Heroin Addict

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You ask any family of a chronic alcoholic. They will tell you its hell. Incidentally I was only a child during this. Most families would tell you they would happily chop of their hands to get them to stop drinking. I hope you never have to experience such helplessness over someone elses addiction. It will be a shock, this is why I give them a wide birth I don't want to know.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Did you not read my other post's? Luckily through the love and support of their family my family member who was a high functioning alcohol dependant has been sober for 8 years. AA helped a lot and AL Annon helped me no end.
May I recommend them to you? They may help heal the scars you are obviously still carrying with you.
I hope you can find peace.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the OP was simply saying that her BF didn't like the idea of her treating a heroin addict and was also concerned about her contracting HIV which are perfectly valid concerns.

Let's not be too PC.

No im glad that is just the past. I just avoid alkies, blessed life I have now. Thanks sure it might help someone, im not being ungrateful, just its not for me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the OP was simply saying that her BF didn't like the idea of her treating a heroin addict and was also concerned about her contracting HIV which are perfectly valid concerns.

Let's not be too PC.

Nope not a valid concern. Only 2% of people in the UK living with HIV are IV drug users. 49% contracted it through heterosexual sexual activity. 43% is through homosexual sexual activity.

Explain to your hubby that if HIV is a concern then you will have to give up treating non iv drug users as these pose the most risk..unless they are virgins but even then they coukd be in the 2% of hiv sufferers who contract hiv through their mothers.

I have a client who is a schizophrenic, isn't a drug user, alcoholic or a thief but she has still acted in a threatening way towards me. I used to also work in a chemist with my mum who was the pharmacist there, there was a young girl who used to come in for her methadone. Her story...was at a house party and ended up being spiked with heroin (I think somebody injected her, not 100% though) she ended up hooked from that one hit. That wasn't her choice, she wasn't a thief or an aggressive person at all. I also have a client who is HIV positive, she was raped. That wasn't her choice, but she has to live with the illness now. Does that mean she should be discriminated against aswel? I still do her hair, nails and waxing, she was open and honest from the initial consultation, I just take extra precautions. How many clients do you all treat? Is it possible that any of those may have chosen not to disclose everything? Unless someone tells you, how are you meant to know? Everyone should be practising health and safety at all times anyway

Nope not a valid concern. Only 2% of people in the UK living with HIV are IV drug users. 49% contracted it through heterosexual sexual activity. 43% is through homosexual sexual activity.

Explain to your hubby that if HIV is a concern then you will have to give up treating non iv drug users as these pose the most risk..unless they are virgins but even then they coukd be in the 2% of hiv sufferers who contract hiv through their mothers.

With respect, I used to be an HIV/AID's officer for local government, so I know how it's passed on. Like a lot if things, the HIV virus can be killed with simple household bleach, but that doesn't mean you you put yourself at risk if you're doing a treatment where there may be blood or the skin can be torn.

My point is that any client with a condition that can be transmitted or for example contagious, (Shingles, tummy bugs), needs to be treated differently to protect ourselves and them.

Best to ask your insurer if HIV/AID's is a contra-indication to that treatment if you ever get a client who has it. He didn't say he has so happy days!

With respect, I used to be an HIV/AID's officer for local government, so I know how it's passed on. Like a lot if things, the HIV virus can be killed with simple household bleach, but that doesn't mean you you put yourself at risk if you're doing a treatment where there may be blood or the skin can be torn.

My point is that any client with a condition that can be transmitted or for example contagious, (Shingles, tummy bugs), needs to be treated differently to protect ourselves and them.

Best to ask your insurer if HIV/AID's is a contra-indication to that treatment if you ever get a client who has it. He didn't say he has so happy days!

With all due respect he doesnt have HIV or aids so he wouldnt need to be treated any differently and to make the assumption that he did based on his lifestyle is no different to the view in the 80s that ALL homosexuals have aids.

Most new HIV diagnoses are in heterosexual people under the age of 30. Not Drug users

This is the point I was making.

With all due respect he doesnt have HIV or aids so he wouldnt need to be treated any differently and to make the assumption that he did based on his lifestyle is no different to the view in the 80s that ALL homosexuals have aids.

Most new HIV diagnoses are in heterosexual people under the age of 30. Not Drug users

This is the point I was making.

I totally agree! You're taking me the wrong way. Read my last post.

Lovely to see yet another thread where people are jumping down people's throats and disparaging about other individuals experiences in life......

As i said earlier..... JUDGEMENTAL

Really "true alcoholic"? Well my father was a chief superintendent and at 45, he lost his job but got a gold plated pension and a wife with a good job but was still peeved. Anyway from then on he decided to get pissed from morning til night and be completely embrassing for his children and turning up places pissed where people like the kind beautician would take pity on a once handsome and respected man. Anyway having put a family through prison, rehab, sectioned, permanent brain damage, liver damage, numerous times in intensive care he died seven years on, incontinent, yellow skinny with a swallon stomach. This was of huge relief to his family , (yes I did love him but my childhood was ruined). You are not helping self pitying addicts and there is no such thing as altruism. He looked like a old jakey towards the end not someone who went to a private school and has a sucessful family obviously he was the one being robbed by the dodgy company he was keeping too. Do you think amy winehouse was robbing old grannies? Clearly lots of addicts are solvent but mad..You should not feel obliged to do them. That is a separate matter to HIV which having met a few you would be none the wiser, we just have to take precautions with everyone like many other jobs do nurses, dr cleaners etc.. I would not entertain an addict, most of them love wallowing in self pity and giving them your time won't help them. Its not eastenders or neighbours. .

Not sure why you've jumped in my input.... I only far my personal unbiased, non judgemental experience.....

I totally agree! You're taking me the wrong way. Read my last post.

I missed your last sentence which completely changed the whole post. Sorry for jumping down your throat x

I think that no end of people can put you at risk of health conditions, and you'll never know! I used to have an alcoholic come to be, absolutely blasted. I made the decision to treat her. I think it gave her husband a break and helped her to sober up. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I think this guy has been up front, and was together enough to fill forms and talk about his addiction. If you found his manner pleasant and calm, I don't see a problem. A friend of mine held down a full time, high level job, while being addicted to heroin, and no-one knew. It takes all sorts, and only you can decide whether or not to continue treatments. A lot of addicts live relatively normal fulfilling lives, and the implication that he's going to steal from you is a massive generalisation of how we perceive addicts!

Well said. I agree.

I missed your last sentence which completely changed the whole post. Sorry for jumping down your throat x

No worries. x

Personally I would continue to treat him as long as he was acting normally and didn't seem incredibly out of it when he turned up for his appointment.

If at any time you felt he was inappropriate or threatening in any way then no more treatments (just like anyone else)

I have not had any trouble from any clients who I know are alcohol or drug addicts, perhaps I would feel differently if I had.

Obviously work as cleanly and safely as possible, like with anyone else.

Are you concerned about treating him or are you just worried about your bf making a fuss? Xx
Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek mobile app

Im wondering about confidentiality here, why did you tell your boyfriend details about a client?

She may have given him as much information as she's given us! No names mentioned!

When I'm doing consultation, one of the "can't do treatment" list is under the influence of alcohol or drugs so I just wouldn't do the treatment if it was obvious this was the case X

When I'm doing consultation, one of the "can't do treatment" list is under the influence of alcohol or drugs so I just wouldn't do the treatment if it was obvious this was the case X

Stumbled on here whilst looking for something else, thought I'd quickly add: This comment is spot on, if the client gave the information before the treatment and something went wrong, you wouldnt be covered, although, to be honest, it's unlikely that MDA would badly effect someone using heroin (and no other contraindications).

I would add that most heroin addicts do actually have good skin and for some reason, often look younger than their years.

People under the influence of heroin are generally very manageable and pleasant, I'd be more concerned about being alone with an alcoholic who was "out of it" and I had to explain that I wasnt going ahead with the treatment, not based on discriminating purely back covering.

I have been genuinely aghast at some of the comments on here. I do not judge those who find themselves with an addiction habit but I do expect clients to be sober, clean and not under the influence of substance abuse whilst carrying out treatments. I cannot imagine insurance to be valid either. We cannot judge if they can handle it or not - addiction is not predictable. I took pity on a neighbour years ago and she tried to attack me. The police were called and she was bound over. Never again and I thought her a harmless old soak. Do not underestimate the power of addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back