Help, Spray Tan gone wrong!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzBee

Reaction score
Hi

I am qualified to Spray tan and have been doing it mobile for a while....However yesterday i sprayed 2 girls...the first one was fine but the second! OMG the solution was running down her legs etc! Have not slept a wink and am waiting for her to complain. feel dreadful! i tried to blit it bui was awful. I dont feel like i went too close but maybe? This has NEVER happened to me before! Her body was fine - just her legs... I am just praying that by some miricle it is fine today but cant see it!
:Scared:
What can I do? I can offer a refund and a re-spray (if she wants one)

What is good to remove the tan? I have heard lemon juice?

Shall i offer to Spray her again? but wait till say thursday after she has had a few showers?

Any advice would be brilliant!!! x

If you have not altered the gun in anyway since the first lady you spray tanned I would say the second lady had some product on her skin which caused it just run off.

You can remove spray tan by wetting a micro fibre cloth I believe. Wet it and then wring it out so its dryish and rub in circular motions.

If you gave the lady her pre tanning advice over the phone before hand and it is found she has products on her skin then it wasnt you fault.. :biggrin:

Stop paniking. Wait and see IF the client has a problem.

IF she has an issue with her legs ask her to tell you what she did in preperation DON'T ask her if she did x, y, z, get her to tell you as if you ask 'did you do this, that, the other' she could just say yes to them all even if she didn't but if you get her to say whay she did then she may come out with something like 'I moisturised just before you got here' in which case the problem is hers and was caused by not listening so you don't have to do anything - no free resprays, no discounts nothing as it's her fault.

Although the guide may have looked awful if you dabbed off the excess from the runs then her tan should turn out fine unless she had something on the skin creating a barrier.

When I tan my sister it often runs on the legs - which we worked out was because she shaved that morning! Last time she shaved the day before and we had no problem!!

When it would run on her legs I would just blot it and lightly spray over it from more of a distance or adjust my gun to be lighter. She never had a problem with the final result. The problem only occurred on her legs, the rest of her body was fine.

You'll be fine :)

Thank you all for your replies!

Have not heard from her yet....

It could have turned out fine like you say.... :s

Most likely, as others have said, she's used something on her legs. Shaving - biggest problem are the moisturising strips on disposable razors. People forget about this but it can certainly have an effect. Also make sure they don't use a "moisturising" shower product just before they come to you. Another biggy for preventing the solution from penetrating effectively.

Liz

Hi

I am qualified to Spray tan and have been doing it mobile for a while....However yesterday i sprayed 2 girls...the first one was fine but the second! OMG the solution was running down her legs etc! Have not slept a wink and am waiting for her to complain. feel dreadful! i tried to blit it bui was awful. I dont feel like i went too close but maybe? This has NEVER happened to me before! Her body was fine - just her legs... I am just praying that by some miricle it is fine today but cant see it!
:Scared:
What can I do? I can offer a refund and a re-spray (if she wants one)

What is good to remove the tan? I have heard lemon juice?

Shall i offer to Spray her again? but wait till say thursday after she has had a few showers?

Any advice would be brilliant!!! x
hi hun what tan are you using if u don't mind me asking x

I have had these problems in the past, i very nearly gave up tanning because of it! I now use nouvatan & have done 4 tans using this solution & have got on just perfect, no runs/drips etc.. :)
I have my gun set at 8 on the nozzle at the back, I do a full body spray & then I mist over a second time very quickly, I use approx 45-50ml per person, i dont spray slow or fast im somewere in the middle i think lol

how i do it seems to be working for me.

like others have said though if your first client was ok, it shows it's probably not your technique & more like the 2nd clients own fault x

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies!

Have not heard from her yet....

It could have turned out fine like you say.... :s

This might make you feel better.

I did a tan for my brothers now ex girlfriend maybe a month after id qualified

she does hair extensions & is always busy with clients so I just needed to impress!! I did her tan & it was everywhere, I'd used about 150ml of solution :eek: the tan had beaded up in her boney bits on her ankles, & sat on her chest :eek: it looked horrid

I got myself into such a state (like you have) but guess what.... the tan was fine :) she phoned me to say she was impressed & even recommended me on to her clients.

why don't you be brave & text your client & say, hi just wondered how your tan was? some people may not agree to text her, but I would, it may settle your mind? x

I bet she waxed her legs early on that day or the day before, that happened with one of my clients once, the wax residue seemed to be on her skin and the tan just ran down her legs, when she washed it off it was a little streaky so we just topped up her legs again, turned out fine.

Poor you, I know that feeling although you should try not to worry until someone has actually complained.

I spray tan 2 ladies, same tan one after the other and on one the tan always runs on her lower legs. I dry the tan a little with the hose on my machine before moving to the next area and it always turns out just fine (although I was worried the first time). I realise now, it is just the guide that is running.

I tend to find if the tan runs at all it is on the front calf area of slimmer ladies so if worried you could spray further away or turn the machine down slightly for the legs.

Fingers crossed for you there will be nothing to worry about :biggrin:xx

Thank you so much for all your comments!!! You have really made me feel better...

I never did hear from her

I was going to text her but my friends said dont! ahh!

Thanks again everyone :) xxx

I always text a new client the day after a spray tan....almost always they are very happy...on the v rare occasion tan is not right or they have a question I can address any issues (usually wrong prep)...I feel it's good client service😊

Sometimes though, texting could be giving the client an opportunity to complain when they normally wouldn't. Also could give the impression you're not very confident in your work.

I never text, if they have a problem they know how to get hold of me!

I'm sure as you haven't heard from her everything is fine :)

E x

Sometimes though, texting could be giving the client an opportunity to complain when they normally wouldn't. Also could give the impression you're not very confident in your work.

I never text, if they have a problem they know how to get hold of me!

I'm sure as you haven't heard from her everything is fine :)

E x

Sorry but I have to disagree re texting...it's always appreciated and I think it shows confidence as I'm not afraid to ask....it's been my experience in the last three years....also, especially with groups, each person has my contact details so I tend to get further bookings..

Latest posts

Back