Holiday reads - suggestions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy-chick

Reaction score
anyone read any good books lately? any tips at the airport, blockbusters that Must BE READ!

I like:

chick lit (Marian keyes|Sophie Kinsella|bint that wrote Bridg Jones diary)

I also love:

Dan whatsit that wrote all the Da Vinci code books

ummm, thats it really.

would like a really cool book to be seen tucked under my arm at the departure lounge iykwim!

Also can be pinned down to read some classics like

Pride & Pred by Jane Austen
Kill a mocking bird
Perfume by Suskind
Jonathan Coe Rotters Club
John le carre
James Patterson
that feminist woman......ummmmm, Fay Weldon
Kellerman
and that woman who does all the autopsies in america, ooooh (jumping up and down can't think)....

so, mixed bag really.

don't like donna tart, war, espionage.
like a laugh or bit of conspiracy with a twist, don't mind a bit of romance.
don't like booker prize winners, tried them, don't like.

If you can make head or tail out of that!!!!! :eek:

I agree with Sandi, Harlan Coben books are good.

Also, any books by Val Mcdermid, (wrote all the wire in the blood books)

Ermm, cant think of any other authors at mo:eek:

ooooh, thats brill thanks!

I love reading James Patterson and I just finished a recent one called Sail.

I have just started reading the Patricia Cornwell Kay Scarpetta series which I think is what you mean about the USA autopsies - there is a new one out called Scarpetta.

i would say read any jodi picoult book they are all fab :)

Jodie Picoult for me all the way- easy to read but still thought provoking and makes you question EVERYTHING, from morals to faith.
Change of Heart is my favourite and at the moment i am reading Vanishing Acts.

On top of that i am also reading "The tent The Bucket and Me" by Emma Kennedy. Its all about different camping stories from the 70's and its hilarious. So i pick that one up if i dont fancy anything too intense.

xx

Memoirs of a Geisha and the Lovely Bones are both a must for me but I needed tissues for both...enjoy :)

Memoirs of a Geisha and the Lovely Bones are both a must for me but I needed tissues for both...enjoy :)

I would also recommend the lovely bones

The Wire in the Blood series is amazing :D

Another author to consider if you like true stories that aren't based on the life of 1 person is Torey Hayden.

She is from North Wales and used to teach in America working with children with family issues often causing mental trauma to them. She is an amazing author and an even better teacher and her book never fail to keep you reading :D

They are bringing out a film of the Lovely bones in december.susan Sarandon,Mark wahlberg and Rachel weitz are in it.
Hope it can measure up to the book.

They are bringing out a film of the Lovely bones in december.susan Sarandon,Mark wahlberg and Rachel weitz are in it.
Hope it can measure up to the book.

oh really ! that will be interesting to see how they do it. Im always a bit put off of the films when ive read the book, i havent seen My sisters Keeper yet because i dont think they always do the book justice. But we shall see !
x

I would recommend Brick Lane by Monica Ali or White Teeth by Zadie Smith.

Also anything by Ian McEwan.

who is the author of lovely bones please?

Brilliant, thanks Sandi! I now seem to have a suitcase just for my books when on go on my hols in 3 weeks, lol!

I would not recommend this book, this book traumatised me!

Yes it was Patrica Cornwell.

Am writing these down for my holls.

The other book by the guy who wrote the one about the autistic boy, something like "the curious case of the murder of the dog in the nighttime". Not that book (although I do think it is great, and working with autistic children is very accurate) but another he wrote. It is really funny and a great read. Sorry I'm being vague, but someone will know the name of the author and the book I'm sure. xx

I like a good chick lit book when I go away, so I would recommend a Jane Green book, Jemima J, Mr Maybe.

I also love James Herbert but a bit scary for holiday reading!

I've just finished reading Paul O'Grady and Alan Carr's respective autobiographies, which are both very light hearted,funny and highly recommended.

Latest posts

Back