Help...nails coming off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasha1

Reaction score
:cry: I did my first set of gel nails on my friend last tuesday... spoke to her today and she has 5 off! Feel like crying- was soo pleased with them when I finished! She said its because of her job (air hostess) that they are coming off- but I know shes saying it to make me feel better!
Did my mums last wed and they are grand- but my mum wouldnt be hard on her hands so thats maybe why!

Did this happen anyone else at the start????

Last edited:
I think its happened to most of us to start with hun, so dont feel bad about it, and your friend could well be right, it could be her Job. They do a lot of hands on work.
So dont be down on yourself, we have all been there, and your Mum still has all hers on doesnt she, so thats good. You will get a lot of ups and downs just dont let it knock your confidence, your learning all the time and gaining experience. So keep at it and chin up ..xxxx

I did my friends the other week....(it was only my 3rd set on someone i think) a few days later she said to me that 5 had fell off....i felt a bit gutted about it thinking..i wonder what i did wrong for them to fall off...a few days later...she said a couple more had fell off.....so i said to her...'what on earth have you been doing for them to fall off?'.....she said they just keep peeling off!....so i was like...peeling off! or are you picking them off?.....she then admitted...shed picked them all off!! Then when i saw her she was like...'oh my nails are a right state...theyre all week and peeling, theyve ruined my nails'........and so I made it quite clear to her that it was HER fault her nails were damaged...SHE damaged her nails...SHE pulled her enhancements off and by doing so has pulled layers of nail off with it and if she had asked me to soak them off they would not be damaged! ....she then sheepishly apologised lol x

Thanks Suzie! Makes me feel bit better!! My trainer said to charge even a small amount, even if im not confident- to cover costs of products etc- and my time! How much should I charge to start off with- even to friends etc??

Anna- after all your work and she was picking them off!!! Also if she was to tell anyone that they damaged her own nails it would give you a bad name- even tho it was her!!!! Nightmare!!

How long before you felt your nails were good enough to charge normal price??

Thanks geeks!!:green:

I would say at least £10 to £15 to start with depending on how you feel hun, you have to cover your costs and your time, but at least you will be gaining experience. W hat system are you using at the moment? and are you still in training or finished?..xxx

Im using esn. What do you use? I did a 2 day course- hopefully going back in 8 weeks to do another day for rebalancing! I've been getting my own nails done for years so kinna knew the process- but do you think 2 day course is 2 short??

Its not long lol..I havent heard of esn im afraid so know nothing about it..x

Hiya, just thought reading your thread and thought id comment. First of all dont feel bad about the nails coming off that happens to most of us at first! Secondly i would say that a 2 day course is not really long enough as they probrally wouldnt have time to teach you any health and safety as well as application- although i did a whole year NVQ 3 IN nail services where i learnt acrylic gel and fibreglass and even after that year i wasnt competent as you need to practice practise practise that is the only wasy and unfortunatly there wasnt enough people coming to the college to practise on, so it was only after i qualified that i had to practice loads and then i became competent. Im sure you will be the same after a lot of practise keep going!!

Thanks Melissa- gonna go on and order a nail trainer, as recommended by Suzie- means I can get plenty of practise in!!

Thanks for all the replies geeks! :)

Dont be down on yourself hun my first set i did she lost 2 nails within a day!!! I wanted to cry and give up i felt usless but i kept on and that same person has had hers done since and she came last week with 2 weeks old nails all still on and she works in retails so they take a real bashing!! So pick your self up and keep practising it will come but i do think your friend may be right and its her job:hug::hug:

Thanks Suzie! Makes me feel bit better!! My trainer said to charge even a small amount, even if im not confident- to cover costs of products etc- and my time! How much should I charge to start off with- even to friends etc??

Anna- after all your work and she was picking them off!!! Also if she was to tell anyone that they damaged her own nails it would give you a bad name- even tho it was her!!!! Nightmare!!

How long before you felt your nails were good enough to charge normal price??

Thanks geeks!!:green:

Yeah i know! and thats exactly why I stressed to her it was her fault her nails were now damaged because of her...not me....dont want to get a bad name before i even start!

I dont charge anyone anything yet because im only just starting to do it on real people...so obviously im wanting to practice and find out how well they fare...if they lift etc etc...and its also taking me along time to do a full set....which makes it hard for me to get people to practice on as most people dont want to give me that amount of time to just sit there while i practice! I practically have to beg people to let me do their nails...let alone charge for it lol x

Latest posts

Back