Hoax Phonecalls from a Competitor??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah22

Reaction score
Hey geeks.

I had a very strange phonecall today from somebody enquiring about nails, prices, our fb page, etc. It was to my personal mobile and when I asked this person who was calling and how they got my number, I got answered both times with 'emmmmmmm...'.

I've got a very strong feeling that a competitor is behind it.

Do you sometimes get phonecalls like this? If so, how do you deal with it without being rude and maintaining your professionalism? Xx

There isn't much you can do really except answer them as if they were a real client.

They can probably find out this information anyway, its not a secret lol.

When you ask how they have got your personal mobile number and they stumble over their reply you could ask them not to call it in future but to call the salon.

The worst thing is when competitors make fake appointments ... really, what type of person behaves like this???? I don't understand the mentality.

Jacqui xx

I don't understand either Jacqui, it's so childish.

Thanks for your reply :) xx

I just answer there questions, i get this all the time, even get them comin to try me out and c what i use and nxt thing i know there doin the same!!! Aaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!

haha, This happenend to me recently but they forgot to with-hold their number and it showed up as this so called salon..

I was extra helpful and gave them all the info they asked for ...and more ..lol

As i am confident in my treatments, i had no problem with this..

Ive been getting this all the time as well but they make appointment i had 5 no show in the one day it drives me nuts ive even got clients that come to me for there hair but go to an other salon for beauty and they have been quizzed about me and the salon at 1st it was getting me really up set but as my husband and friends have been telling me well you must be doing something right if they have got to go that low and im a great believer in WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND :)

Like already said give them the prices / answers you know your business dont feel you need to hide anything , if it is a competitor and they copy well it doesn't mean what they copy will compare with yours right?

if you get fake appointments (I was recently :grr:) then tell them you need a mobile number to confirmm there booking , after you get off the phone turn on the delivery reports on your phone and hit them a text with appt time and your location , if they are genuinen new client they wont know that is not your normal way of doing things ,
its also very usefullyl for post code for sat nav and its in there phone most people never leave the house with out there phone,

if its a fake number well you wont get a delivery report and you know the appointment is probably as fake as the number!

I have also had this. she called questioned me about my products then booked in. she forgot to hid her number, so when I called to confirm her app it went to the AP "welcome to ***** Beauty"

I had a strange phonecall the other day. A woman asking about treatments, saying she wanted to treat herself to something. She said she'd seen my website and that she hadn't had any treatments before. She then started asking about what oils and creams I use for massage, what colour lash/brow tints I have and why would I be offering waxing and sugaring. The continuous questions just didn't seem right. Why ask what tint colours I have? And if somebody had never had any treatments would they know that oils and creams can be used for massage?

Perhaps she was genuine but why would someone also ask how much to cost to train in a certain treatment? Oh and what marketing/advertising do I do.

I was just polite and when she asked could she be added to my email list of special offers and competitions I said of course, but don't think i will.

Ive been getting this all the time as well but they make appointment i had 5 no show in the one day it drives me nuts ive even got clients that come to me for there hair but go to an other salon for beauty and they have been quizzed about me and the salon at 1st it was getting me really up set but as my husband and friends have been telling me well you must be doing something right if they have got to go that low and im a great believer in WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND :)
We've had the bookings and no shows for long treatments like lash extensions even though we send reminder texts as a matter of course.

I'd suggest you take deposits for all new clients booking over a certain length of time, if they are genuine they won't mind and if not they'll just not book. We now take deposits straight on our card machine whilst they are still on the phone and so far no more 'mysterious bookings'.

Also disply clearly on all your literature that you implement a cancellation policy.

Yeah I've had this too. :( One time, they were dopey enough not to conceal their number and I did 1471 and sure enuff it was them. I've even had a salon owner come in to get a shellac treatment and not letting on who she was, asking all the questions she could. It was only later I found out she was a competitor in the next town. But who cares??? She gave me her money, so whatever!
I've had fake appointments too. It sucks, but as said before, there isn't much u can do. It's pretty sad that they are worrying about what u are doing when they should be focusing on their own business. Take no notice. Just remain professional and it will annoy them even more!

its common practice to ring up competitors to get there prices, but it is really obvious!

Its also common practice to "secret shop".

Also, I like to have treatments done......I go to therapists to have treatments done. If they ask me what I do, I tell them, if they don't ask, i don't tell them.

What seems to be lacking here though is common courtesy and that is unforgiveable.

I know that this is going to happen, but I'm baffled as to how they got my mobile number :-/

Lol Natasha, maybe we're being targeted by the same person!!

I've also had a salon owner in. In the occupation part of her consultation form, she wrote 'nail technician' when I know she's actually a beauty therapist lol. But hey. I don't mind these people coming to me if they're genuine, but some you just know for a fact that they're being nosey about your business and sussing you out :-/

I'm looking for a nice place to go for a facial and a massage. Not to be nosey, but because I haven't had any nice treatments in over a year as I work by myself. I'll be honest about my job when I go though.

I just hate sneakiness. If they were smart enough they could find out all of the info on our fb page!!

Rant over :) lol xx

Hi, we get targeted regularly with fake appointments by local salons, sometimes I find it demoralising, sometimes a compliment and other times, downright aggravating. We always get to find out who is doing what as their staff either tell their mum or their friend, or they leave and ring me to tell what is going on :eek:

We are progressively getting cleverer (SP? lol), originally, each booking had to have a telephone number, now we are moving on to reminding a couple of days before and if the number is unobtainable, the booking comes out the diary. Each unobtainable number that we have then cancelled the booking for has not turned up - funny that, eh? Moving forward, we are just about to take 50% deposits for pamper packages and after we got caught out big style on Saturday with a no-show that had booked over £250 worth of treatments, I'm now considering taking credit card details to confirm bookings. It's difficult territory though, you don't want to alienate people but shouldn't have to lose money from the clients who think it is fine to no show.

I have a horrible feeling that it might have been me that didn't take the number for the booking on Saturday - thank God I'm the owner :o

Onwards and upwards, I think it's always going to happen, it's just how you deal with it - with professionalism, a thick skin and processes in place.

Take care, MrsMac

I had one the other day they called up and asked the price of a spray tan, but the voice sounded really familiar, anyway a few days later I had a pedicure done and the woman who ran the salon sounded exactly like the woman who had called me, hence where I thought the voice was familiar from when I had booked my appointment!

As people have said you are always going to get competitors calling to find out prices there is not much you can do.

I actually had a client the other day never seen her before as soon as I got in and started setting up she started going on about how she is going to start doing spray tanning and asking me loads of questions! It was quite hard not to feel a bit put out, I carried on with the tan and then as I was leaving she turned round and had the cheek to say hope you dont mind me doing the spray tanning nothing like a bit of competition :eek:

I had one the other day they called up and asked the price of a spray tan, but the voice sounded really familiar, anyway a few days later I had a pedicure done and the woman who ran the salon sounded exactly like the woman who had called me, hence where I thought the voice was familiar from when I had booked my appointment!

As people have said you are always going to get competitors calling to find out prices there is not much you can do.

I actually had a client the other day never seen her before as soon as I got in and started setting up she started going on about how she is going to start doing spray tanning and asking me loads of questions! It was quite hard not to feel a bit put out, I carried on with the tan and then as I was leaving she turned round and had the cheek to say hope you dont mind me doing the spray tanning nothing like a bit of competition :eek:
Wjat a cheek this woman had!

Take it as a compliment! it means they are keen to know how you do things. I get it alot to but as everyone has said i just asnwer as if it was a customer!!
xx

I had something similar happen earlier today lol.

A girl that does beauty from home in the village I work in, was in getting her hair done. I was setting up for my next client, and heard this girl ask her hairdresser lots of questions about the nails I do. I then sat at reception to wait for my client, when the girl approached me and asked what qualifications you needed to do Gelicure, to which I told her just your manicure and pedicure certificate. I then said that she should do the Gelicure course to learn how to do PEP, etc. She laughed and said; 'no, I'll just make an appointment with you and see how it's done' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously?! Lol xx

I then said that she should do the Gelicure course to learn how to do PEP, etc. She laughed and said; 'no, I'll just make an appointment with you and see how it's done' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously?! Lol xx

:eek: Honestly what is wrong with these people even if you thought that you dont just come out with it :rolleyes:

:eek: Honestly what is wrong with these people even if you thought that you dont just come out with it :rolleyes:

I know!! Lol.

If she has the nerve to actually do it, I'll just either be too busy to give her an appointment or else just not do that bit properly... God forgive me!!

I just don't see why people like this think that it's ok to behave this way and take the easy option for fast results, whenever we all have and continue to put in lots of hard work to get where we are!! Grrrrr xx

Latest posts

Back