks for your thought:)

I forgot to say, I have watched Nail Angel and where they use the 'new' Body Builder Gel in white and mine works nothing like it does on the videos. There's is firm but nothing like mine.

Last edited:
Heeeellllooo:sad: anyone out there??

:)

I have used body builder & it definitely isn't that thick. It's really workable.

Maybe it has been labelled wrongly as the sculpting white is that thick

Thanks for your reply:)

Ok, lets say it is sculpting gel....how the hell do I get what tiny bit I can dig out of the pot, onto the form to make the F/E?

Cause seriously this stuff is like that really firm icing you get for cakes, I have never seen anything so thick and it just won't move unless I dig into it and this makes dips or peaks.

I'm really disappointed cause I was so excited to finally get round to using it and then this happens.

What about the cover pink though? Is it meant to be as runny as what the finish clear is?? It too just doesn't seem right, especially when you read the blurb about the apparent difference between their viscosity.
It's not far off being as runny as the Glaze N Go to be honest.

Thanks for your reply:)

Ok, lets say it is sculpting gel....how the hell do I get what tiny bit I can dig out of the pot, onto the form to make the F/E?

Cause seriously this stuff is like that really firm icing you get for cakes, I have never seen anything so thick and it just won't move unless I dig into it and this makes dips or peaks.

I'm really disappointed cause I was so excited to finally get round to using it and then this happens.

What about the cover pink though? Is it meant to be as runny as what the finish clear is?? It too just doesn't seem right, especially when you read the blurb about the apparent difference between their viscosity.
It's not far off being as runny as the Glaze N Go to be honest.

Not used the cover pink, sorry.

The white sculpting needs to be worked first.
Dig a bit out of the pot into the lid & with a cocktail stick need it (a bit like bread) then it starts to loosen up

Thank you so much for your help.

I have just been back to Nail Angel and had a look at the sculptered nail part one and I think your spot on with your thoughts of it being the sculpting gel not Body builder gel cause mine looks like the one in the video but I will say, mine still looks thicker.
At least when the girl on Nail Angel scoops into the pot, she can pick some up first go, yes the brush bends etc but she gets some, I can't, I have to really dig and from the look of her brush, we are using the same brush too.

I don't think I will hear back from my supplier until Monday now, so I will be mentioning your thoughts of it being in the wrong tub.

I will go and have another play tomorrow on some tips and see if I can't get it worked enough to be movable at least.

I really can't thank you enough, you have been a big help, 2 heads are always better than one.

when i first ordered the body builder white they sent me the white sculptor even though the pot was named as white sculptor but maybe they have put the wrong name on yours.they sent me a pre paid envelope for me to send it back when they sent me the replacement

now for the body builder cover warm pink i would say that yours is too runny compared to mine.however i dont feel the body builder cover pink gels are as thick as the body builder clear to me they are closer to just the builder gels and i have used a few pots of these now and they have all been the same so it cant be just a dodgy batch for them but it certainly sounds like yours could be a dodgy batch

Having just completed a NSI gel course (we had to work with the sculptor gel during training), from what you have described its sound like you got a scupltor gel for the white and a builder gel for the pink.

Thanks for the replies:)

I am convinced I have the sculptor gel for sure but I'm also convinced mine is still thicker than what I see on Nail Angel, I even showed my hubby to see if he thought mine was much thicker and he agreed.

As for the cover pink, it says Body Builder Cover Pink on the jar but it is not thick at all, in fact it so funny, that on the 2 nails that I ended up leaving it on (the only 2 I tried to do before giving up) they have lifted really badly cause it just flooded my cuticles, all my other nails where I ended up doing a NNO with Builder Clear have no lifting at all and the normal Builder clear is runny enough that it risks touching the cuticles.

Tracey Louise, can I ask you about the cover pink and how you find it covers the F/E or blemishes?
I had to (try) and put 2 layers on to just get some coverage and I can still see my F/E badly.
I'm hoping that it's not meant to be like this and it's just that it's too runny that caused the problem but I am now thinking that if all pots are going to give this result (no matter how runny or thick) then I won't bother.

Thanks again for your thoughts:)

Hi i hate the sculptor white but i found that once i put in on the radiator for a little while. Then worked it in the lid. I would try putting the pink in the fridge for a few mins and see if that helps. One u have put the pink on and built up the appex i turn my congratulations upside down to self level. This gives a good appex then i freeze cure each finger for ten seconds. Once all done then cure for 2 mins.

One u have put the pink on and built up the appex i turn my congratulations upside down to self level. This gives a good appex then i freeze cure each finger for ten seconds. Once all done then cure for 2 mins.

Hi
Sorry to hijack the thread but can you explain what 'turn my congratulations upside down' means and what do you use to freeze cure them as I'm using NSI products at college and we've not been told about anything that will do this - it sounds very interesting.

the cover pinks are quite good but to be honest i have tried a few and none of them give 100% complete coverage without making the nails to thick.
in my opinion nsi cover gels do cover better than others ive tried.
you will not get a decent coverage tho without using it to build the nail,if you applied it in thin(ish) layers then you would nned to do atleast 3 making sure you leave the bulk of the gel at the apex so you dont make the cuticle or free edge to thick.
here is a link of my nails that i did using nsi cover pink as the warm cover pink hadnt come out yet.it may give you a more realistic idea of coverage http://www.salongeek.com/nail-critiques/91871-nsi-new-coverage-pink-gel-pics.html

Sorry to hijack the thread but can you explain what 'turn my congratulations upside down' means and what do you use to freeze cure them as I'm using NSI products at college and we've not been told about anything that will do this - it sounds very interesting.

Hi how funny. Just re-read my thread. Dont know where congratulations came from. I typed in fingers. Im using my phone though . I turn my hands upside down keeping them flat. The gel levels in the right place. A freeze cure is when u put each finger in the lamp for ten seconds. It freeze cures so the gel doesnt move but it wont be set. Hope that helps. Ax

Tracey Louise, your pics are lovely, thank you for that.

I did try and build nail as such with the cover pink cause I could see straight away that it wasn't going to cover. Then when I put it on and it just flooded, it was near impossible to build it up as such.
But I added another thicker layer (thicker than I would normally do) and it did the same thing Grrrrr!!!:cry:
Anyway, I shall plod on......I'm actually about to put another order in today, so I am going to order another pot of the cover pink and see if the next pot is different.

abicrunch, thanks for the suggestions about putting it in the fridge, I will try this. I too do the upside down trick but when it came to this cover pink, I couldn't cause it was so runny. It actually dribbled off my nail the second I turned it upside down, so this says how runny it is.

I did get a response from my supplier and I will have to say for the first time ever, I was really disappointed with her response. I was told the problem is me, cause I'm still training and new to nails.
I was also reminded that Rise showed us this product at the seminar I went to last year and yes, she did and I remember now and I spoke to my friend who came with me and she too agreed that Rise applied it in one ball and it stayed put nicely, it was not runny.
But my supplier said that there is nothing wrong with the product cause no other tech has complained, so it must be my technique.
Was a little bit taken a back by this comment but hey, I will buy another pot and see if it is the same and if it's thicker, I will be asking for a refund of first pot.

I will get my Nail Trainer out shortly and have a play on her with these gels and see what happens. I over trying this stuff on my own nails only to have to remove it days later. Seriously the lift on these 2 nails is really bad, I prepped the same on each nails, I did everything the same except these 2 I used this really runny cover pink but all the NNO nails I did in clear, are perfectly fine.

Oh! I'm also going to buy some of the paint on white to.

Last edited:
I agree, think you have the Sculptor White which I love, I prefer that to the Body White as this has to be applied quite thinly then Body clear over the top (I bought it thinking I could build it up like Sculptor White). I love the Body Cover Warm Pink and it generally stays in place apart from one lady who has the hottest hands Ive ever known and it runs everywhere on her. I wonder as you are in lovely warm Australia plus training and maybe taking longer to apply (and therefore overworking it and loosening it like the Sculptor White?) that these could be two factors why it tends to run so much? My Cover Pink Warm is definitely thicker than the Builder gels though and my Body White is much thinner than Sculptor White. x

Hi hun, if I were you I would contact NSI direct, here's the link.
Home - Nail Systems International (UK)
Anyone can get a miss labelled pot, it happens, your suppier should have asked you to return it so they could check it out.
I've never had a problem with an NSI product, but a few years ago I had a problem with a product I'd bought from Cnd, I emailed, they asked me to return it, I did, and they agreed, their was a problem and replaced it for me.
It was no big deal, which is just the way it should be handled.:hug:

I agree, think you have the Sculptor White which I love, I prefer that to the Body White as this has to be applied quite thinly then Body clear over the top (I bought it thinking I could build it up like Sculptor White). I love the Body Cover Warm Pink and it generally stays in place apart from one lady who has the hottest hands Ive ever known and it runs everywhere on her. I wonder as you are in lovely warm Australia plus training and maybe taking longer to apply (and therefore overworking it and loosening it like the Sculptor White?) that these could be two factors why it tends to run so much? My Cover Pink Warm is definitely thicker than the Builder gels though and my Body White is much thinner than Sculptor White. x

Yes, I did think about the climate issue but what is interesting is, on the info for it on my Australian NSI website, it actually says it's made for our warmer climate.
I don't think it's a matter of over working it cause it is runny before I even touch it, if I open my pot of Finish Clear and open my pot of Cover pink and tip them gently, the cover pink actually moves around much easier than the Finish Clear and we all know how runny the Finish Clear is??
As far as I have been lead to believe, the cover pink should be much thicker and not slosh around in the pot like it does and this is before I have even picked up a bead, so that is what is annoying about it.

I get that my technique might not be great (my trainer says it is great and I'm doing really well) but I just know deep down in my gut instinct, it is not meant to be like this. I'm a gut instinct person and it has never done me wrong yet and my gut is telling me from the second I opened it, that it is not right, it's a bad pot.
As for the sculptor white, well I just give up on this one, I know it's meant to be thick, but surely not that thick that I can't dig into it. The only way I can get any decent amount is to pick it up with my cuticle pusher and even then, I can feel the hard resistance when I scoop into it, it is really really thick solid icing and I'm sure it's not meant to be that thick.
I know I have the correct brush cause she gave me the correct brush to use to use with these gels at the same time as I bought them.

It's just frustrating that's all.

Hi hun, if I were you I would contact NSI direct, here's the link.
Home - Nail Systems International (UK)
Anyone can get a miss labelled pot, it happens, your suppier should have asked you to return it so they could check it out.
I've never had a problem with an NSI product, but a few years ago I had a problem with a product I'd bought from Cnd, I emailed, they asked me to return it, I did, and they agreed, their was a problem and replaced it for me.
It was no big deal, which is just the way it should be handled.:hug:

Yes I agree Susie and that is why I was a bit taken a back by my suppliers response.
But I have some new pots on the way as I placed a new order yesterday, so I will have something to compare them to shortly and if when I get the new pots and they are the right viscosity, I will be sending them back no questions asked.

I will let you all know when my new pots arrive and what they are like.
I have actually ordered the full range this time except the a couple of pots of ones I already have and hardly use (like the Finish Clear as I use Glaze n Go).

Woops! I totaly missed your being in Australia:smack: so the links no good for you, but I'd still go to NSI direct and discuss the problem with them:hug:

:)That's ok....a lot of people miss that I'm all the way over here in lil old Australia:lol:

I should be getting my new order today and I have ordered the entire range and another pot of the cover pink, so I can't wait to open them all up and compare.

I was unable to by the paint on white like I planned cause it was out of stock but I could have bought it in a kit but I'm not paying more than I need to just to get one product out of the kit when I don't need what else is in this kit.

So as soon as I have this order in my hands, I will let you all know what the viscosity of them all is like.

If it turns out there is a problem and this original pot is wrong, then I will contact Rick or Rise myself. They both gave me their email addy's last year at the seminar and said to contact them if I ever had any problems and now might have to be that time:)

I also ordered a Polish Pro kit too, so can't wait to try this out.

Latest posts

Back