Quantcast

Help - foot problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snickers

Massively Geeky
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
273
Reaction score
2
Location
Essex
Hi Geeks

Well I've just had a really nice new lady for a Pedicure. Her feet were covered from heel to toes (including the arch) with whitish hard skin that had little holes in. Obviously after I had soaked her feet all the skin was very soft. I couldn't remove it with a normal file so removed some from the heel using a callous remover!!!! (should I have done this).

I'm not sure if it's a severe case of athletes foot or what! :sad: I have tried looking on chiropodist websites for pictures but can't find anything.

I'm really concerned and have thoroughly sterilised all my equipment. She has booked to come back in a fortnight and I would really appreciate some advice from you geeks as I would like to help solve this problem.

If any of you have any pictures of athletes foot or other dermatological disorders you have come across which has spread over this area please forward so that I can compare.

I use Gena Pedi products. I'm really worried and think she obviously needs some kind of treatment.

Can't wait to hear from you.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp.:o

x
 

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
32,644
Reaction score
1,033
Location
Benissa, Costa Blanca, Spain
I have seen skin like this many times and it will take several pedicures and work with a callus smoother to get rid of the build up of all that dead tissue.

You are right to always disinfect, and sterilize when in doubt. I don't know the name (if there is one) for this condition, but it is not an infection ... just bad neglect and build up of layer after layer of callused tissue. Best to remove it bit by bit or you could make the client's feet very sore .. after all, those feet are used to this 'cussion' now.

The good news is that you should have a regular client as it will take 3-4 fortnightly sessions to make a real difference. She should also regularly pumice her feet whenever she bathes to keep her feet well exfoliated. I have a SpaPedicure every 3 weeks and always use a callus smoother in between and I don't have any build up of callus at all now, and I go barefoot a majority of the time. We all have to maintain if we want hands and feet to stay beautiful.
 

Up To Scratch

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2004
Messages
817
Reaction score
38
Location
Nr Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire
I have also had clients with similar "whitish" skin and fortunately have a fantastic podiatrist 3 doors up the road from my salon (v convenient :lol: ) who confirmed this can be caused by layers of sweat and dry skin that's not regularly managed by the patient.

Any soreness (if applicable) can be the result of sweating (also consistent with the "whitish" appearance) and any associated smell will more than likely be due to layers of dead hard skin and sweat compressed (which, in itself, can be sore/uncomfortable). :green:

I would ALWAYS recommend a 3 or 6 monthly trip to the podiatrist to my clients. If a client suffers with severely sweaty feet, I would recommend they speak to their local chemist re Driclor, or a similiar strong anti-perspirant suitable for feet. I would recommend regular use of a foot file (I retail these!), best used in the shower. And for dry skin, I would recommend E45 cream.

HTHs chick,

G. xx
 

Snickers

Massively Geeky
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
273
Reaction score
2
Location
Essex
Thanks for your help.


The client didn't mention any discomfort or that she had any kind of infection!! I have managed to find a site with a few pictures similar and I think I've matched it up to what looks like psorias!!!!! I will inspect her feet thoroughlly next time she comes (in a fortnight) before I soak them and maybe ask her if she has had any problems with them. Do you think this is a good idea:?:

Thanks again
x
 

Nailsinlondon1

CND Shellac Ambassador
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
7,494
Reaction score
393
Location
Greven, Germany
Do you use Client record cards for all your clients even the Pedicure ones.............A section in there should include the following..............

When did you have your last Pedicure........
Have you recieved in the past treatment for.......
Athletes foot
Fungal infections
Verrucas
Psoriasis
Diabeties
Ingrown Toe nails
And so on ..............

This will give you a clear client history..........and it helps a lot when coming across little uncared for feet............

Then you can adjust your service accordingly
Just a thought ........hope this helps a little
 

Karren

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
67
Location
Whiteley, Hampshire
Hi Ruth

Slightly off the subject i know and im sorry but i was wondering if you could help me ?

Do you incorporate all your treatment questions such as those applicable to manicures, pedicures (as below) nail enhancements etc onto one Client Consulation sheet or do you have separate consulation sheets specific to the treatment the client is having ?

I thought of combining my aftercare advice information as it also doubles as advertising my other services ?

What do you do ?

Thanks

kx


Nailsinlondon1 said:
Do you use Client record cards for all your clients even the Pedicure ones.............A section in there should include the following..............

When did you have your last Pedicure........
Have you recieved in the past treatment for.......
Athletes foot
Fungal infections
Verrucas
Psoriasis
Diabeties
Ingrown Toe nails
And so on ..............

This will give you a clear client history..........and it helps a lot when coming across little uncared for feet............

Then you can adjust your service accordingly
Just a thought ........hope this helps a little
 

Nailsinlondon1

CND Shellac Ambassador
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
7,494
Reaction score
393
Location
Greven, Germany
We have seperate record cards for Hands and Feet lol......................
A box for each type of service..............
As I dont do the pedicures but our beautician does, we have them seperate..........
There is no reason why you couldn't incorporate the details of both services on one card...........Makes it easier and cuts down on the bulk of record cards.............
Just include relevant contra indications and add relevant medical history............
Basic stuff like Heart disease, Allergy's and the like cover both hands and feet, it is only the verrucas, toes nail problems aso that will have to be added...........
HTH
 

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
32,644
Reaction score
1,033
Location
Benissa, Costa Blanca, Spain
Pauline @ FN said:
Thanks for your help.


The client didn't mention any discomfort or that she had any kind of infection!! I have managed to find a site with a few pictures similar and I think I've matched it up to what looks like psorias!!!!! I will inspect her feet thoroughlly next time she comes (in a fortnight) before I soak them and maybe ask her if she has had any problems with them. Do you think this is a good idea:?:

Thanks again
x
This condition is not psoriasis, and you should not be trying to diagnose the condition yourself ... if you think she has a medical problem send her to the chiropodist, podiatrist or the doctor.

The condition she has is as described above, and you have been given good advice here. The reason I mentioned infection is that you said you had sterilized everything in sight and usually disinfection is enough.

Regular care and aftercare will help this client and if you are really unsure, then send her to a chiropodist or a GP ... they are the experts.
 

Karren

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
67
Location
Whiteley, Hampshire
Thanks Ruth, its really handy to know what other people, more experienced people do.

kx


Nailsinlondon1 said:
We have seperate record cards for Hands and Feet lol......................
A box for each type of service..............
As I dont do the pedicures but our beautician does, we have them seperate..........
There is no reason why you couldn't incorporate the details of both services on one card...........Makes it easier and cuts down on the bulk of record cards.............
Just include relevant contra indications and add relevant medical history............
Basic stuff like Heart disease, Allergy's and the like cover both hands and feet, it is only the verrucas, toes nail problems aso that will have to be added...........
HTH
 

Snickers

Massively Geeky
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
273
Reaction score
2
Location
Essex
Hi geeks
Thanks alot for your wicked advice:biggrin:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top