Help! Wax on client's top!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wax easily comes out with oil. I think you'll have to pay her as she can cause problems but it irks me that clients moan about such silly things. She should have listened to you firstly and secondly who wears a top they value so dearly when being waxed [emoji37]

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I'm not trying to get out of paying for the top I wouldn't expect someone to pay for it if it was me in this situation I advised her on what to do and she completely ignored me I obviously value my reputation and did ask her to come in on Tuesday to discuss it face to face as too often things like this get taken the wrong way over text. Something I really wanted to avoid.

She actually ended up coming in yesterday regardless obviously really unhappy so I offered her a free bikini wax which she accepted. I still feel as though she just wanted to get something for free but at least it's been resolved now! Just glad she's not started slating me online as I was very professional with her!

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I'm not trying to get out of paying for the top I wouldn't expect someone to pay for it if it was me in this situation I advised her on what to do and she completely ignored me I obviously value my reputation and did ask her to come in on Tuesday to discuss it face to face as too often things like this get taken the wrong way over text. Something I really wanted to avoid.

She actually ended up coming in yesterday regardless obviously really unhappy so I offered her a free bikini wax which she accepted. I still feel as though she just wanted to get something for free but at least it's been resolved now! Just glad she's not started slating me online as I was very professional with her!

I'm sorry to strongly disagree, but you weren't very professional, at all!

1. You spilt wax on her top. You made a mistake and it's 100% your responsibility to fix that.
It's no different to getting your hair coloured and the hairdresser spilling tint on your top.

2. As soon as she told you, you should have offered her the £15 to replace it. (That's a very cheap price for a top in my opinion, so you shouldn't even have quibbled.)

3. 'Trying it on' - This is completely different to a client complaining that the cut is too short, wrong shade of blonde etc and demanding £100 compensation. You sound a bit silly, to be honest. She didn't have a wax appointment just so she could make you tip wax on her to claim for a cheap £15 top, did she?

If I was your client, I wouldn't ever return. If she does come back, you have one more chance to put this right. A free bikini wax is not enough and you should apologise again for your mistake and give her a little freebie gift to say sorry for mucking her around.

That's what I'd do in your situation.

I agree with AcidPerm. It is not the clients fault at all. If i was going for a bikini wax i would wear old knickers but wouldn't think I needed to wear an old top!

If that was me, I'd be apologising so much, giving them the £15.00 and offering a discount! I would also give them tips on how to try and get it out if they're wanting to attempt it.
And im sorry but how did you get wax on her top if you done a bikini wax ?
We all make mistakes it's just up to us to save our reputations. X

AcidPerm I never said it was the clients fault. It has now been resolved she was happy with the free bikini wax and I certainly did not muck her about. I said she was trying it on because at that time I hadn't seen the top and she was telling me there's a blue stain and as I stated my wax isn't blue. With respect, you don't know what was said to the client and I was extremely professional. Also when I say it was the tiniest dribble of wax I mean it. It couldn't even be classified as a 'spill'. I have also apologised profusely to her. So thank you for your opinion but please don't doubt my professionalism

Last edited:
If that was me, I'd be apologising so much, giving them the £15.00 and offering a discount! I would also give them tips on how to try and get it out if they're wanting to attempt it.
And im sorry but how did you get wax on her top if you done a bikini wax ?
We all make mistakes it's just up to us to save our reputations. X

I did apologise and I gave her numerous suggestions of how to get the wax out none of which she tried after completely ignoring me when I told her not to scrub at it and to just put it in the wash normally in the first place.

I have no idea how the wax got on her. It was a tiny dribble and I've gotten worse off my own clothes many a time from just sticking it in the wash.

I think it's unfair to compare a drizzle of wax to a hair tint stain. Strip wax does wash out very easily from clothes , It would be like spilling some shampoo or conditioner on a client and they complain it left a stain…. even though you know it probably didn't ;) I suppose in these cases you have to give them the benefit of the doubt , and while i would probably do whatever it took to keep the client happy, i would have my suspicions LOL

Well at least the client is now happy :)

I'm not a beautician, but I can't really work out how you'd manage to get wax on a clients clothes, surely the towel is covering them? It's not like you'd would be moving a waxed spatula over the clients items? X

I'm not a beautician, but I can't really work out how you'd manage to get wax on a clients clothes, surely the towel is covering them? It's not like you'd would be moving a waxed spatula over the clients items? X

They don't have an entire towel on the generally. You move it about and clients love it too. Depending on set you may have to go a distance with the spatula full of wax to the persons body and this can lead to dripping.

Wax easily comes out with oil. I think you'll have to pay her as she can cause problems but it irks me that clients moan about such silly things. She should have listened to you firstly and secondly who wears a top they value so dearly when being waxed [emoji37]
Krum are you serious about suggesting one should not wear a dearly valued or expensive top to be waxed?
Should one go to the salon in joggers in case an accident happens to them?
Lastly, if it irks you that clients moan about such silly things as wax being dropped on them, may I suggest you are getting irked about the wrong things!
I have dropped wax on a client before now, I expect most therapists have. It does happen. It's not an 'on purpose' it's an accident. And its how you deal with 'such silly things' that will be the difference in losing or retaining a client.
Why, when the fault is with the therapist, is customer service so difficult to provide ... it should be one of the cornerstones of business.

Krum are you serious about suggesting one should not wear a dearly valued or expensive top to be waxed?
Should one go to the salon in joggers in case an accident happens to them?
Lastly, if it irks you that clients moan about such silly things as wax being dropped on them, may I suggest you are getting irked about the wrong things!
I have dropped wax on a client before now, I expect most therapists have. It does happen. It's not an 'on purpose' it's an accident. And its how you deal with 'such silly things' that will be the difference in losing or retaining a client.
Why, when the fault is with the therapist, is customer service so difficult to provide ... it should be one of the cornerstones of business.

I wouldn't wear something delicate or dry clean only for example to have any treatment or hair treatment.
Wax does easily come out of any other fabric though so. I'm saying as a customer I wouldn't make such a fuss. I am a customer for lots of different things and I wouldn't dream of making a fuss over this.
But I am aware that people do moan so I would pay it if I were in that situation and of course would apologise that doesn't mean I wouldn't think in my own head that they need to chill out though.
Clients often moan about petty things. We are allowed to think they are wrong as long we do provide good customer service in response.

I wouldn't wear something delicate or dry clean only for example to have any treatment or hair treatment.
Wax does easily come out of any other fabric though so. I'm saying as a customer I wouldn't make such a fuss. I am a customer for lots of different things and I wouldn't dream of making a fuss over this.
But I am aware that people do moan so I would pay it if I were in that situation and of course would apologise that doesn't mean I wouldn't think in my own head that they need to chill out though.
Clients often moan about petty things. We are allowed to think they are wrong as long we do provide good customer service in response.
I have read and understood your position on this.
Good customer service though isn't about giving clients what they want if you think they are wrong.
It's about listening to the client's problem and dealing with it in a fair way.
That does not mean compromising yourself if the client is wrong.
Peace and respect xx

Tbh I have never considered wearing something older or different when visiting the hair salon I just assume the hair dresser won't get dye on my clothes! Same with waxing or any beauty treatment just never considered it, so I assume other clients wouldn't x

Whilst it was your fault and possibly you should pay I kind of think it's a shame people are so quick to make a fuss over something so small if this happened to me and I was your client even if it was my most expensive favourite top id understand you made a mistake and not expect money or anything off you but that's just me maybe I'm completely wrong [emoji12]

Really it's better she has said something and allowed OP to rectify it and the opportunity to keep a client. I think it's a bit unfair of ppl to say she is being difficult for no reason. It's well known a lot of British ppl are too polite to complain they just never re book x

Really it's better she has said something and allowed OP to rectify it and the opportunity to keep a client. I think it's a bit unfair of ppl to say she is being difficult for no reason. It's well known a lot of British ppl are too polite to complain they just never re book x

Who says she'll rebook anyway?
I didn't say don't offer her the money or apologise I just said I personally think she's being petty and difficult but I wouldn't ever say that to the client. What's the issue with having that thought?

I think she's trying it on because she's not following my advice and is saying that the 'stain' is blue. My wax isn't blue haha so I have no idea what she's talking about. I've asked her to come in on Tuesday so we'll see what she says then. If shed followed what I told her in the first place the wax would have come out.
I dont mean to sound bitchy but to me your conment "if she followed what i told her in the first place the wax would have come out" should be more like- if you didnt drop wax on her on the first place this wouldnt be happening! We all make silly mistakes and this is your mistake. Id just give her the money to replace the top you dropped wax on and be mindful of protecting clients clothing in the future.

Latest posts

Back