Home Salon or not

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne Roberts

Reaction score
Sorry, this is a long one!!!!!

I have been working as a nail tech in a salon for the past 18 months. Absolutely love what I do and have a fabulous clientelle. I rent a chair. Things have been getting more and more difficult since the beginning of the year as the owner who I work with has for various reasons taken her eye off the ball.

The salon reputation has begun to slide although most people in the town realise that it is her not me. I have only ever really done 3 days a week unless covering for holidays or sickness. This has always suited me but lately I have been feeling that I need something more.

Because a salon closed in my town recently (about seven miles away) I set up my dining room as a home salon which has been popular but not full. Its bought in more income which is great but the lady who owns the salon I work in was not at all happy - although she never actually said anything.

I have now reached a point where I dread going into the salon. I have some fabulous customers who all want me to take it over. The owner only works one day a week now coz she has got another job as well. I handed in a months notice last week and was planning on going back to college to do an NVQ in Beauty so I could increase the choice for my customers. Now I am not sure if I have done the right thing.

Is it possible to turn her business around with lots of hard work and a relaunch or would I be better of walking away, working from home part time while I go to college and then opening another salon when I have finished. Reputation is everything in this business and I wonder whether her salon has gone too far.

Advice from other Home Salon owners would be fabulous as, he who likes to think he is in charge is more confused than me!!!!!!!!!!!

Anne

if you already have a good client base, that actually WANT you to work from home, then DO IT!! it will lower your overheads. the only thing you will miss is the passing trade. But if you work part time, then you probs have enough clients and will pick up more through recomendation.

only you know your circumstance though hun. x

Not knowing whether you work FOR the salon owner or if you rent space and work for yourself with in the salon makes a difference.

If you pull a salary from the salon owner then the clients are hers and not yours ... you wouldn't have had them but for working for her and the clients ethically belong to the salon. You should not be telling clients that you are leaving the salon if you work for the salon owner.

If you work from home and clients find you there because they love you then that is fine n dandy. But to spend the last month you are there talking to clients about your move is wrong.

If the owner is only at the salon one day a week she should give you a partnership in the business there if was smart, but she obviously is not ... if she was she would be in the salon every day building her business and keeping an eye on you.

Sounds like you may pick up her business by default anyway as the owner is being pretty stupid. So do things right and leave with the 'door open' and you can still maybe live in the same town amicably.

Read my thread ... starting up in the nail business here on the main forum. It may help you.

Thanks, I actually rent a chair, and I'm only telling clients I am leaving to go to college, not recommending that they follow me. I'll check out the thread you mentioned Gigi.

If you rent a chair Anne, the clients are yours and you have every right to tell your clients where you will be based.

Thats how I got started - by renting a room in a tanning salon for a while and then I decided to set up from home because of lower costs (rent/childcare etc)..it was the best descision I ever made, most of my clients continued to come to me at home and I have been going for 3 years from home now.....so I'd say go for it!:hug:

Latest posts

Back