Help, my washing machine smells

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Hiya,

Hope one of you can help, I've tried to google this but it just gives me lots of ads selling products.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of the foisty smell out of my washing machine? I recently changed detergents because my mum reccomended Tesco's own liquid detergent, and I'm not sure if its the new detergent or just a co-incidence but my washing machine has developed a foisty smell, kind of how it would smell if you left wet washing in it for ages.

I empty the machine as soon as a cycle finishes so it cant be that, and I've tried to run an empty boil wash with detergent but still the smell remains. I'm tempted to run a cycle with bleach instead of detergent but will this damage my machine or ruin clothes in subsequent washes? Hope one of you can help! :D

I always use disinfectant as a rinse after washing, once a month I put bleach in and do a boil wash, do you close the door when u take wet washing out? I have tesco washing gel, the orange one? Just been on offer 2 for £4? And I love it!! Mine doesn't smell, I always use soda crystals every so often too I as a deep cleaner for my machine x

Has the washing machine eaten one of your socks? Maybe there is some fabric behind the drum causing the smell iykwim. Try and run a wash cycle with no washing, just white vinegar in the fabric softener tray. Vinegar is good for removing odors then run a couple of cycles with a nice smelling detergent and a bit of bleach.

If they don't help I suggest getting someone in to check for items that may have been gobbled up

Sorry cant be of more help

Last edited:
The hotpoint repair bloke who fixed my washer told me washers usually smell because of something to do with the areas water.

I'm always scrubbing mine out, I hate to think my clothes would smell :eek: i recently bought some calgon tablets which he recommended but I'm yet to try them out. x

half a bottle of vinegar put in drawer as well, on a boil wash - sorted mine out:D

I had this a couple of months ago -tried all sorts!
In the end I took the drawer bit out scrubbed it , looked up where the water comes out into the drawer bit was yucky (from too much softener ) I think..

I sprayed the water holes and all where the drawer goes, with mr muscle or one of the strong cleaning brands every 5 mins then scrubbed with old toothbrush then put my machine on the hottest wash and it's gone?

I also opened the filter bit (mine is bottom of machine behind bottom White removal panel ) in that was fluff n stuff -careful though as mine held a bit of water there have a towel ..

Worth a try this cured my prob x

Yep same as everyone else. Put vinegar in and put it on a boil wash
(90 degree). Leave door open after every wash to air it. This boil wash should be done once a month at least.

Its not so much the water in each area, its mainly because we tend to wash on just 40 degrees or even a low 30 degree. Dont use too much softener either. This clings to the washer a lot and builds up.

Empty the filter every so often too. Put a towel down first as water will also come out of the tube.

I do it the first of every month so I dont forget. I also do the filter on my water jug in the fridge, the same day. Oh and the shower curtain also gets washed once a month or replaced that day if its got a build up too. If Im working then I leave a note for hubby or son to do it all.

Bicarbonate of soda works wonders too, it foams up and gets into all the hard to reach areas xx

Like everyone else i have had problems with this due to being in such a hard water area (south east). Ive actually had to throw my last machine out due to hard water limescale. It also doesnt help that we have a old house, with old pipes. My machine guy told me to put a mug full of soda crystals in with every wash and once a week do a 90° wash with nothing but a towel or something in. And also to clean that detergant drawer out once a week in boiling water and that filter thing on the bottom corner once a month. I never knew washing clothes would be such a pain lol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

What about if your washing machine starts to leave marks on your clothes, in particular brown spots? In the shape of the holes in the drum? Suddenly gone v noisy too. Iv ordered a new one but want to make sure I maintain my new one do this one doesn't go the same way

I put my detergent drawer through my dishwasher, save it sitting and soaking in the sink and it comes out pristine!!

Yep soda crystals works great also I had this and my other half had to clean the kitchen drain pipes out as it was all connected and after that it's been ok x

Have u checked around the seals on the inside? A little sock got stuck in mine once and that caused my machine to smell.
But Once a month I put a small amount of bleach (same amount as liquid detergent) in the machine where the clothes go and run a boil cycle.
(If you do this though, don't use too much as it can ruin the seals!)

Have you tried cleaning the rubber seal? Lots of gunk can collect in the fold and go mouldy. I use Aldi washing machine cleaner (costs about £1) about once every 6 weeks or so :)

What about if your washing machine starts to leave marks on your clothes, in particular brown spots? In the shape of the holes in the drum? Suddenly gone v noisy too. Iv ordered a new one but want to make sure I maintain my new one do this one doesn't go the same way
Similar thing happened To my last machine right before it completely gave up!
Was sounding louder than normal and leaving brown circles on the clothes.
Used it the next day and the drum dropped (and ruined a whole load of clothes.)Felt like an earthquake in my little flat!! lol.
The brown marks where sort of burn marks where the drum was loose or something. Can't remember exactly what the man in the shop said but it was more technical than my version. x

Thanks everyone, some great advice there which I will try. Its only a 6 month old machine so shouldnt be smelling really. I've checked the seals and drawer etc like you have suggested and all is fine. I wondered if it might be a result of using cheap detergent? I used to use Ariel and it never smelled, then started to smell as soon as I changed to Tesco's own brand

Thanks everyone, some great advice there which I will try. Its only a 6 month old machine so shouldnt be smelling really. I've checked the seals and drawer etc like you have suggested and all is fine. I wondered if it might be a result of using cheap detergent? I used to use Ariel and it never smelled, then started to smell as soon as I changed to Tesco's own brand

My washing machine did this too! A local repair man told
Me it was all the gel tabs and liquid detergents I was using, he said they don't dissolve the same on low temps and sludge builds up on the outside of the drum where you can't see it!! A hot wash with borax or crystals will get rid! I've gone back to old fashioned powder detergents and have never had it happen again! ;-)

I recently started using tescos own brand liquid for coloured clothing and after a few washes i noticed my clothes started to smell funny when they dried (foisty smell). So ive bleached my washer on a 60 degree wash and swapped back to Daz and no more funny smelling clothes :) x

Is it a front loader or a top loader?? Front loaders are known to create a smell. The trick is to make sure you leave the door open affter the wash is done, usually overnight so make sure no moisture is trapped in there.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back