Home Salons - Do your clients remove their shoes ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a mat outside my frontdoor, laminate flooring in my hall with a long mat on, carpeted stairs and laminate in my beauty room. I am surprised at how many clients ask would I like them to take their shoes off but i do say oh just give your shoes a good rub on the mat.
Some insist on taking them off. Being diabetic I mustn't go around anywhere without something on my feet, so i shouldn't rreally expect my clients to. I think the shoe covers are a good idea really though, although then I would be worried someone might slip on the laminate floor. Our stair and landing carpet has only been down 6 months but we made sure we got one that can easily be cleaned.

Having said all this I always take my shoes off when in other peoples' houses.

Would it be possible to ask them to pop the plastic covers over them, like you get in swimming pools im not sure what they are called.

Thanks

Angela

Mmm plastic covers over shoes on stair carpet!!!! Very slippy !!!!!Hope youve got good insurance!!
I wouldnt expect clients to remove shoes , wear slippers or plastic covers, you have just got to think of wear and tear on flooring as a business cost.

Mmm plastic covers over shoes on stair carpet!!!! Very slippy !!!!!Hope youve got good insurance!!
I wouldnt expect clients to remove shoes , wear slippers or plastic covers, you have just got to think of wear and tear on flooring as a business cost.
No they are not slippy .The shoe covers are worn in the swimming pool so it,s anti slip.

could get a bunch of crocks there cheep and only come in a few sizes and i think they would be easyish to sanitize with some sprays of mondo foot spray, but like i said before if you are working from home you kinda have to suck it up.....
id be annoyed if i got asked to remove my shoes every time i went to get my hair done at the salon if you see what I mean?
it may put some clients off comming to you, unless u start hevy advertising pedicures......

I think it's poor manners and blatantly inconsiderate of others to refuse to take off their shoes or boots when asked to.
ESPECIALLY in wet/winter months.
If someone doesn't like the slippers provided, they can always bring their own. No harm there.
People are afraid of slippers but not nail files????????

In addition to that, if someone tracks in with wet footware, it can make it dangerous to others that cross the floor if there's water left on it.

My dentist provides slippers. No footware allowed. My former hairdresser, the same. (most particularly in wet/cold months).

I can understand a little leniency in summer months. It's hot and most people are wearing sandals and many dislike walking about barefoot.
Otherwise, in wet/cold months... let's show some respect for others and remove dirty/wet footware.
Home salon or not.

I would 'think' that most especially in a 'home salon', people should show more consideration. We're not talking 'industrial flooring'. It's quite different in a home.

My clients remove their footwear. In warmer months, if all is dry, sometimes I'll tell them not to bother. My flooring is good, old fashioned hard wood. Came with the house. The whole house is like that except the kitchen and basement. I certainly don't want it damaged by scratches from rocks stuck in soles of shoes, or wet puddles left, or salt tracked in from winter boots ruining the finish.
If a client would choose not to come because of that? Fine, enjoy the chop-shop down the street with the stink, the damage, the noise and getting treated like a number.
Your problem, not mine.

I think it's poor manners and blatantly inconsiderate of others to refuse to take off their shoes or boots when asked to.
ESPECIALLY in wet/winter months.
If someone doesn't like the slippers provided, they can always bring their own. No harm there.
People are afraid of slippers but not nail files????????

In addition to that, if someone tracks in with wet footware, it can make it dangerous to others that cross the floor if there's water left on it.

My dentist provides slippers. No footware allowed. My former hairdresser, the same. (most particularly in wet/cold months).

I can understand a little leniency in summer months. It's hot and most people are wearing sandals and many dislike walking about barefoot.
Otherwise, in wet/cold months... let's show some respect for others and remove dirty/wet footware.
Home salon or not.

I would 'think' that most especially in a 'home salon', people should show more consideration. We're not talking 'industrial flooring'. It's quite different in a home.

My clients remove their footwear. In warmer months, if all is dry, sometimes I'll tell them not to bother. My flooring is good, old fashioned hard wood. Came with the house. The whole house is like that except the kitchen and basement. I certainly don't want it damaged by scratches from rocks stuck in soles of shoes, or wet puddles left, or salt tracked in from winter boots ruining the finish.
If a client would choose not to come because of that? Fine, enjoy the chop-shop down the street with the stink, the damage, the noise and getting treated like a number.
Your problem, not mine.

I agree with everything you have wrote above.

I to am not so fussed in summer when its dry but in winter when its wet and muddy I don't want a trail of dirt and leaves down my hallway.

I have thought about a rug for the hallway but the downside to that is that if there is mud etc on it its not easy to clean whereas the plastic carpet protector can be mopped or wiped down.

I always take my shoes off when I go to someone elses house unless they say not to bother. I remember when I was younger whenever I went to see family my mum would always take our slippers with ur in a bag !

What I find baffling is WHY people don't like to remove their shoes in other peoples houses on a carpeted floor ? Im not talking about nipping out to the local shop barefoot. What is it that bothers people? cold feet ? Dirty socks ? Smelly feet ? Security ????

I also don't think you should be asking clients to take their shoes off when they come for a treatment, it is just part of it when you run a business from home.

I absolutely agree! When I go to the salon to get my nails or hair done, I'm not asked to remove my shoes.

What I find baffling is WHY people don't like to remove their shoes in other peoples houses on a carpeted floor ? Im not talking about nipping out to the local shop barefoot. What is it that bothers people? cold feet ? Dirty socks ? Smelly feet ? Security ????

None of the examples above apply to my thoughts so although I am finding it difficult to explain what I mean here goes.

When visiting someone on a social level it is a personal visit and we behave as we would in a social setting and this may include feeling more comfortable by removing our shoes to "fit in" with other guests.

When visiting a business whether it be in a private home or commercial premises it is for a "business visit", therefore being asked to remove my shoes because it is a private home is imho an unreasonable request.

It is of no consequence to the client that you have chosen to set up a business within your home, they do not need to view it as your home because they see it in a purely business sense, and that frankly is their perogative as they are paying for a service they are not paying you a social visit.

To put it in context my salon is located in a Private Dental Surgery which is in a row of old fashioned terraced houses. Clients enter via a hallway with a very expensive real wood floor, then enter a reception area with a beautiful carpet and fancy chairs, they then come upstairs to me again on a very expensive carpeted stairway, and in my whole time not one client has suggested taking their shoes off or not wearing stillettos that might damage the wood flooring, or not sitting on the expensive chairs when their clothing is wet.

It would appear that both clients as well as myself view it as someone has said earlier as "part and parcel of running a business and therefore a business expense "

another example I would use is when clients come in for a massage or facial they may leave fake tan or makeup on my bedding which again could be expensive(but that's my choice to use expensive bedding) would I ask them to remove their fake tan or makeup before performing the treatment?

I know the above example is somewhat different from what you are asking but at the end of the day I make the choices of where to have my salon and how I choose to kit it out therefore my clients should not have to compromise because of my preferences.

When visiting someone on a social level it is a personal visit and we behave as we would in a social setting and this may include feeling more comfortable by removing our shoes to "fit in" with other guests.

When visiting a business whether it be in a private home or commercial premises it is for a "business visit", therefore being asked to remove my shoes because it is a private home is imho an unreasonable request.

It is of no consequence to the client that you have chosen to set up a business within your home, they do not need to view it as your home because they see it in a purely business sense, and that frankly is their perogative as they are paying for a service they are not paying you a social visit.

It would appear that both clients as well as myself view it as someone has said earlier as "part and parcel of running a business and therefore a business expense "

AMEN! :hug:

Your problem, not mine.

I would respectfully suggest that the treatment is all about the CLIENT not the therapist. Also you sound like you have some extraordinary scenes of mayhem in the salons near you......stink, damage, noise! Wow!

I would respectfully suggest that the treatment is all about the CLIENT not the therapist.

AGREE!

IMHO, it's INSULTING to ask a client to remove their shoes. Good grief!

None of the examples above apply to my thoughts so although I am finding it difficult to explain what I mean here goes.

But why is it unreasonable? I'm not understanding why it's unreasonable.

As for home businesses having to take into account floor damage and such, I would disagree.

Especially given that where I am, and because of how my home business is laid out. As per the gov't and laws, my 'business' is ONLY the actual floor space occupied by the business itself.
It does NOT include the rest of the room that is used for family purposes outside of business hours.
But for argument's sake, let's say it's an actual closed off room never used for anything else. How it works here, if it's part of your home, is the percentage in square footage of the ROOM in relation to the rest of your house, not the entry or hall leading to it. They are NOT included. Nor is my driveway that clients park in, nor my front steps nor door. ONLY THE ROOM.
So, if the floor in the room gets ruined, yes I can write that off as an expense.
BUT if a client's car leaks gas in my driveway. I'm stuck with the expense personally and can't write it off (gasoline damages asphalt and this HAS happened).
If a client damages the flooring from the front door on the way to the room/table, that is my problem and can't be written off as an expense. If she breaks my toilet, that can't be written off because it's part of the rest of the household.
So, saying we can write it off as a business expense is simply untrue.

Also, keeping in mind: some of us work at home because it's our only option, although we do have an end goal of a salon.

In many cases, home businesses offer perks that large salons don't.
So, a consumer would have to way the pros and cons, just like with everything else.
Removing ones shoes also has little to do with the quality of the service provided.

I guess this is why in some states if you run a home salon you have to meet requierments such as a seprate entrance for your clients that dosent go through your living areas,
it dose sound like a huge requierment and would be hard for alot of us in the uk but ....they prob dont end up with half the problems like this one.

I suppose its the same with us mobile therapists and removing our shoes in peoples homes. If a client has lamitate/ wooden floor I don't ask but if its carpet I do.

Only 1 person has ever taken me up on my offer. Prehaps its seen as the norm for business people not to take their shoes off.

Personally I always take my shoes off at home - we all do, but whenever we have workmen in they don't nor do they ever offer.

Its a tricky situation but i think its one you will have to live with :rolleyes:

I suppose its the same with us mobile therapists and removing our shoes in peoples homes. If a client has lamitate/ wooden floor I don't ask but if its carpet I do.

Only 1 person has ever taken me up on my offer. Prehaps its seen as the norm for business people not to take their shoes off.

Personally I always take my shoes off at home - we all do, but whenever we have workmen in they don't nor do they ever offer.

Its a tricky situation but i think its one you will have to live with :rolleyes:

A lot of workmen use shoe covers. I think these are the answer.

Have you ever been to a business that required you to remove your shoes before entering? I have not, whether that business is the doctor's office, grocery store, school, work, etc.

I do not have a home salon but if I did, I would treat my clients as my GUESTS and not require them to remove their footwear.

JMHO...

As for home businesses having to take into account floor damage and such, I would disagree.

Especially given that where I am, and because of how my home business is laid out. As per the gov't and laws, my 'business' is ONLY the actual floor space occupied by the business itself.
It does NOT include the rest of the room that is used for family purposes outside of business hours.
But for argument's sake, let's say it's an actual closed off room never used for anything else. How it works here, if it's part of your home, is the percentage in square footage of the ROOM in relation to the rest of your house, not the entry or hall leading to it. They are NOT included. Nor is my driveway that clients park in, nor my front steps nor door. ONLY THE ROOM.
So, if the floor in the room gets ruined, yes I can write that off as an expense.
BUT if a client's car leaks gas in my driveway. I'm stuck with the expense personally and can't write it off (gasoline damages asphalt and this HAS happened).
If a client damages the flooring from the front door on the way to the room/table, that is my problem and can't be written off as an expense. If she breaks my toilet, that can't be written off because it's part of the rest of the household.
So, saying we can write it off as a business expense is simply untrue.

Also, keeping in mind: some of us work at home because it's our only option, although we do have an end goal of a salon.

In many cases, home businesses offer perks that large salons don't.
So, a consumer would have to way the pros and cons, just like with everything else.
Removing ones shoes also has little to do with the quality of the service provided.

It is my personal opinion that it is an unreasonable request and that is why I would choose not to go to a salon that required this of me.

Regarding business expenses I "get " where you are coming from regarding deductions etc as well as insurance cover............. however a reasonable additional business expense I incur due to me choosing commercial rather than my residential property, is a substantial monthly rent. A home salon avoids this expense which is where I conclude that a carpet getting dirtier earlier because of business use is a reasonable business expense that must be borne if you choose to have a home salon.

Just like I choose to bear a reasonable business expense in the form of a salon rent.......... we all choose different things for our business and we choose what we deem reasonable.

From a personal point of view, as a client I deem it unreasonable to be asked to remove my shoes as the Home Salon owner has chosen to use their home as their place of business, therefore as a client is is not my responsibility to "save" the salon owners carpet and if operating a business from their home means that a business owner needs to replace their carpet or clean it more often then its something that they as a business owner need to "live" with if they choose a Home Salon over commercial property.

Have you ever been to a business that required you to remove your shoes before entering? I have not, whether that business is the doctor's office, grocery store, school, work, etc.
I do not have a home salon but if I did, I would treat my clients as my GUESTS and not require them to remove their footwear.
JMHO...

Actually, YES. At a dentist, and a hairdressing salon, and doc' offices (most especially in cold/wet months such as fall/winter/spring). It is the "usual" around here.
And YES I most definately expect my "guests" aka friends and family to remove their shoes and "respect" my home and the work I do to keep it clean.
it is the NORM around here to remove your shoes and when you don't, it's considered RUDE.
I suppose maybe it's a culture thing, dependant upon the country you live in?
So, here it is quite normal and no one has ever been offended by it.
If anything, on the rare occasions I say "go ahead, your shoes are dry" or "dont worry, I have to pass the broom anyway"; MOST will remove their footware anyway because they don't feel right keeping it on.

Regarding business expenses I "get " where you are coming from regarding deductions etc as well as insurance cover............. however a reasonable additional business expense I incur due to me choosing commercial rather than my residential property, is a substantial monthly rent. A home salon avoids this expense which is where I conclude that a carpet getting dirtier earlier because of business use is a reasonable business expense that must be borne if you choose to have a home salon.

While I may have less rent etc... I have other expenses that are 'increased' because I am located in a home. It all balances out and I don't think one way is more expensive than another when you do cost vs revenues. and remember, if I had my choice, I would be in a salon environment. I would probably make better revenues.

From a personal point of view, as a client I deem it unreasonable to be asked to remove my shoes as the Home Salon owner has chosen to use their home as their place of business, therefore as a client is is not my responsibility to "save" the salon owners carpet and if operating a business from their home means that a business owner needs to replace their carpet or clean it more often then its something that they as a business owner need to "live" with if they choose a Home Salon over commercial property.

Responsibilities aside... why is it unreasonable? Does it hurt to remove shoes and put on slippers? Not being argumentative. Still failing to understand the 'why' it would be unreasonable.
Kind of like - if you finish the toilet paper, please put another roll out. You're not responsible for it. But it is certainly considered considerate for the next person.

I'm talking about general consideration for others, be it business or home salon.

Anyhow, must be a culture thing because if you walked into my mother's house with your shoes on....... your ears would be blistered from a tongue-lashing. The same would happen just about any house you visited here. That is how we are brought up here. By the same token, my Nana was English and she insisted that the footware come off at the door. So maybe not? I don't know.
What I do know is that it's very common in businesses here. It's 'normal'. I've never been to a salon/business/doc's office locally that didn't offer slippers during cold/wet months. I personally would be embarassed to track dirt/water through someone's house/ business.

Another perspective: safety.
If someone comes in with wet footware and tracks puddles. Another comes along and WHOOPS down goes Gramma and breaks a hip.....
I don't want to be held responsible for Gramma ,and here I would be since it's my floor.

The first year I was in business, I rented space in a hair salon where the owner had a basket of slippers for the messy seasons. None of her clients seemed to mind using them, however *personally* I never liked to. Don't like sharing footwear, although I'm sure she launders them regularly. It's just me. I don't recall her ever demanding it be done though -- although I recall a few cracks after whoever didn't do it left lol.

Now I've moved my stuff to my home. My station is at one end of my stupidly long livingroom, which is just off the foyer of the house. Floors are hardwood.

If it's dry, I usually tell the client not to bother removing her shoes -- haven't had one go with that yet. Everyone has insisted on removing their shoes themselves.

However, if anyone didn't seem to want to, I don't know if I'd INSIST. Although when we have 4 feet of snow, generously laced with salt outside, that might change lol...I'm leaning more towards "client comfort" though. Although, AGAIN that too might change when I've been in business longer.

Latest posts

Back