Help with onycholysis please!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
I have been doing a clients nails now for several months. L&P. She comes into the salon regular as clockwork pink and whites. Trouble is she is a serial nibbler/picker. In fact she's so bad she's actually got her fingers in her mouth whilst I'm doing the second hand. It's a real nightmare.Every fortnight she would come in with about 2 or 3 nails missing telling me that they had just 'come off ', okay!!Anyway one day I notice a really bad nail separation on one of her fingers. I told her I wouln't be able to put another enhancement on that finger until it cleared up.She came into the salon today telling me she would like a new set asap. But the nail dosn't seem to be improving. How long does it usually take before an improvement and does it need medical attention?She went to the chemist who said it was an infection but that is not what it looks like to me. There is definately nail separation. Any advice greatly appreciated. She has given her nails a rest in the meantime but it's only a matter of time before she will want them re newed,like NOW!!!

Hi

I had onycholsis on one of my nails when i caught it in a car steering lock nearly passed out in pain. I left it too heal for a while but before it was gone completely i put a new extension on which actually made it worse had it back almost to the cuticle, so i took it off until it had completely grown out approx 4 months. Now the nail is fine and i have'nt had it come back.

Shelley

how far up does the onycholysis go ? it usually dissapears as the nail grows out, but the slightests knock on the free edge can cause the problem to travel.you must keep the free edge short to prevent it getting worse.

Thanks Shelly. My client had this about 2 mths now and when she came in today looked no better at all.Its a pain to be honest cause its self inflicted.She loves extensions but you know when you get a client thats just not suited? well that's her(at least til she stops nibbling):grr:

angel fingers said:
how far up does the onycholysis go ? it usually dissapears as the nail grows out, but the slightests knock on the free edge can cause the problem to travel.you must keep the free edge short to prevent it getting worse.
About half way up the nail, one corner. Looks no better after 2 mths, keeeping her nails short and not doing extensions til gets better, trouble is serial picker.What can I do,Help!!!

Hi

I wear extensions all the time its my selling point but i really had to persevere with this as putting extensions on only made it worse. I also used solar oil every day i think this helped.

Shelley

Shelley Clarke said:
Hi

I wear extensions all the time its my selling point but i really had to persevere with this as putting extensions on only made it worse. I also used solar oil every day i think this helped.

Shelley
She's a very strong minded lady and I know she going to start getting impatient, just a matter of time. But I wont give in. So it should just grow out then, with no medical intervention??

Hi

Yeah it will grow out and from my own experience its best to wait until completely gone or you will just make it worse. Try and stick to your guns although i know its hard sometimes.

Shelley

i dont think that there is any medical help for it. you can advise her to rub in oil to encourage growth.

what about a compromise could you put extensions on the 9 others and then paint them all with enamel so that the poorly one doesnt look odd.

Shelley Clarke said:
Hi

Yeah it will grow out and from my own experience its best to wait until completely gone or you will just make it worse. Try and stick to your guns although i know its hard sometimes.

Shelley
yes your right there. If you met my client you would know what I meant.LOL.She once came in and told me that a salon she had been in before had stuck the tip on, no pre blending nothing. Whole tip on,L&p over the top because she had problem keeping her nails on(wonder why, LOL) anyway she expected me to do nails the same.I said no way, in the nicest way one can. She said nails stayed on much longer. I told her tip was just the canvas it was the overlay that gave the strength, anyway got there in the end, but she's very upper class and not the easiest one to assert yourself with. But, hey! we're the one's with the qualifications eh!!!!

angel fingers said:
i dont think that there is any medical help for it. you can advise her to rub in oil to encourage growth.

what about a compromise could you put extensions on the 9 others and then paint them all with enamel so that the poorly one doesnt look odd.
Mmm well tried that initially but she wants all of them done. She will have to be patient I guess cause I 'm not going to put extension on that nail.Hope she will wait.

Hi there,
Just thought I would jump in here...

I would also explain to her that putting an extension on that nail will sort of camoflauge the onycholysis and that's not something that should be done. Explain to her that there's a very good chance bacteria could grow in it because it's dark, dirty, moist, and warm. Tell her she needs to keep an eye on it until it's healed to prevent this and to keep it as clean as she can. HTH

Carmen

Carmen said:
Hi there,
Just thought I would jump in here...

I would also explain to her that putting an extension on that nail will sort of camoflauge the onycholysis and that's not something that should be done. Explain to her that there's a very good chance bacteria could grow in it because it's dark, dirty, moist, and warm. Tell her she needs to keep an eye on it until it's healed to prevent this and to keep it as clean as she can. HTH

Carmen
Thanks Carmen,I have kinda explained everything to her but I know as time goes on its just going to get harder and harder. She's a strong character and its certainly a case of letting her know who's the boss on this one. Trouble is I know that in the meantime she will continue nibbling and picking which isn't going to help with her problem at all.When she's got her fingers in her mouth I tell her that she shouldn't be doing that but she dosn't even realise that she does.:grr:

you can only tell her the truth though can't you? any good, informed and educated nail tech will recognise oncholysis and shouldn't put enhancements on her (if she does decide to go elsewhere!) if someone does do it for her, it won't be long before she comes back to her prob because her nail has nearly fallen off! stick to your guns. you are providing her with a professional service. it's annoying when people won't listen!!

kadie said:
you can only tell her the truth though can't you? any good, informed and educated nail tech will recognise oncholysis and shouldn't put enhancements on her (if she does decide to go elsewhere!) if someone does do it for her, it won't be long before she comes back to her prob because her nail has nearly fallen off! stick to your guns. you are providing her with a professional service. it's annoying when people won't listen!!
I know Kadie, trouble is sometimes some clients think they know better that you.Love your pic by the way.

Thanks for your pm Pat, yes you are so right you do get difficult clients but no matter if they are difficult or not they are still your bread and butter and you have to deal with each person differently. Even though this lady is difficult she is a lovely lady and you learn to deal with different personalities in different ways, it's a learning curb. Without these people you would be nothing. Remember that.xx

My hairdresser picked off her nails and she had terrible onycholysis. When she asked me to do them again I said nope no way if you put enhancements on your nails it will only make them worse. She wasn't too happy and now they are growing nicely. When I asked her why she had picked and pulled them off she said "I didn't have time for my infill and anyway its your fault you glued them on so well" :eek: :lol: glue:rolleyes: :rolleyes: (it was said in a lighthearted way:D :lol: ) Anyway, about a week later she said to me "what can I do about all the bits of hair trapped under my nail:?: " ......so I still managed to have a manicure appointment :D :lol:

Latest posts

Back