Help needed desperately...client trying to do me over

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stepha1

Reaction score
Ok bit of a long one.

Get a call off a girl who has extensions in fitted by someone else. Wants them taking out and new putting in. Said other girl is ignoring her after she complained the hair was matted and a mess.
So I went and saw her and she had a half head in. When I say half head it was literally 2 rows of stupidly thick shrinkies. They may have been ok for someone with thick hair but this girl has the finest hair I have worked on. They were all matted and knotted up and looked plain stupid.
So I took them out and then went to see her again the next day when she had washed her hair etc.
Her hair is very fine, baby hair at the nape of her neck for about 2 inches up and then kind of in a mullet style due to inconsistent growth over her hair. She also had some short bits where previous extensions had pulled her own hair out.
Told her I couldnt be putting big thick extensions in as her hair was so fine and that I would do what I could. She was VERY insistent that she have them in as her hair is really fine and all different lengths.
So I went and fitted them (nb I had to change the fitting to a day later due to my boy and me having the trots and she was very rude and wouldn't stop texting me all day saying how I had let her down so I should have known what I was in for really). I used .5g hair as her own hair is so fine I know anything heavier will pull her own hair out. Went up to just above her ears to give her some length round the sides, think I did 3 rows above the ear, and when it was done she actually said it looked perfect. It wasn't very thick but it looked natural and I was quite pleased with how it had turned out. So she paid and off I went.

Anyway, the next thing I start getting text after text after text about how I had ripped her off and it was too thin and the hair was sh*t and this that and the other. I explained again to her that her hair won't take anything more and that I wasn't prepared to bald her and if she carried on with the thick extensions that's what would happen. But she literally was texting me over and over...even in the middle of the night. Not actually asking me to do anything but just giving me abuse. In the end she asked how she could remove them, I said it needed to be done by a professional and she asked what is used so I said I use orange oil as she was going on about acetone which I don't like using. This was about 5 days later. Then she said her hairdresser had already tried to take them out and accused me of using craft glue on her hair?!?! Finally she asked if i would remove them and i said yes no problem, i was out over in wigan that day so when i got back i would look and see when i could get to her. Then she said she was getting trading standards on me?! I said what for as I hadn't been negligent or ruined her hair, she just wanted it thicker. She said I hadn't done my job and the customer is always right but I pointed out she had been pleased at first but was now just being abusive and unreasonable and verging on nasty. She never once asked in a normal manner if I could thicken them up...just came with a barrage of abuse. So I said if that's what she wanted to do then she could but she had no grounds as I was being agreeable and had not broken any rules.
Then an hour after asking me to remove them she said it had just taken someone 2 hours to remove them (weird that as an hour earlier she was asking me) and they 'had never seen anything like it'. I pointed out that her hairdresser had been trying to take them out and wasn't trained to and I couldn't comment anymore as it was no longer my work.
Now she wants a refund and keeps texting day and night to the point where I am having to turn off my phone and my fella wants to call her!
I don't know what to do. I know I did a good job and I have never ever had a complaint before.
I'm pregnant and this is actually stopping me from sleeping and I feel sick with anxiety!
Can anyone guide me on this.
Sorry it's so long :(
Steph x

Ok bit of a long one.

Get a call off a girl who has extensions in fitted by someone else. Wants them taking out and new putting in. Said other girl is ignoring her after she complained the hair was matted and a mess.
So I went and saw her and she had a half head in. When I say half head it was literally 2 rows of stupidly thick shrinkies. They may have been ok for someone with thick hair but this girl has the finest hair I have worked on. They were all matted and knotted up and looked plain stupid.
So I took them out and then went to see her again the next day when she had washed her hair etc.
Her hair is very fine, baby hair at the nape of her neck for about 2 inches up and then kind of in a mullet style due to inconsistent growth over her hair. She also had some short bits where previous extensions had pulled her own hair out.
Told her I couldnt be putting big thick extensions in as her hair was so fine and that I would do what I could. She was VERY insistent that she have them in as her hair is really fine and all different lengths.
So I went and fitted them (nb I had to change the fitting to a day later due to my boy and me having the trots and she was very rude and wouldn't stop texting me all day saying how I had let her down so I should have known what I was in for really). I used .5g hair as her own hair is so fine I know anything heavier will pull her own hair out. Went up to just above her ears to give her some length round the sides, think I did 3 rows above the ear, and when it was done she actually said it looked perfect. It wasn't very thick but it looked natural and I was quite pleased with how it had turned out. So she paid and off I went.

Anyway, the next thing I start getting text after text after text about how I had ripped her off and it was too thin and the hair was sh*t and this that and the other. I explained again to her that her hair won't take anything more and that I wasn't prepared to bald her and if she carried on with the thick extensions that's what would happen. But she literally was texting me over and over...even in the middle of the night. Not actually asking me to do anything but just giving me abuse. In the end she asked how she could remove them, I said it needed to be done by a professional and she asked what is used so I said I use orange oil as she was going on about acetone which I don't like using. This was about 5 days later. Then she said her hairdresser had already tried to take them out and accused me of using craft glue on her hair?!?! Finally she asked if i would remove them and i said yes no problem, i was out over in wigan that day so when i got back i would look and see when i could get to her. Then she said she was getting trading standards on me?! I said what for as I hadn't been negligent or ruined her hair, she just wanted it thicker. She said I hadn't done my job and the customer is always right but I pointed out she had been pleased at first but was now just being abusive and unreasonable and verging on nasty. She never once asked in a normal manner if I could thicken them up...just came with a barrage of abuse. So I said if that's what she wanted to do then she could but she had no grounds as I was being agreeable and had not broken any rules.
Then an hour after asking me to remove them she said it had just taken someone 2 hours to remove them (weird that as an hour earlier she was asking me) and they 'had never seen anything like it'. I pointed out that her hairdresser had been trying to take them out and wasn't trained to and I couldn't comment anymore as it was no longer my work.
Now she wants a refund and keeps texting day and night to the point where I am having to turn off my phone and my fella wants to call her!
I don't know what to do. I know I did a good job and I have never ever had a complaint before.
I'm pregnant and this is actually stopping me from sleeping and I feel sick with anxiety!
Can anyone guide me on this.
Sorry it's so long :(
Steph x

I would just ignore her and if she keeps getting in touch advise her you will call the police - that is if she is being abusive and unreasonable of course

Send a message saying...

I'm sorry you felt you had to go to a different salon after I had offered to rectify your issues with the extensions, but as you've gone elsewhere I will not be offering any form of refund as other stylists could of tampered with my work.

If I continue to receive the sort of messages I've been receiving from your phone I will have no other choice than to report it as threatening and abusive behavior.

How's that sound?

I am trying but these things get to me. I take a lot of pride in my work and hate that she is doing this.
She is texting at 1 in the morning and has woken me, my boyfriend and my 3 year old up 3 times now. She text at 7 this morning just loads of ????'s.
I don't even want to turn my phone on.
I said I would remove them and tried to advise her that her hair will all fall out if she has heavy hair put in but she just ignores me and threatens we with stuff. I know she can't do anything but she is nuts and won't stop texting. I don't even have time to reply before she texts again.
I swear it looked lovely and natural. I only charged her £150 as well as I used less hair than I would normally even though it took probably more work getting it looking nice than it would usually be.
I'm gutted
Steph x
P.s. that's pretty much exactly what I said to her this morning. I said she voided my work after having an untrained person try and remove them and then another girl take them out. Told her bullying and harassing me wont make me back down as I know I didn't do anything wrong and that she literally just wanted something that was dangerous to her own hair. I've kept all the messages she is sending. I just wanted to make sure I'm within my rights basically.

Send a message saying...

I'm sorry you felt you had to go to a different salon after I had offered to rectify your issues with the extensions, but as you've gone elsewhere I will not be offering any form of refund as other stylists could of tampered with my work.

If I continue to receive the sort of messages I've been receiving from your phone I will have no other choice than to report it as threatening and abusive behavior.

How's that sound?

Much more diplomatic than me :)

Send a message saying...

How's that sound?

totally agree. No wonder the other stylist was ignoring her! xxx

I am trying but these things get to me. I take a lot of pride in my work and hate that she is doing this.
She is texting at 1 in the morning and has woken me, my boyfriend and my 3 year old up 3 times now. She text at 7 this morning just loads of ????'s.
I don't even want to turn my phone on.
I said I would remove them and tried to advise her that her hair will all fall out if she has heavy hair put in but she just ignores me and threatens we with stuff. I know she can't do anything but she is nuts and won't stop texting. I don't even have time to reply before she texts again.
I swear it looked lovely and natural. I only charged her £150 as well as I used less hair than I would normally even though it took probably more work getting it looking nice than it would usually be.
I'm gutted
Steph x
P.s. that's pretty much exactly what I said to her this morning. I said she voided my work after having an untrained person try and remove them and then another girl take them out. Told her bullying and harassing me wont make me back down as I know I didn't do anything wrong and that she literally just wanted something that was dangerous to her own hair. I've kept all the messages she is sending. I just wanted to make sure I'm within my rights basically.

You poor thing.

You've been incredibly reasonable and patient with her. But now you need to stop letting her upset you and your family.

You need to get control back of this situation. She's fully aware she's putting the frighteners on you and trying to get something back.

First and foremost, can you block her telephone number for a start? Or call your service provider and get them to put a block on the number?

If not, send one final message - something along the lines of.

I am sorry, as you have visited another hairdresser, the service I provided to you is no longer covered by my own guarantee(s).

Thank you for your custom and please do not contact me again, as I will not be providing any further services to you. Your calls and texts have been logged and an official complaint to the Police will be made if you continue to threaten me and my family by your persistent calls and texts.

Regards ..........

Hi. Im not a hairdresser but just read your post and wanted to give you a hug xx
From what I've read and from what I understand (I'm a beauty therapist - we all have the same duty of care) you advised her on what was best for her hair type and what would happen if you carried out what she'd originally asked for? She agreed to your advice and had the service? Presumably you stated this in your response texts? And presumably you have ALL texts, not just from her? Then even if trading standards do get involved I doubt she has a claim. You carried out a consultation, gave her your advice and she employed you to carry that out? Don't text her back anymore just go to the police. You don't have to inform here again of your intention. You've already done that once right? She'll either get bored when she can't intimidate you or it's harassment and pass it to the police. As long as you have done what you can, don't worry about it. I know it's pants and we want everyone to love us but people are fickle.
Chin up. Xx

Aw thank you so much everyone.
I am so stressed out over this. Never had this happen to me before.
She keeps saying...just give me some of the money back and you won't have to see or hear from me again...and I'm thinking 'so what happens if I don't'?! I've sent her a message this morning saying I won't be texting back again and basically I couldn't guarantee my work when she had had a girl not even trained in extensions start messing with them.

I'm just going to have to ignore her now then.

And yeh, no wonder the other girl ignored her! God knows what she had said to her because they actually were a mess lol!

Steph x

Omg that is just horrendous. She is off her head totally.
You have gotten some great advice here. I second blocking her number and would not reply to her anymore.
Big hugs to you xxx

Aww, I don't do extensions! But I feel for you!
Sometimes working with the public can be a pain!

Hope you get it sorted :) x x

Stop taking it personal. The spoiled brat cannot have what she wants, and simply will never be happy with herself or anyone's work. You tried to be her hero, and took all the proper steps. I would slap her with harassment papers if she persists. You don't owe her any money back!

Some people are just looking to make trouble for the sake of it. Right now she is living rent free in your head. Kick her out! You KNOW you did a good job, and by now you KNOW she is a nut case. I know it is hard, cause no one likes their integrity to be questioned unjustly. Just remember this is totally NOT about you or your quality of service. You just won the loony draw of the week. Keep your communications with her, and maybe document the entire situation while it is still fresh in your head. That way if she gets stupid and reports you, you are totally prepared and she gets to feel stupid for being an idiot. although in my experience, people who act like this are incapable of seeing how they affect the world around them, or how completely moronic they appear to those around them.:D

DO NOT go & take these extensions out, she's being very abusive & clearly trying to bully you.

What will happen if you go & she is violent?! don't put yourself or your baby under any jeopardy!

Send one last text back, simple & to the point -

'please don't text me again, you have been very rude & abusive, I haven't done anything wrong as I've previously stated. Now if the texts carry on I will be straight down to the police station, I'm a pregnant woman & could do without your sh!t' (ok maybe not the last few words lol)

Turn your phone onto silent (if thats possible) & save her number in your phone as physco & don't answer it again!! even if she starts texting calling off other numbers she'll get bored first when you don't bite too it.

Try not to worry xx

You poor thing!!! I really feel for you. She sounds an awful spoilt brat if you ask me. You have done your job correctly, given her all the correct advise and been entertaining her for longer than you should be now... I agree with 'kayapapaya' on the response to give her and then just leave it at that! Any further messages she sends you, i would simply ignore them or forward them straight back to her!!! She will soon get bored.. Chin up hun, i know these things can knock us but youve been a complete professional from start to finish---Be Proud! :hug:

Haha every message has made me feel better and better.
Thank you for all the replies.
Ill just stop reading the messages coz I know it will just p*ss me off.
Thanks again :)
Steph x

I have nothing more helpful to add hasn't already been said. So I'll keep it brief.. She sounds like a fruitloop!! End of. You're a saint for entertaining her rantings for quite so long. Hugs. Xx

Yeah I agree with everyone's replies. Some people just have nothing better to do in their lives than to cause drama, its pathetic!

In future I'd say go with your instinct with some clients, not worth the stress for you and your family. Best of luck to you and bump :hug:

hi steph... im not 100% but i think your phone network can block her number for u... i wouldnt respond to her anymore. youre not here to take abuse, she will get bored if you dont reply!

Latest posts

Back