Help please- did set of L&P this eve on client & she broke her nail seeing me out.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAILZTONES

Reaction score
OK geeks, I obviously need some help here please, its 5.00 in the morning and I've been tossing and turning all night thinking about this!

Brisa is my no.1 system, but I want to start using L&P more. Anyway this eve at 6pm, I did a new client and after consultation I decided to use L&P with Velocity tips. This lady had quite large thumbs and one of the thumbs could have done with a larger oversized tip (well at this point I really wished I could sculpt and obviously now need to get onto this asap!)

Anyway, I did all the norm prep, clearblue, mini mani, scrubfresh, primer etc etc, all was going well, except for the fact that it took me 2 hrs which is longer than normal as I'm so used to using Brisa now. The nails looked nice, the apex was good, the free edge was thin, I was really pleased with the nails and myself as I hardly do any L&P these day. The client was more than happy with them too.

On leaving her house I heard her shout my name, I returned to her front door to see her standing there with half her thumb nail in her hand, telling me that she simply just turned the key in the door and it fell off!! :grr: I was mortified:eek:, back in I went, set up yet again and spent another half hour sorting out this thumb. I just don't know what happened, at this point I was wishing I'd used Brisa as I could have just filed off what was left on thumb, but this wasn't happening quite so easy.

There were also two very impatient hungary husbands waiting to eat dinner, mine was texting me saying what time would I be home as he was cooking for me and hers was lying on his sofa saying 'how much longer I'm starving' - no pressure on me though:irked: !

This lady was my regular clients cleaner and had paid me 2 weeks ago to do her nails for her 25th wedding anniversary this weekend. Originally this lady told me that this appointment was a one off and she knew she wouldn't be able to keep them up, then when I finished her nails she said that she loved them so much that she would keep them going until Christmas and booked again for two weeks. Something is telling me that her other thumb is not going to last the distance and I will be getting a call from her sometime soon!

Should I have done anything different, apart from sculpt of course?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks all for reading.

Hmmmm.

The only thing I can thing of is either overfiling or under-applying.

What files did you use? WHat product exactly? Did you blend the tip? Did you apply scrubfresh ONLY to the natural nail? There are alot of possible factors here, and cant tell exactly what went wrong without a really clear re-tell of your step-by-steps on this set ;)

And dont sweat so much hon ;) We will get it figured out and everything will be fine :)

Sorry you had such a hard time - I really feel for you.

Don't beat yourself up over it. was it the thumb that you had trouble tipping?
it maybe that or maybe the free edge was a tad too thin.

L & P take 24 to 48 to completely cure so its likely the whilst turing the key she has put pressure on the product and its cracked off. Even the smallest of knocks within this time can weaken the product and course crack's and then days later a slight tap and its off. I dont think its all down to you. HTH

L & P take 24 to 48 to completely cure so its likely the whilst turing the key she has put pressure on the product and its cracked off. Even the smallest of knocks within this time can weaken the product and course crack's and then days later a slight tap and its off. I dont think its all down to you. HTH

I think Vicky is 100% correct. Nothing here was your fault. The client happened to break the nail while you were there and before it was fully set. SHE DIDN'T LOOSE IT, SHE broke IT. This is really so obvious. Forget it now.

I have broken many a fully cured thumb nail while unlocking the front door of a house we once had. It was an awkward door with not much room to turn the key without catching this nail and I did it several times. IT HAPPENS. Lucky for her, you were there to fix it ... and for free.

Bless you!!!! Well you're not the only one...yesterday did a full set of Brisa, and 2.5 hrs later client texts to say thumb nail broke!!!
Her natural nails were a bit beaten up... ie not looked after when she came - so when asking why the free edge was broken etc, she said she is unpacking boxes at work etc.... so we kept the enhancements short. She wanted squoval... but managed to break the thumb!! Was defo her job.
I do feel for you! Going back in a setting up again!!!! you just wanna go home! did you charge her..... I wouldn't of.... even though I suppose you should!!

Ahhhh this made me smile as this is just what happened to me on one of my first clients after training...its a horrible feeling isn't it.

I was working on her ironing board and had just packed all my stuff away....she collapsed the ironing board and PING !!! nail shot across the room....I actually felt sick. I got all my stuff back out and re-did the nail for her..then I put the ironing board away.

I gave her another reminder that she needs to think more about what she is doing with her hands...take more time and remember that although strong they are not indestructible. x

Don't worry hun...xxx

It would be a good thing to put in the after care sheet that it takes time to set, at least then if this did happen to a client and we were to turn round and say 'well you have to take care for 24hrs whilst their setting' they might just say 'well you never told me that!'

"Don’t panic if you see one of your nails beginning to ’lift’ or even break. Whilst of course it is good for your enhancements to stay put, if the nails were to become trapped or take a hard knock it is preferable for the enhancement to break away from the natural nail rather than be so strong and bonded that the natural nail comes away too. It is much quicker and less painful for me to fix a broken nail than wait for up to a year for a new nail to grow back!"

This is a quote from my after care sheet, its also on my NSS sheet.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I've been out all day working, so this is the first opportunity I've had to come on and reply.

I feel alot better about it now and had a good day with clients today, fingers crossed I won't hear from the lady and I will see her in two weeks time.

I need to crack on with the L&P and not let this put me off and sneak back into my comfort zone of Brisa.

Thanks again,

Hayley

Which Monomer are you using?....If it is CND Retention+, it is designed to be used without Primer as it covalently bonds to the natural nail and so does NOT need primer at all....However, CND Radical liquid DOES need primer as it is different in the way it adheres to the natural nail. Pro Nails in UK do extra big tips in different sizes.

You say she had very large thumbs, was the nail bed short and wide? I only ask that because I have very large thumbs and my nail bed is very short and wide. I have to use oversized tips and have noticed that the type of the tip and acrylic I use are the main factors in how strong my thumb nail is. When doing my thumbs only, I almost have to treat them as if they were bitten nails, this is what drove me to doing nails myself because I got tired of my thumb nails being done wrong.

I think Vicky is 100% correct. Nothing here was your fault. The client happened to break the nail while you were there and before it was fully set. SHE DIDN'T LOOSE IT, SHE broke IT. This is really so obvious. Forget it now.

I have broken many a fully cured thumb nail while unlocking the front door of a house we once had. It was an awkward door with not much room to turn the key without catching this nail and I did it several times. IT HAPPENS. Lucky for her, you were there to fix it ... and for free.

exactly ****ake happens! X x x

Hayley -don't forget that the Eclipse Tip Number 1 is half a size bigger than Formation / Velocity so for next time it might be a better option / that or sculpting.

BTW, you don't need to prime with Radical OR Retention+. Radical liquid created in 1992 :eek: and was the first liquid EVER on the market to be 'Primer optional', non yellowing with IPN's... you can use Primer if you wish but it is not necessary with either of our liquids.

It sort of cracks me up when people act like a monomer that doesn't require primer is a new thing... 1992 was 14 years ago. That little baby changed the face of enhancements and propably Doug Schoon's career!! (just a little FYI for you there :hug: ).

Latest posts

Back