Help needed with employee!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autumnsalon

Reaction score
I have an employee that calls in sick at least twice a month. It is sometimes up to once a week. She is only part time. She has three kids that are ALWAYS sick and that is her excuse. I am unsure what to do. With her so concerned about home life she has lost clients and her performance is sub par. She has been working for me for 2 and a half years. She has a client retention rate of 20 to 25 % and is booked 52% of the time. Advice needed on how to handle the situation. Thanks!

Sack her. Unless you HAVNT spoken to her. Sit her down and tell her she needs to shape up because her job is on the line

She is effectively running your business into the ground then if your allowing her to continue to do sub par work. There are plenty of people needing work out there. Tell her you can't put up with it anymore, it's un acceptable, sack her.

It's not personal. It's business.

New clients that have her won't think that's the quality of the therapist try another - they think it's the quality of the place and will try your competition.

Time to be tough.

You need to sit her down and talk to her, this is not acceptable.

As the others said, it's business, so unless you release her you won't have a business or just a failing one with a bad reputation

Yep! Time to get tough x

Everyone makes this sound so easy! If only.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks! I figured that. It is hard being a boss sometimes.

Client retention rate of under 25% is shocking! You need to have a chat with her at the very least, and see if there are any underlying problems at home she hasn't spoken to you about.

If that's not the case and she's just lazy and bunking off, I would be implementing a disciplinary structure. At a place I used to work at, if there were more than 3 unapproved absences (ie called in sick, not turned up as opposed to an organised doctors appointment) within a specified time (6 months, a year, whatever) then you would move one rank up the disciplinary structure. It was verbal warning, written warning, final warning and dismissal.

Good luck! Must be a nightmare having someone like this!

Join the FSB and make sure you get proper advice. Employment law is a legal minefield!

Vicki x

I have an employee that calls in sick at least twice a month. It is sometimes up to once a week. She is only part time. She has three kids that are ALWAYS sick and that is her excuse. I am unsure what to do. With her so concerned about home life she has lost clients and her performance is sub par. She has been working for me for 2 and a half years. She has a client retention rate of 20 to 25 % and is booked 52% of the time. Advice needed on how to handle the situation. Thanks!

I have a friend who has two kids and one or the other is always sick off school nearly every week. I know cos she's at the school gates. I don't know how she keeps her job!

Join the FSB and make sure you get proper advice. Employment law is a legal minefield!

Vicki x

OP - that's the UK Federation of Small Businesses. I'm sure there is a body or organization in your state that can advise a small business like yours on employment law.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've just recently dealt with the same problem I sat my girl down had a chat I also told her it would be reviewed in 16 weeks she's been a lot better. It's her review today it's getting looked at in another 16 weeks

Always call ACAS before you do anything, as it's a legal minefield.
Also remember that as a parent, she is entitled to three months parental leave.

What are the regulations/laws covering employee rights there in Wisconsin, you would really need to find out then take the correct course of action. I know these things can vary from State to State and can be completely different to here in the UK.
Do you have to follow strict disciplinary procedures, like verbal, written warnings?
There must be somewhere you can check on this and get started on procedures to remove her from your business without risk of her suing you for wrongful dismissal.

Latest posts

Back