Help me!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfect pinkies

Reaction score
Hello to all of you wonderful nail angels! im in need of a little help! (are'nt we all :biggrin: )
I started my business up in december last year, just renting a small space in a tanning salon, did the usual flyer dropping endless nights on end ,ads in the thompson local and big posters advertising my skills and treatments but to no avail :cry:
I still have only a few clients who are mainly friends and wondered if any of you out there have encountered anything of the same?

Im only qualified in acrylic, and u.v acrylic and soon to be in gel too so any ideas on raising my profile and how to get me out there would be soooooo greatly appreciated!!!
Huge hugs
perfect pinkies xx

Hi ya babe, I rent space in a Tanning Salon too...........yep small space............
I got involved within the salon, when I wasn't busy I started chatting to tanning clients, got to know them......answered the phone aso, I made myself visible..... offered a quick re varnish to some that seemed interested in nails, after they had there sunbed........... I figured ok I am not getting paid , but at least this way they will remember me lol..................
Also one thing that helped me a great deal was............. Every manicure got x amount of free minutes on the Sunbed......... I asked the owner and he in turn figured, that as I was paying him in a % of my takings he was recooping the loss of the minutes in my rent........... We did this as a special for one month and it got me noticed big time....... then my work spoke for itself and funny enough , some clients are no longer tanners but they are nail clients..........
Worth having a chat to the owner about some deals that could be inlcuded to get you noticed !!!!

Don't feel downhearted, it is so difficult to build up a good client base. I am mobile so its just as hard to get new clients. Its a case of keep doing leaflet drops and put little adds in shop windows. You have to remember that you may not get a responce straight away as some people keep leaflets that they are interested in then they then wait for a special occasion or something.

I have also found i have had a lot of clients who only want them as a one off as they can't afford to keep up the maintenance so don't get downhearted if they don't come back, its just the way some clients are.

Hiya,

I felt the same when i first started and found when clients came for a full set the 2 rebalances they then stopped coming, but after a monthe they wouls come back and do the same......some of my clients till do this but most wear thema ll the time.................another good way to get new clients is advertise in any local factories............i did this and have got loads of clients.........i put things like get 10% off for employees or intoduce a friend and recieve a free mini pedicure..................you can do almost anything............alos keep up to training because the more you learn the more you can offer, go to exhibitions and subscribe to some mags, i get them all and the ones from the USA are usually full of advertys but you do get to know some usefull trickd of the trade.

HTH

Amanda

Oh it is such a hard slog! I am in the same boat doing leaflet drop after leaflet drop. I am renting a table in a hair salon but, unfortunately, the client base there is mostly pensioners. However, word is getting around that I'm there and have had a few more (hopefully ongoing) new clients this week. I have been doing a 25% introductory offer which also makes their first appointment very reasonable. I am going to keep plugging away and hope to have a decent client base by Xmas. We'll get there in the end!

Ohhhh chicken i know just how you're feelin,i also have space in a salon that does hair and beauty,i'm lucky in that i am sat near the reception so people see i'm there but it is hard getting your client base going,,,,i pay a percentage of my earnings which is better than paying a flat rent as on those very quiet days you can lose out! Also at first to introduce myself i would offer the ladies that were having colour on their hair a free,yes free!,polish or hand massage whilst they were waiting this gives you the opportunity to talk about what you offer etc,,,,,the larger companies in the area i offered their employees 20% discount and have got a few clients from this,,,,i do alot of manicures and nail art,only have 5 enhancment clients so far and you know they have all come from word of mouth!
so keep your chin up,it does take time but it is frustrating i know!
all the best,,,,DEBS.x

Thank you all so much!!

I now feel a little better, especially now as i kno its not just me having or had these problems. Your advice is great so i will keep slogging away and hopefully as chritmas approaches i will be a bit more busier! (lets hope!)

any ideas on little deals i could use to get them much wanted clients thro the door? I was thinkin about have a full set done and receive a maintainence kit free?

Big Big thanks and Huge hugs to all:biggrin:

One good tip i read on here was to give customers little cards with your details on, write their name on the back of the card and for each one that comes back to you through their friends etc, they get a discount off their next treatment. not only do you get the new customers but the original customer will return for their discounted service! i thought that was a great idea x

It is really hard isnt it?
I am also in a hair salon that does a lot of blue rinses lol but actually the older ladies have all been so interested in having their nails enhanced ... seems like they didnt like to go to swanky salons coz they felt a bit old fashioned, and they are amazed at the whole process of l&p, so i have been doing lots of their nails and they are now regular clients and they are far more loyal than lots of young girls (coz as stated they tend to pick them off and only come now and again) and they look forward to coming for their "pamper day" with this in mind i am about to undertake manicure course for the ladies that want the pamper but not the l&p ...
I love the idea of the cards and discount idea too to keep both parties coming back:)
keep at it and good luck .. we will get full books in the end (and that 4 x4 that i dream of:))
Jo xx

hey have you thought of introduction parrafin wax treatments ??? excellent for the more mature ladies ! do a search you'll find loads of previous threads on this im sure

i think im right in saying its great for stiff joints etc

kx

*Jo* said:
It is really hard isnt it?
I am also in a hair salon that does a lot of blue rinses lol but actually the older ladies have all been so interested in having their nails enhanced ... seems like they didnt like to go to swanky salons coz they felt a bit old fashioned, and they are amazed at the whole process of l&p, so i have been doing lots of their nails and they are now regular clients and they are far more loyal than lots of young girls (coz as stated they tend to pick them off and only come now and again) and they look forward to coming for their "pamper day" with this in mind i am about to undertake manicure course for the ladies that want the pamper but not the l&p ...
I love the idea of the cards and discount idea too to keep both parties coming back:)
keep at it and good luck .. we will get full books in the end (and that 4 x4 that i dream of:))
Jo xx

I too work in a hair salon and it did take a long time to get going as we're not city centre or high street, in a little precinct. When I first started there it was not long after I'd qualified so all my services took an age to what people were expecting.

I have advertised in Thomson, yell.com and yell 118247 and the local rags but I don't think this has brought me much business.

Initially it was clients of the salon who came to me but now 16 months down the line when i ask new clients how they heard of me it's generally recommendations, so I thinks word of mouth is the key.

I have to say that since joining this site, I have picked up so many tips to improve myself and decrease my service time...in fact I can genuinely say that joining this site has actually increased my income. And I have a full book on each of the three days I work!

So don't be downheartened, any business takes time to build. Take all the good advice from this site and go for it.

Take it easy.

Thanks for tip re paraffin wax ... will definately look into it :)

Does anyone know if things like this will be included in a manicure course at college? I am about to enrol in a 10 week manicure course.
Thanks for any tips/advice peeps may share.
Jo xx

*Jo* said:
Thanks for tip re paraffin wax ... will definately look into it :)

Does anyone know if things like this will be included in a manicure course at college? I am about to enrol in a 10 week manicure course.
Thanks for any tips/advice peeps may share.
Jo xx
We did manicure as part of the make-up artist VTCT course I did last year, we finished the manicure part a couple of weeks early, so the teacher taught us parrafin wax as an extra. If it's not part of your course (if yours is the VTCT like ours, then I doubt it will be) then ask if your teacher can do the same. I'll bet if people know that they're gonna get an extra at the end, they'll do their best to pass early!!!;)

We did manicure as part of the make-up artist VTCT course I did last year, we finished the manicure part a couple of weeks early, so the teacher taught us parrafin wax as an extra. If it's not part of your course (if yours is the VTCT like ours, then I doubt it will be) then ask if your teacher can do the same. I'll bet if people know that they're gonna get an extra at the end, they'll do their best to pass early!!!;)
How do you do that quoty thing please?

Thanks Tina ... will ask about it
Jo xx

OOOOOOOOOhh I did it ... the quoty thing :)

Latest posts

Back