Home Study courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
i checked out this website but i cant find an NVQ beauty therapy at home. It only seems to be a diploma. this is different isnt it?(homestudynet.com is the website i looked at)

x

Hi pink princess,

I rang homestudynet and asked what NVQ level it was and they told me Level 3.

Hi Beaute

(I'm answering your PM with this post too)

If there are no practical assessments (and lots of them) it is not popssible this is an NVQ of any level.

I am very wary of home study courses for practical based qualifications. Of course there is loads of theory learning that can be done at home but it is not possible to thoroughly learn a practical skill entirely alone.

I think many homelearn companies can be a bit misleading when they quote NVQ qualifications but don't have practical teaching and assessments. The level of study may be to the 'level' of an NVQ but without countless practical assessments of every treatment carried out in a commercial salon environment, it is NOT and NVQ. This type of 'qualification' will not be acceptable to any reputable salon.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but ANY homelearn of practical skills is just a foundation and nothing more.

mum said:
Hi Beaute

(I'm answering your PM with this post too)

If there are no practical assessments (and lots of them) it is not popssible this is an NVQ of any level.

I am very wary of home study courses for practical based qualifications. Of course there is loads of theory learning that can be done at home but it is not possible to thoroughly learn a practical skill entirely alone.

I think many homelearn companies can be a bit misleading when they quote NVQ qualifications but don't have practical teaching and assessments. The level of study may be to the 'level' of an NVQ but without countless practical assessments of every treatment carried out in a commercial salon environment, it is NOT and NVQ. This type of 'qualification' will not be acceptable to any reputable salon.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but ANY homelearn of practical skills is just a foundation and nothing more.
You are correct.
I have just phoned them to check and the lady said "on Succesfull completion of the course you will receive a level 3 diploma, which is recogonised by employers. It is also a foundation for further training."
I havent got any experience with salons, but I think NVQs will be more accepted, it sounds like this is the basis to go onto an NVQ.

Would you recommend home study net? They Look really good but is it hard to do the practical on family and friends?

Beauty therapy and 'nails' are practical skills. Theoretical home learning will never take the place of 'practical' demonstrations, practice and experience with several real people (with supporting practical feedback). Every person is different from the next and this cannot be learnt from books

Hi all,

I spoke to HomeStudyNet yesterday afternoon (sorry for the late posting) and they had said that you do a 60 hours training session at a beauty salon once qualified.

I also received an e-mail from them:

I understand you have some concerns regarding the course and how well recognised it will be on completion.

Clearly there are limitations with distance learning - the course covers a pretty similar content to an NVQ - but obviously doesn't contain the practical element.

Most students do find work on completion, but obviously if you have the time and funding to attend full time college then the NVQ itself is a better qualification.

Due to the above e-mail and some carefull consideration I have decided to not continue with this and just concentrate on my nails for now and do further courses related to nails.

Oringinally they did say that it was an NVQ level 3, but obviously after reading this e-mail I knew other wise.

penny's nails said:
That's great, I've been maddly searching for courses and didn't realise home learning was an option. Looking on the net i also found these links
http://stonebridge.servup.co.uk/det/541
http://www.learning-at-home.co.uk/pr...oducts_id=1857

both look great and are purely nail courses, I'll def be signing up for one of them in the near future!

Hope this helps someone out there!

Penny xx
I think you've missed the point. We've all come to the conclusion that home learning is not such a good idea. I think the only good course I've heard about for home learning nails is essentials.HTH

penny's nails said:
That's great, I've been maddly searching for courses and didn't realise home learning was an option. Looking on the net i also found these links
http://stonebridge.servup.co.uk/det/541
http://www.learning-at-home.co.uk/pr...oducts_id=1857

both look great and are purely nail courses, I'll def be signing up for one of them in the near future!

Hope this helps someone out there!

Penny xx

Penny,

I was doing a home study course until yesterday and I just want to the thank those of you who helped me make that decision. I have been unhappy with this course for a few weeks and felt as though I wasn't learning anything. Next week I will be returning my course pack back to the company and I will now do a pedicure course and get my mobile business up and running in the near future.

I hope this makes you think twice before enrolling on a home study course.

In my opinion the best way to learn is by doing a course with a reputable company and the best home learn company is Essential Nails. The only place to learn Beauty Therapy is at college.

P.S I am grateful for the fact that if I hadn't posted this on here, I could have done this course and mightened have got a job. So its best to know now rather than later.

Home Study have told me I will receive a full refund of the £195 I paid. I don't think you get any fairer than that.

Thanks

I just require to get some professional insurance so that I can once again trim nails for people like I used to when I was in CHIROPODY. Is there any way this can be done without resorting to expensive practical pedicure couses? Any insurers that would take me on?

I just require to get some professional insurance so that I can once again trim nails for people like I used to when I was in CHIROPODY. Is there any way this can be done without resorting to expensive practical pedicure couses? Any insurers that would take me on?

Hi there...I see you are new to the site and are maybe a bit lost.:hug:

Best to start your own thread regarding your topic...as this thread dates from April 2006!! and is on a different subject.

If you go to the Chit Chat Forum and click on new thread you can ask whatever you want.

Insurance comes up a lot though...so you could always do a search on it in the search facility, you may find helpful info that way. HTH

My reply to your question on another thread:

"Can you not work as a mobile Chiropodist and use the same insurance you always have done ?

If not, it might be worthwhile giving Professional Beauty a call and see if they would insure you on your Chiropody qualifications."

HOME STUDY COURSES

I myself wanted to further my beauty qualifications but couldn't afford to go back to college and give up my job. I trailed through the internet and found a great course.
When I looked more closely I found that what I had been told had indeed been very misleeding also. The course would have given me A diploma in aromatherapy, but in actual fact I would have only learnt about the oils themselves!!!
I am now attending a part time college course.
Please everyone look really closely and dont be worried to make loads of enquiries before enroling in anything.
xx

Hi there,

Having just finised my level 3, I can't imagine doing it as a home study course. This is because at college you're working in a enviroment similar to a salon, working on different clients that come in for treatments, having the tutor there to ask any questions, working on equipment that you will find in a salon eg eletro-facials and body, gaining some confident in electrolysis (some students pet hate), making friends with students and supporting each other during A&P and units revision, the list goes on. Also would future employers look on your home study course as sufficient to employ you, as the chances are these employers are beauty therapist themselves who went to college and moved on to open their own salons.

Good luck in what you decide to do :)

Latest posts

Back