Hopi ear candle treatment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me started !!!!!!

The reason why this thread has not been added to by old-timer geeks is that we are bored of the fact that the same people come on and say the same things about a treatment that they don't know very much about and have had no formal training in.

I rate hopi ear candles very highly, I give the treatment, I teach the treatment and I receive the treatment, so believe that I have a right to comment on hopi ear candles.

but, its same old same old. the same comments are made by the same people and we go round and round and round until the thread it closed down.

So, for newbies that have tried to have a grown up discussion about hopi ear candles, be prepared for the fact that in about, oh, um, let me see, 2 days..... this thread will be closed.

If you want to discuss this fascinating subject at a deeper level we have a group designated for unbiased discussion.

Sorry to sound a bit jaded, but have seen this lovely therapy being discussed many times and the same thing happens time and time again.

Yawn!:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

I dont see a reason why this thread should be closed?when we were mainly discussing a treatment which i and everyone else has the right to do, this is what this site is for isnt it???! anyway opinions are opinions, and the 'newbies trying to have a grown up decision about this treatment' comment is a little patronising isnt? we are grown ups dicussing beauty treatments! i thought old times geeks commented on things like this anyway to help us 'newbies' out on this site anyway and give helpful advice,opinions and info??! i was actually trying to make this lovely therapy positive and back it up as much as i can and cast a positive light on it,delivering opinion and correct helpful information! end of!!

Sorry Hippy, but that is completely unfair and totally negative. Instead of just spouting off my 'feeling' on the subject, I linked to studies and reports to back up what I posted. If you disagree with my opinion, fair enough, I disagree with yours. However if you refuse to accept actual studies that I use to support my opinion, then *shrug* it is you who is closed minded.

Instead of being defeatist about the people who agree with the studies instead of your opinions, come back with factual studies that counter the argument they put across instead of the usual *yawn*.

Damnit. I tried so hard not to get pulled into this one :(

I dont see a reason why this thread should be closed?when we were mainly discussing a treatment which i and everyone else has the right to do, this is what this site is for isnt it???! anyway opinions are opinions, and the 'newbies trying to have a grown up decision about this treatment' comment is a little patronising isnt? we are grown ups dicussing beauty treatments! i thought old times geeks commented on things like this anyway to help us 'newbies' out on this site anyway and give helpful advice,opinions and info??! i was actually trying to make this lovely therapy positive and back it up as much as i can and cast a positive light on it,delivering opinion and correct helpful information! end of!!
you have read my post wrong, I was discussing that fact that people come on with negative statements NOT complaining about people trying to have a proper discussion about this wonderful treatment.

If you read on I stated that I have the treatment, I give the treatment and I teach the therapy.

We have discussed hopi ear candles many times, but the thread gets closed, people who have had many discussions on this subject in the past and watch the thread being taken over with very negative comments is whom I was referring to as old timers.

Last edited:
I watched this done in college just as I was thinking god what if you set the persons hair on fire, thats exactly what happened that put me off as I am very clumsy. It wasn,t me as I said I was watching it was one of our tutors doing it on another tutor lol

I watched this done in college just as I was thinking god what if you set the persons hair on fire, thats exactly what happened that put me off as I am very clumsy. It wasn,t me as I said I was watching it was one of our tutors doing it on another tutor lol
What, the tutor set the other tutor's hair on fire? OMG!!!

I've been doing the candles for many years now and this has NEVER HAPPENED! Maybe the tutor wasn't very experienced? Its vitally important that if you decide to offer hopi ear candles as a treatment that you are properly trained.

Unfortunately the public can buy these in shops such as Holland and Barratt, and Tesco used to sell them too.

The scientific evidence is in .....
and so is the apparent evidence of those who flog the product for profit.

I think people have to know where these opinions are coming from.

Is the opinion based on scientific evidence and duty of care?

Or is the opinion based on profit margins by those using, teaching, flogging or selling, here say and the magical wax at the end of the candle?(which has been proven to be residue from the candle, not the ear).

Do you listen to a doctor, or a witchdoctor?
Do you listen to the qualified or the unqualified?

It's up to you, you have been provided with evidence versus bullshyte.

Who wins?

Some important things to remember:

1. If they work on the chimney principal, does your furniture get sucked out of the room every time you light a fire?
2. How come there are so many ashes left after a fire if the chimney effect is so efficient?
3. If the chimney effect was so brilliant, there would be a song missing from the Mary Poppins movie.

Last edited:
I have been following this thread, not because I offer this treatment, but because I know how strong some views are against the views of others, regardless of studies done.

Who wins?
I think the therapists who perform the treatment win. They have clients who enjoy having the treatment done AND they pay for it.

Regardless of whether or not it 'works' and regardless of the studies and 'proof' the kerching of the till means that there is a winner :green:

Regardless of whether or not it 'works' and regardless of the studies and 'proof' the kerching of the till means that there is a winner :green:

So you think it's about sales and profit, rather than credibility ...... INTERESTING.

Perhaps I should swap to cheap products that I buy from ebay, just to get into the swing of the whole "sales above credibility mentality".

I could even "read" jewellery while I'm doing nails with cheap product just to double up on my profits....... NOT.

I actually prefer to offer professional services using tried, tested, proven and respected products.

So you think it's about sales and profit, rather than credibility ...... INTERESTING.
That's not what I said, you're putting words into my mouth that I didn't say and twisting my reply :irked:

Perhaps I should swap to cheap products that I buy from ebay, just to get into the swing of the whole "sales above credibility mentality".

I could even "read" jewellery while I'm doing nails with cheap product just to double up on my profits....... NOT.

I actually prefer to offer professional services using tried, tested, proven and respected products.
You asked who wins and I replied, you've only partially quoted my reply.

If the client believes that the treatment works no amount of studies will make them think otherwise.
If the therapist believes that the treatment works and has happy clients for said treatment then where's the problem?

If the client believes that the treatment works no amount of studies will make them think otherwise. So that means going to chain salons is cool (from a clients perspective), no matter how much we, as professionals try to say otherwise.

If the therapist believes that the treatment works and has happy clients for said treatment then where's the problem? So cheap products must be OK too, no matter how much we, as professionals try to say otherwise

You have to be careful what you condone.
Profit over professionalism is a touchy subject.

If the client believes that the treatment works no amount of studies will make them think otherwise.
If the therapist believes that the treatment works and has happy clients for said treatment then where's the problem?

Here here!! I think there will always be a difference of opinion about these candles, but if the Therapist belives in them and enjoys giving the treatment, and a client feels they benefit from it, then they are both happy.
Those that dont like it dont have to offer it or recieve it.:)

Last edited:
Just my opinion....

I don't doubt that it may be relaxing and nice for some clients....laying down in a nice relaxing environment with dimmed lights and soft music...hey just writing this makes me feel more chilled...:lol:

What i don't like about it is when promises are made that it could do this and do that...when non of those promises have been PROVEN...yes clients may have said this or that feels better but its not be PROVED by anyone with any clout.....but it has been done the other way round.

Its like being mis-sold something....you see a nice bottle of cellulite cream....lovely jar....it feels fab to apply...smells devine....make my skin feel really soft...lasts ages.....but there is no proof that it will help your celulite.....no-ones saying it might not be a nice thing to do/have.....but it shouldn't be sold on the basis that it will do something that has been proven it wont.

Its like me telling clients that having nail overlays will make their nails stronger.....it wont...it will make them feel stronger but there nails will be the same old thin bendy nails they where originally underneath.

Just my opinion....

I don't doubt that it may be relaxing and nice for some clients....laying down in a nice relaxing environment with dimmed lights and soft music...hey just writing this makes me feel more chilled...:lol:

What i don't like about it is when promises are made that it could do this and do that...when non of those promises have been PROVEN...yes clients may have said this or that feels better but its not be PROVED by anyone with any clout.....but it has been done the other way round.

Its like being mis-sold something....you see a nice bottle of cellulite cream....lovely jar....it feels fab to apply...smells devine....make my skin feel really soft...lasts ages.....but there is no proof that it will help your celulite.....no-ones saying it might not be a nice thing to do/have.....but it shouldn't be sold on the basis that it will do something that has been proven it wont.

Its like me telling clients that having nail overlays will make their nails stronger.....it wont...it will make them feel stronger but there nails will be the same old thin bendy nails they where originally underneath.

That's because you have a conscience and care.

We are constantly being told why one thing is better than another (and backed up by science), but when it comes to candling apparently we have to throw all education, science and "proof" out the door and turn into witchdoctors, snake-oil salesmen and profiteers.

ValencianNails said:

If the client believes that the treatment works no amount of studies will make them think otherwise. So that means going to chain salons is cool (from a clients perspective), no matter how much we, as professionals try to say otherwise.

If the therapist believes that the treatment works and has happy clients for said treatment then where's the problem? So cheap products must be OK too, no matter how much we, as professionals try to say otherwise

You have to be careful what you condone.
Profit over professionalism is a touchy subject.
We're discussing a treatment here, not a chain salon, a treatment not cheap products.

I haven't personally condoned anything and I haven't personally put profit over professionalism, this is why I say my words are being twisted!

If the client feels ear relief after having the treatment and if the client is relaxed and stress free after having the treatment, where's the harm in it?
Nobody's answered those questions yet.

By telling another therapist (who doesn't perform the treatment) that they have a conscience and care is like telling all of the therapists who do offer the treatment that they have no conscience and don't care.
IMO that is wrong.

The clients who have candling treatments are happy and the therapists who offer candling treatments are happy, who the heck are we to dictate to them what they should/shouldn't be offering to their clients in their salons?

Horses for courses where this is concerned IMO, if it suits the client and the client is happy and rebooks for their next relaxing treatment who are we to deny them just because there's no scientific proof to say that it works.

We're discussing a treatment here, not a chain salon, a treatment not cheap products.

I haven't personally condoned anything and I haven't personally put profit over professionalism, this is why I say my words are being twisted!

If the client feels ear relief after having the treatment and if the client is relaxed and stress free after having the treatment, where's the harm in it?
Nobody's answered those questions yet. .... well i kinda did...:)...what i said was that there is no harm as long as its not being being advertised or sold as being able to do something that it hasnt been proved to do.

By telling another therapist (who doesn't perform the treatment) that they have a conscience and care is like telling all of the therapists who do offer the treatment that they have no conscience and don't care.
IMO that is wrong.

The clients who have candling treatments are happy and the therapists who offer candling treatments are happy, who the heck are we to dictate to them what they should/shouldn't be offering to their clients in their salons?

Horses for courses where this is concerned IMO, if it suits the client and the client is happy and rebooks for their next relaxing treatment who are we to deny them just because there's no scientific proof to say that it works.

Thats my only gripe with it....how its being sold....on what mertits...that it can cure/help with medical conditions...or just becouse its nice...:idea:

Man, this subject always gets out of hand.

I have no problem selling a treatment based on its relaxing/enjoyment principals. I do object to a service being sold on merits that have been proven to be incorrect. That is the difference.

If someone enjoys a placebo effect from the treatment, I think that is superb - just so long as the treatment hasn't been sold on the basis that it does something that it does not do.

Take physic surgeons for example. These guys are crazy and perform magic tricks with chicken bits and their bare hands to convince the 'patient' that they are removing tumours/diseases and such. Science has proven they are fake, journalists have revealed the shams, yet some people still seek these guys out to pay for treatments from them. In many instances, sick patients have even started to feel better. How is this? Are these guys seriously pulling tumours out of their patients with bare hands - or is it a placebo effect of the patient believing the 'surgeon' is pulling a tumour out with their bare hands?

It is obviously the latter. Acknowledging that, I don't see any harm in Physic Surgery so long as the patient is made aware of the facts so that they can make an informed decision.

Hope that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back