Help! What should I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've pondered a little on this dilemma of yours and this is what I think I would do.

I would text email her back and say:

I'm so sorry to hear that that you are unhappy with the weekend lashes and nails I did for you recently.

I wish you had sent me a photo straightaway so I could see what you were unhappy with!

I will happily do both treatments again for you if come to my house on the xxxxxx (date) at xxxxx (time). (you could offer a couple of days and times within a one week period if you wanted to)

This offer is only valid for the above time frame and I look forward to hearing from you.

I hope you enjoyed the wedding.

There's a very good chance she won't come and you will look like the good guy. And if she does come I would suck it up and do it again rather than give her one single penny. Which is what she wants!! She doesn't want the lashes or the nails cos she's already had them for the event, she wants the money.

If it comes to it and she arrives I would replace exactly what she had. No substitutions.

I'm assuming your friend is a good one?

Jacqui xx

Im inclined to agree with Jacqui.
If she turns down your offer and still wants her money back you will just have to explain that had you seen what the problem was it 'may' have been something you could have done for her (for instance if it was down to workmanship which is highly unlikely as you do not have a list of complaints following you around :D )
As you have not been presented with the 'evidence' of the state of her nails you are in no position to offer her anything other than your time and redo her nails, which is a fair and resonable offer. ;) as to the eyelashes i wouldnt redo they are only ment to last a night or two anyway so they served their purpose and she has had her monies worth from them.
do not be drawn into going over to her again stand firm, the offer is to come to you on xyz date and times.
chin up chic im sure it will work out fine

I agree with Jacqui and Belle De Jour as to what you should offer or not.

The only other suggestion I would make is, please make up a policy for this type of situation, you can put it on your aftercare advice sheet maybe.
If the client knows your policies upfront, they are less likely to even ask for a refund and you avoid these kind of problems.

Don't worry about what she will say to your offer, your the one stressing yourself out over her reaction and there is no need for it, just stay firm but professional and keep reminding yourself you have never had complaints before, so it's very unlikely anything you did wrong.
Just send the text, put the ball in her court and get on with your day, she will either say yes or no and if she says yes, then just stay professional and redo her nails for her with a smile on your face and a huge amount of confidence in the air to let her know, she does not intimidate you in any way.
I agree in NOT doing the lashes again too, they were only weekend ones and she got her full use out of them.

Good luck and let us know how it pans out.

If you still have time, add into your text or email that you do not offer refunds under any circumstances.

If she kicks up any kind of fuss do not get drawn into it with her, calmly tell her that you do not refund. Ever.

Advise her that your offer to redo the nails is the best you can do given the fact that you didn't get a chance to see the problems and you have had to rely completely on her honest evaluation of the perceived situation.

Then forget about her!!!

Jacqui xx

If you still have time, add into your text or email that you do not offer refunds under any circumstances.

If she kicks up any kind of fuss do not get drawn into it with her, calmly tell her that you do not refund. Ever.

Advise her that your offer to redo the nails is the best you can do given the fact that you didn't get a chance to see the problems and you have had to rely completely on her honest evaluation of the perceived situation.

Then forget about her!!!

Jacqui xx

I like this answer and it's the one I would use myself.

That's a good idea. I still have made myself text her back yet. So I think I will add that to it. I haven't heard from her since. So I'm just going to try and word the entire message and then send it.

Expect her to be adamant about a refund because that sounds like what she wants...and all she wants. But you have to stand firm. As stated before, she took the time to go elsewhere and have them redone, right? So she certainly could have taken the time to come by and let you see the problem, had there been one, so there is no excuse. NONE!!! Not only would I not give her a refund, I would not do her nails over for free or at a reduced price. Someone came up with a great analogy.

The analogy: If she were to purchase a dress, wear it for the evening and the dress were to fall apart then she threw it in the garbage, would she expect the store to give her a refund without the store having seen the dress? Would she expect a partial credit toward the purchase of a new dress, again without the store having seen the dress? She wouldn't even dare try it. They'd laugh at her.

Should I even bother texting her back? I last heard from her saturday evening

It has probably just dawned on her how much she spent on her BIG day & is looking for ways to recoup some of the money.

I would definitely need a photo (of before & after she took them off as you can tell if they have been prised off) before suggesting doing any thing.

Should I even bother texting her back? I last heard from her saturday evening

I think you're damned if you do and damned if you don't now.

If you don't she will be cross as you've ignored her and if you do and say your piece she could come back guns blaising again.

Reply using the advice the others have said as it's good, but maybe start with saying "sorry for the delay but I have been consulting other professionals for their opinion and the general consensus within the industry is no refunds due to not being consulted first and given the opportunity to see any problems and make good any repairs that may have been required"- just so she knows you won't be down trodden and you're not alone!!

oh don't copy me word for word as i'm useless at spelling and punctuation!!

good luck hun!x

In a respectful manner I suggest you don't say you've been seeking advice from other professionals .. You need to give the impression that you are in control of your business, keep it short, firm and to the point.

Its none of her business where you get your professional 'help' from.

Jacqui xx

Its none of her business where you get your professional 'help' from.

Jacqui xx

Agreed. By letting her know that you sought outside assistance, this may show a kink in your armour. We all know you've asked for advice but she doesn't need to know that.

I'd take Jacqui's advice and not mention that you sought any. Just say it and be firm because YOU KNOW YOU'RE RIGHT. Plain and simple. And just envision us all standing behind for support as you say what you've got to say. We're here.

You could always just tell her to "Take a Long run off a short cliff" lol. x

I think you're damned if you do and damned if you don't now.

If you don't she will be cross as you've ignored her and if you do and say your piece she could come back guns blaising again.

Reply using the advice the others have said as it's good, but maybe start with saying "sorry for the delay but I have been consulting other professionals for their opinion and the general consensus within the industry is no refunds due to not being consulted first and given the opportunity to see any problems and make good any repairs that may have been required"- just so she knows you won't be down trodden and you're not alone!!

Totally agree....could also add in " & no photo"

This is something we should all be saying in this situation, so they don't think that they can then go on & do it to other professionals.

I bet if they do to one tech they will be very likely to do it again.

hi there

i think what the other geeks are saying are correct, if she had gotten in touch with you straight away, the problems could have been looked at and rectified asap.

i as a nail technician deal with clients like these on a monthly basis, there is always someone who wants this and that, you do the work, and theyre on the phone a day later saying there whole set of acrylic nails have fallen off!!

no love, you picked them off, they dont just fall off lol! so they expect a whole new set, which is double the work. you obv dont mind fixing a broken nail, but when its 10, no, its their doing. i use quality products on my clients and have paid a lot for training, my other regular clients do not have a problem with theyre acrylics!

these people are just chancers, dont want to pay out the money but expect the service! i would offer her nothing, she had no right slandering your name to other beauticians. and they shouldnt have encouraged her either, but of course, theyre taking her money lol! so they will agree with the client! this is why i work for myself also!

hope you resolve the situation hun , but be firm, say no x

Latest posts

Back