Hmmm MMA or not???!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambam

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I did a rebalance on my friend the other day but the original set wasnt mine.
She had them done in a nice (or so i thought) salon near me. They looked nice at 1st, maybe a little too long but i couldnt help thinkin the colour was going yellow after a bit. And they wernt lifting at all- stuck solid infact. (ok ok im jealous about that! but it did make me think all the same).
Anyway, started filing and i could smell that suspicious fishy smell!

BUT they were easy to file!

I am now confused peeps! Most of the signs point to the suspected use of MMA (esp the smell) but how come they were easy to file? And was I ok to use my products on top? I dint have enough time to soak em off . (If they were mma).

Thanx dudes!xxx

When I have had clients from NSS with MMA, when filing the nails, they usually small fishy and are extremely hard to file.

I don't always do a soak-off. I actually prefer to infill until the old product has grown out. That way, there is less trauma to the natural nail and also you never know what you are going to find after soaking-off MMA.

i once infilled a NSS set but my product wouldnt adhere to the old product !!

Omg! This is what i couldnt understand- they stunk BAD but were easy to file like the sets i do!

Thats what i thought- i didnt want to soak off for that reason. Thanks guys!

I've rebalanced other techs work and have had the funny fishy, well maybe not so much fishy, but not very pleasant at all, smell when filing, and I know that the nails weren't NSS.

My thoughts were, because the product was on the verge of break down, that the smell was just that, old crusty product being filed....don't know if there's any truth in it though.

sambam said:
Omg! This is what i couldnt understand- they stunk BAD but were easy to file like the sets i do!

Thats what i thought- i didnt want to soak off for that reason. Thanks guys!

I do know that there are branded products out there that just don't have the most pleasant odour... somewhat 'fishy' They are still EMA based they just not so pleasant on nostrils. LOL

Not always a give away for MMA, mma's smell is MUCH stronger... and like mentioned before, it is concrete to file!!

Envy said:
I do know that there are branded products out there that just don't have the most pleasant odour... somewhat 'fishy' They are still EMA based they just not so pleasant on nostrils. LOL

Not always a give away for MMA, mma's smell is MUCH stronger... and like mentioned before, it is concrete to file!!

This is true, I have had clients from other salons who have had fishy smelling enhancements but the products used were a well known brand. I have only ever had one set that I believe were MMA & the smell was a LOT worse and they were virtually impossible to file.

Thanks everyone. I thought it was strange cos the salon is nice. I feel horrible now for jumping to conclusions! Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back