Help With Glitter Toes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strawberryred

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have recently started doing glitter toes on myself, and i've noticed that after I put a layer of gel, then glitter, then cure, when I try to put the 2nd layer of gel on, it's still really wet, and none of the glitter has set. I tend to just move the glitter all around. I thought it was suposed to set, and the glitter would bond with the first layer of gel. Anyone know why this could be happening? Thanks!

undercuring.
if your glitter is a darker colour, its more difficult for the u.v rays to penetrate and you need to give it extra time.

make sure that your uv bulbs are fresh too, or there wont be enough output of uv light to work well.

hav a scroll through my blogspot and there is a tutorial for glitter toes that might help you. on my website there is another tutorial where i have used a slightly diferent method too.

I thought that might be the case, but I cured it for 4-6 minutes after I kept having that problem, and it didn't seem to help any. i have new bulbs in, and my light takes 4 9watt bulbs, so I know that's correct. Could it be the gel? It isn't a name brand or anything. Once I get the second layer on and cure that, and then put the finishing coat on, it is nice and hard, but I can't get the 2nd layer of gel on without the glitter going everywhere/coming off completely.

It could be many reasons why you are having this problem but the main one will be that you are not trained to do nails,
book yourself a course and then you will know the correct way to do this and will learn about different products to.

I just do them on myself, and I know not to offer them to other people. I don't have the time/money/ability to go take a course that is just so I can do them on myself. Thought I could get some advice on what is wrong.

I understand what you are saying hun but this is a professional forum and it would not be very professional of us to advise you how to perform a treatment that you have no training in,
it may all look very innocent but at the end of the day it is playing with chemicals that you do not know anything about,
we always advise people to get trained first as a big major part of learning how to do nails is to learn the health and safety when working with these chemicals, so that you do not do any damage to your self or the health of your nails,
if you can afford to buy the products you can afford to save up for the training.

Actually I do know about the chemicals involved and things like that. I have had college training outside of the beauty world, and I do my research before I get into things. In my state a nails couse costs at least $2000 or more depending on where you go. I have had training in manicures and pedicures, and I know all about sanitation processes, etc. I understand how important training is, since I had to go through 1200 hours of skin care training to get my license in that, but I do not agree with you in this situation. I will continue to do my research until I find the answer to my question.

By the way, looking on this site, as well as others, I have seen several people who are nail techs state that they have no experience or training in gels and want to know the best way to do glitter toes. All of them have received help. How I am different from them, since neither of us have any training/experience using gels, but they want to do it on clients, and I only want to do it on myself?

By the way, looking on this site, as well as others, I have seen several people who are nail techs state that they have no experience or training in gels and want to know the best way to do glitter toes. All of them have received help. How I am different from them, since neither of us have any training/experience using gels, but they want to do it on clients, and I only want to do it on myself?

Could it be they have training in nails regardless of it been gel or L&P ?

As you have stated yourself they are nail techs who have had the training and know all about health and safety and hygiene etc
and because they are already trained in the most important areas this is why they get advise,
also we know that these are techs that regularly attend training courses to keep them up to date with the latest methods and have lots of experience of working on nails and are more than likely trying out a new system before taking on the training,
you can spit your dummy out and stomp as much as you like with me and disagree until you are blue in the face but i or any one else who is a true professional will not give advise to the untrained.

Last edited:
Could it be they have training in nails regardless of it been gel or L&P ?

I'm sure they do have training in L&P, but they stated they have no training in gels. I also have had training/education in health and safety and hygene and know the risks involved. I just don't have training in gels.

If you are unwilling to help me, that is fine. It is your choice, and I will not fault you for that. I was just hoping for a simple answer to my question. Like I said, I will continue to do my research and figure out what is going wrong.

Good luck to all of you in all you do.

Hi,

If you are using glitter in your gel then you would need to cure for longer, ie, if you usually cure for 90 seconds then cure for 2 mins. Hope this helps.:lol:

As you have stated yourself they are nail techs who have had the training and know all about health and safety and hygiene etc
and because they are already trained in the most important areas this is why they get advise,
also we know that these are techs that regularly attend training courses to keep them up to date with the latest methods and have lots of experience of working on nails and are more than likely trying out a new system before taking on the training,
you can spit your dummy out and stomp as much as you like with me and disagree until you are blue in the face but i or any one else who is a true professional will not give advise to the untrained.

We said it is about time someone has had the guts to say how they feel re training.. I couldn't agree more on what you have said honey good for you

I'm sure they do have training in L&P, but they stated they have no training in gels. I also have had training/education in health and safety and hygene and know the risks involved. I just don't have training in gels.

If you are unwilling to help me, that is fine. It is your choice, and I will not fault you for that. I was just hoping for a simple answer to my question. Like I said, I will continue to do my research and figure out what is going wrong.

Good luck to all of you in all you do.
you don't have to be trained in gels in order to do gels. As long as you are a licensed nail technician you can use whatever system or products you want to use. And what you could do about your toes is polish them with glitter polish so that its safer for you. Hope you don't take this in offense.

Latest posts

Back