Help, just want a dark tan!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Severnrose

Reaction score
So I have this one customer who likes to be dark. I sprayed her with nouvatan 20% many times and it's never been dark enough, sometimes it's barely even noticeable - maybe looks more like a 12%. So I sprayed her with LA Tan Disco last night thinking this will do the trick! And she likes it, but still not dark enough. Picture is below of what the tan looks like today.

What she really wants is a tan which is the same colour as the LA Disco guide colour. Anyone got any ideas on a really dark brown tan (not golden like Nouvatan). Am gutted, thought Disco would do the trick :(

She uses original fake bake cream herself and likes that but says it's not even very dark. Also she exfoliated in the morning and I sprayed her at 6.30pm, no creams on skin etc. Do u think she just can't go dark?! Or she needs to be sprayed once then again the following day??

Any recommendations for a darker tan greatly appreciated.

Thanks x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344508241.471917.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344508241.471917.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
Could you use a 20% and add booster drops? Or double spray? Xx

I used 20% first, but it was nouvatan so golden which is why I thought it wasn't dark enough. Didn't think booster drops would make much difference in a 20% so haven't tried that yet.

Do u mean double spray as in spray twice or spray then spray again a day or two later? I sprayed her twice all over last night (will amend my first post to say this), I never usually spray twice but someone on here said they did with LA Tan so I did. In 2 weeks time she has booked in to be sprayed on the Tuesday and then the Thursday, but in the mean time I was trying to see if I could find a tan that actually goes the colour she wants first time to save her some money!

The most frustrating thing is I agree she isn't very dark...if she was one of these people who are blind to how dark they actually are then I wouldn't feel bad at all about her paying twice because she wants to be unreasonably dark. But I can see exactly what she means!

At Beach Bum we do a 20%.. called Mink 100% organic..Ecocert DHA x

Even compared to before her tan is she not very dark after wash off? I'd say if disco wasn't dark enough and she's just not really fussy then she must not tan very well. Does she tan in the sun at all? I often find with my clients, the tan deepens the darker they tan naturally in the sun. Fair skinned people don't really look that tanned but compared to before and the fact the do not catch the sun, it's a good colour for them x

I would try her with LA Fast overnight as this comes out darker than the Disco on my clients.

Even compared to before her tan is she not very dark after wash off? I'd say if disco wasn't dark enough and she's just not really fussy then she must not tan very well. Does she tan in the sun at all? I often find with my clients, the tan deepens the darker they tan naturally in the sun. Fair skinned people don't really look that tanned but compared to before and the fact the do not catch the sun, it's a good colour for them x

Thanks, I think you might be right as she said she doesn't tan very well in the sun. But then at the same time she hasn't been abroad for 11 years so hasn't really sunbathed much!

I think he looks lovely (see photo) but agree it's not very dark and as she wants it dark it's not quite good enough for her.

I've heard xen tan is meant to be quite dark, has anyone tried this AND LA Disco?

I have a client who used to develop spray tans...think she worked for Sudo! She told me that even if you were to use the darkest possible percentage of spray tan on a client it will only develop as much as that individual's skin can take! As we all know this is the same as in the natural sunlight ie my friend tans in minutes where I don't...same with spray tan!! Her skin darkens almost instantly yet mine doesn't and I can only go so dark. I recently sprayed a fair skinned client with 20% Nouvatan and had exactly the same issues.....as a dancer she felt she wasn't dark enough...yet my same friend was still sitting in the salon having just had a 16% and she was all teeth and eyes....stunningly even tan but developed really quickly and was WAY too dark for what she wanted. Then my 20% was totally gutted when she saw my 16% and realised that she wasn't as dark :-( Both perfectly lovely tans thanks to good old Nouvatan but with totally different results. So to summarise my ramblings....I don't think there's an awful lot we can do about it really.

i have this problem with one of my client too, any percentage i have used she doesnt tan dark, used suntana 10% & 12% then used another brand 16% and still not dark enough, im spraying her again this weekend, see how it goes and then maybe again the next day if need and see if gets a better colour that way x

Thank you, so the general opinion seems to be that she just won't go much darker with any brand really. But this is just with one session. Does anyone know if she is likely to go darker if I sprayed her again today or tomorrow or do you think she will probably stay the same as her skin can only take so much?

I know the way to get my answer is to try it and see but interested to know if anyone has tried this on someone who doesn't tan very well. Thanks

She will go darker with a double dip, especially if you use the same % again BUT the fade off will be a bit grim. She will have to exfoliate regularly throughout the fade off as it will probably be quite patchy and uneven

What a shame

I have a client that does not tan well in the sun and wants as dark as possible,i spray her twice with 20% LA Tan and she loves the dark colour and it develops into a deep dark tan.
I agree everyone is different and the same percentage can look different on each person i find. :)

I have a client that does not tan well in the sun and wants as dark as possible,i spray her twice with 20% LA Tan and she loves the dark colour and it develops into a deep dark tan.
I agree everyone is different and the same percentage can look different on each person i find. :)

20% LA tan? I thought Disco was the darkest?

Even using the absolute best tanning solution, there will always be someone that doesn't like it whether it be too light or too dark.

As some of you have said that if a client doesn't tan well in the sun then a spray will not be as dark. It reacts just like natural melanin - the more you have naturally the darker you will go. Also don't forget to take into account any medical issues, drugs etc. All this will affect the ability to tan with a spray.

You say she uses the Fakebake original cream herself which she likes but still isn't overly dark, if she likes that tone of colour has she tried the Fakebake extreme gel which is the same colour as Fakebake darker spray solution! Just an option maybe always come out dark for me!xx
HTH
🌸

You could try retailing her some of the Nouvatan dark mouse then on e she's rinsed off the 20% she can top it up over a couple of days to her preferred darkness.

You say she uses the Fakebake original cream herself which she likes but still isn't overly dark, if she likes that tone of colour has she tried the Fakebake extreme gel which is the same colour as Fakebake darker spray solution! Just an option maybe always come out dark for me!xx
HTH
🌸

She wants a dark spray tan not another cream or gel as she loves how neatly a spray tan goes on. I'm certain she just won't go as dark as he wants. Her hair extension lady told her celebrity secrets is the best tan but I've looked and that only goes up to 16%. I know that percentages don't always mean darker (LA 18, for example is darker than Nouvatan 20) but I would imagine that celeb secrets 16% isn't darker than LA disco. Anyway, I enquired and celeb secrets don't do free samples and I refuse to buy one when I don't think it will work. :(

You could try retailing her some of the Nouvatan dark mouse then on e she's rinsed off the 20% she can top it up over a couple of days to her preferred darkness.

Thank you, good idea but the point of her having a spray tan is so she can get away with not having to apply her own tan. Otherwise she would just carry on with her Fake Bake cream. Lol can you tell I'm getting a bit frustrated with it all now?! I've tried to help as much as I can and advised that some people just don't go as dark as others but it doesn't seem to sink in (although she told me the other day that her hair extension lady told her this, so she obviously listened to her!)

Think we are sticking with LA Disco now as it seems to be the darkest spray option without having to top up with any mousses or creams.

Thank you all x x

Latest posts

Back