Help! Non-existent nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailsbyjulie

Reaction score
Hi guys need some help here.... Havr been asked by a new client if there is anything i can do with her nails, they are almost non existent. I thought they would be quite short but when i seen a picture i was like WOW i have never seen nails like this.
I've attached a pic to see what anyone thinks, am i able to apply tips or is this impossible?

Thanks xxx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1315400492.457378.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1315400492.457378.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 400
Hi guys need some help here.... Havr been asked by a new client if there is anything i can do with her nails, they are almost non existent. I thought they would be quite short but when i seen a picture i was like WOW i have never seen nails like this.
I've attached a pic to see what anyone thinks, am i able to apply tips or is this impossible?

Thanks xxx

Oh my word! Is there actually anything to attach tips to? To be honest even if you did manage to squidge a tip on i dont think they would actually stay put for more than ten mins? :eek:

It would be very very difficult to anything with her nails as they are so badly bitten.

You could spend hours trying to tip or sculpt and you may get them looking good, but I doubt even the most experienced tech could get them to stay on.

I would give her a really good manicure and would apply a gel or Acrylic overlay to give some strength to the nails... hopefully this would stop her biting them and ask her to return in a week to ten days to asses them again.

Your client may want a quick fix, but that's all extending these would be in my opinion, so it will take some work on her part too.

I've had clients with nails like this (and worse believe it or not) and it's amazing how quick their nails will grow in a few weeks... A nail biter's nails will grow faster than others.

I know im just like ahhh!? I don't want to just say no ican't do anything. I like a challenge but i thibk this might be off my radar!!

She bites them? She needs to stop that before you can do anything!

Personally I wouldn't add a tip as you will prob catch the skin when blending and could be sore, also I don't think a tip would stay on!

People add tip toe nails to someone if they have one missing but just stick it on the skin (I have never done this only heard of it) but even then it's only a 24 hour thing for a wedding or something!!

Personally I'd recommend a manicure, see if you can work on the cuticles and push them back to show more nail! I think regular manicures to start with, then when you have enough nail you could try a tip on the little finger and see how she gets on, if it lasts then do a full set!

Good luck x

Thanks for the advice ladies! She said she picks them so maybe a clear overlay will stop her doing this until they grow a bit? Goodness who knows i need to see them proper, ive never seen nails like it xx

Thanks for the advice ladies! She said she picks them so maybe a clear overlay will stop her doing this until they grow a bit? Goodness who knows i need to see them proper, ive never seen nails like it xx

People expect magic but fact is if she isn't willing to help herself and stop picking biting them then tell her there isn't much you can do!! Good luck x

If I was doing these nails I would put a clear gel overlay on them...........she also has to decide that she needs to stop picking or anything you do will be a complete waste of time.........x

Omg I've never seen nails like it!! Give her a mani and a bottle of solar oil and tell her to come back in a month. Your a nail techy not a miracle worker lol xx

I totally agree on the mani and Solar Oil! Even an overlay isn't going to stay on very long. And she needs to be responsible for her own nails before she can be responsible for an overlay. If she's a chronic 'picker' then she's likely to pick the overlay off in a few days, causing even more problems.

I would give her a manicure, and explain why she needs to stop biting/picking. Then, if she's good, she can come back in 4 weeks or so for some tips to lengthen. But, there has to be something to attach to!

Thanks xxx

Wow that's crazy I am bad nail biter I thought I was an awful biter I've prob got bout 4 mm on ur clients nails lol I would defo do what the other gals are saying xxx

:eek:The saying "I'm a nail technician, not a magician.' springs to mind. :)

Thanks xxx

this is not a challenge this is mission impossible! u can do some work on the cuticles and give her a hand massage for her own enjoyment !

:eek:The saying "I'm a nail technician, not a magician.' springs to mind. :)

Someone has that on either a mug or cross stitch in the 'show me your set up' thread

* if it's you I whole heartedly apologise at being rubbish at connecting posts to names*

But that saying really stuck in my head!

Thanks xxx

Hmm. Are you able to do sculpting? I had a client with the exact same problem, there wasn't much more than about 5mm from cuticle to free edge and she was a chronic biter and picker.
I applied some very very short acrylic sculptured nails, it took a long time what with having to adjust the forms and avoid skin etc, but I did it and they lasted about 2 weeks. She managed to grow some natural nail over the course of a few weeks and because I did them a little thicker at the free edge, she wasn't able to pick her skin.
She still has short nail plates but she is now able to have acrylic overlays which still restrict her nibbling and picking.
Its always worth a go. Maybe just try it on her thumbs to see how it goes. She will have to pay a bit more in new sets, nail replacements etc, but if it helps her to kick the habit, then she will want to give it a go i'm sure.

I found acrylic nails helped me with my nibbling, I still fall off the wagon from time to time, but i'm mostly a good girl. I keep a bottle of Sparitual cutie cocktail next to my chair in the lounge and one of the pusher/pens in my bag so instead of absent mindedly mutilating my fingers when watching tv or travelling in trains etc. I can be massaging my nails.
its worth suggesting to your client she do the same. X

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

It would be very very difficult to anything with her nails as they are so badly bitten.

You could spend hours trying to tip or sculpt and you may get them looking good, but I doubt even the most experienced tech could get them to stay on.

I would give her a really good manicure and would apply a gel or Acrylic overlay to give some strength to the nails... hopefully this would stop her biting them and ask her to return in a week to ten days to asses them again.

Your client may want a quick fix, but that's all extending these would be in my opinion, so it will take some work on her part too.

I've had clients with nails like this (and worse believe it or not) and it's amazing how quick their nails will grow in a few weeks... A nail biter's nails will grow faster than others.

I would do exactly this! this is a nightmare scenario!!! GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions girls! Im booked with her early next week so i'll let you know how i get on!xx

Someone has that on either a mug or cross stitch in the 'show me your set up' thread

* if it's you I whole heartedly apologise at being rubbish at connecting posts to names*

But that saying really stuck in my head!

Hahaha yes I know, it stuck in my head also. That's not me in the set up post though, I think it is victoria from Canada. I have a mug with " I'm a beautician not a magician" written on which my sister bought me a couple of years back. I first heard the saying from a tutor about 12 years ago when I was doing a level 3 college course and I thought it was brilliant.:)

Latest posts

Back