Here is a new one! Looking for any input and proof to back it up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mely-bely

Reaction score
Hello fellow nail geeks! I just got of the phone with a potential supply client and she has told me that she does not do l&p nails because she stated that as the l&p hardens, the chemicals over time will eat through the nail and leach into the bloodstream. I asked her where she had gotten her information because I would like to read this myself. She said it was what she had learned in school 8 years ago.

I asked her how she thought it was possible for the product to enter the bloodstream when it was on top of the keratin nail bed. She said she didn't know, but then how does hair color absorb into the hair shaft and get into the blood stream - through the follicle. I was about to point out that the nail bed doesn't have follicles when she told me she had a client jut come in and had to go. I can't really comment on hair either, because I know very little about its anatomy. She was truly a delightful lady and I enjoyed the debate. I did have an opportunity to tell her that I had been wearing l&p nails for 15 years, and my natural nails are in phenominal shape.

Any feedback from all of you would be greatly appreciated because I would really like to have some hard proof to re-educate her with.

Thank you!

That just doesn't happen. Hair colour doesn't enter the body via the follicle, nor do nail products eat through nail plates and leech into the bloodstream. This is either someone who knows very little about nail technology and/or someone trying to sell you something they feel is 'different'. The reality is that nail enhancement product quickly polymerise into a 'plastic'. Plastic doesn't 'leech' into the bloodstream nor do any nail products 'eat' through the nail plate.

The only thing that damages the natural nail plate is improper application (i.e. roughing up the nail) and improper removal (i.e. picking them off). Regardless, these things only damage the affected area, therefore the damage grows out as the nail grows out.

Anyhoo, I suggest you refer her to Nail Structure and Product Chemistry by Doug Schoon (and some up to date courses).

HTHs!

let me guess....she was trying to sell you gel...:lol:...if so she would be horrified to know that gel is also acrylic.

Or maybe it was natural nail products....that also just sits on top of the nail.

LOL :lol:

" fab Comments from both Sam and Angie.

I just dont know what anyone could add Fab, Wonderfull, Excellent:lol:

I am actually the one trying to sell her, as my family owns a wholesale beauty supply house here in NB. I was just warming up to the debate when she had a client come in.

I knew there was a really good book out there, but I couldn't remember the name or author, so thank you Samuel. I am going to buy the book and start quoting the information to the professionals here. They are so horribly misinformed and I am trying really hard to re-educate them - I feel like I am swimming upstream.

Ahhh i see...sorry i misunderstood :hug:

the rubbish she is talking about is probably the same line she uses on clients who ask her for "acrylic"........sometimes you can lead a horse to water but cant make it drink...(or something like that)...:lol:

I hear you Angie - I ordered Doug Schoon's book today and plan on using it to debunk all the crap information out there about l&p. So much misinformation.....so little time!

I hear you Angie - I ordered Doug Schoon's book today and plan on using it to debunk all the crap information out there about l&p. So much misinformation.....so little time!

Good for you!! It's great to hear that you are going to buy Dougs book and help others get the REAl facts:)

Some people believe the moon is made of cheese :eek:

Adele, watch your giraffe doesn't walk off the edge of the world! LOL

Crazy!!

tell her to look up MMA which is no longer used and i think banned in a lot of places. Can be bought very cheap usually from china, the molecules are far smaller and its possible for product to seep through nails.

Anyhow nowadays its far better n basically same as gel
go to tammy tailor nails theres loads of info there..

but she really should already know all this

good luck xx

The thing that surprises me the most is that it is the Educators in the schools here that are teaching their students this stuff. It states clearly in the Milady books that are used here to teach that artificial enhancements do not harm the nail bed, and yet the teachers are telling their students that nails can't breathe, that primer eats the nail, etc. It makes me want to scream! We are fighting back though. We are running a beginners l&p class here in March for those that want to learn (there are many) and we will spend as much time as necessary debunking all the myths surrounding l&p.

Latest posts

Back