hopi ear candling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

princess nails

Reaction score
:lol: hi just jumped over from nail geek, am thinking of doing a hopi ear candling course, just wondered if anyone has tried out this treatment and what it felt like, also if it benefitted you? many thanx.:lol:

oohhh, thanx judy, was good reading, will have the treatment done myself, then decide.

I read somewhere that the amount of pressure needed to pull wax out of your ear, in the way a hopi candle claims to do, would break your eardrum. :eek:

If it worked for clearing your ears I think doctors would use it, but instead they use syringing. It depends what you are advertising it as I suppose.

All i would say is have it and then see what you think ,under supervision you can do it on yourself.I love them. Some don't.I have enough people i know love it that i need to do the training so i can get insurance to do them.Its just getting round to it.

I love having the treatment done and also love giving the treatment, i find it relaxing whichever the recieving end im on :green:

I've done this treatment only to my loved ones .......good thing cuz the stuff that comes out of there:eek: :eek: I'd be grossed out if it was someone who wasn't related.......they say it works though....I've only had it done once myself....I felt like a candle stick....

Ear candles are a scam, they do not remove anything from your ear, like someone else said the pressure needed to remove wax from your ears would burst your ear drum.

The muck that you find in the candle at the end of the treatment is the residue from the candle, test for yourself, use one candle in your ear and the other away from your ear, just hold it in your hand, the residue will be the same.

Some of this residue can enter your ear even though there is a filter at the bottom of the candle, and quite a lot of people report ear infections after the treatment.

Some people claim it removes impurities from the sinuses as well and some even say the brain itself. The ear canal is not actually directly connected to either of these any good anatomy book will prove this.

Read a bit more into it before you decide to start offering it to your clients, i personally would never allow it in my salon.

HTH :)

I have lots of clients who enjoy and find hopi ear candling very beneficial. I have had it done on myself and at times have used it on my children, so I'm very happy with its safety, (as with anything else if you are properly trained.)

I would never tell a client that the ear wax is 'pulled' from their ears, or show them what is inside the candle, as others have said the wax in the candle is bees wax not ear wax!

G.p's in Germany and some other European countries are using ear candles instead of syringing where possible, as syringing is sometimes an unpleasant experience. There are some contra-indications for not using ear candles, but this is the case with any treatment.

I've had it done and guess what..............it gave me an ear infection.

It's a bit of a con really because they open up the paper at the end to show you the contents; kidding you it's all from your ear, but it's just was from the candle.

It's always good to add another string to your bow but I wouldn't pay too much as you may not make your money back. HTH. xxx

Any doctor worth consulting would not recommend ear candles. They can't be used instead of syringing because syringing draws all the old wax out of your ears, ear candles can not physically do that.

Just try something, get an old water bottle, just a small one (not the litre ones!) put a small piece of paper in the bottom, make sure the bottle is dry first, then put the ear candle in the top and put some plasticine around it to make a seal. The vacum it creates isn't even strong enough to lift this, so how would it possibly draw anything out of someones ear. Bearing in mind that wax is sticky.

I hope no one feels i'm being mean to them, this isn't the case at all, i just feel really strongly about this, and don't get it when others can't see the logic. I don't think you should ever put anything in your ears, and only ever have them syringed if a doctor thinks it's absolutly neccessary.

:hug:

A freind of mine was having problems with her sinuses and was recommended to go for Hopi ear candles a day later she could hardly breathe so off to the doctors she went and he told her she had infected sinuses. I had also tried this treatment prior to my friend and personally it did very little for me apart from emptied my purse of hard earned cash. I think it is a load of croc.
The therapist my friend went to see was not happy when she told her about her sinus infection and told her instantly it wasnt her fault then she moved in for the hard kill and told her that she had got the sinuses on the move so if she had a treatment every day for 2 weeks at a cost of £25 per day she could cure the infection without the aid of medication from the doctors. Needless to say my friend declined the offer of hopi ear candles as who would want to spend the money on a treatment that isnt a proven medical wonder. Personally I think its a waste of time and I have figured this out... people say its relaxing its because of the aromatherapy oils that are burning, and of course you must lie down both of these things coupled together are bound to be relaxing. It would be so much cheaper to just burn a nice candle whilst soaking in the bath with a lovely glass of wine. That works for me more.

I'll drink to that foxy!

Did the doc say that it was related to the ear candles? Is she ok now? How on earth can the therapist say she can cure a sinus infection?! It's drilled into us all at college, we are not doctors, and can not and must not diagnose or claim to cure any problem.

As with any treatment, if you happen to get a bad therapist then thats the fault of the therapist not the treatment, you cannot tar everyone with the same brush.
A good therapist would never;
-advise a client to come every 2 days for ear candling,
-they would not treat anyone with an infection,
-they would not advise against what their G.P had said,
-they would not show the consents of a candle and tell their clients it was their ear wax,
-they would not tell their client that it will definitely work or make them better,
-they would not rip them off
I would also like to point out that at no point during ear syringing is the wax 'sucked out', the ear has fluid syringed into it which hopefully breaks up the impacted ear wax so that it can then pass out of the ear naturally. Syringing also has most of the same contra-indications as with hopi ear candling.
I have to say I have taken some peoples posts personally. I feel that how you have been describing ear candling is the same as when people say that nail enhancements ruin the natural nail and as we all know that only happens with a bad nail tech.:irked:

My mum told me you shouldn't stick anything smaller than your elbow in your ear.Just a thought:lol:

crap... that wasnt the link I was looking for - however I did have one that basically proved it to be totally ineffective. Whatever stuff is in the candle and ear after the burning is caused by burning the candle in the first place :)

I'm not trying to offened anyone with my comments, i'm slating the treatment, not the therapists. It doesn't matter how good a therapist you are, ear candles are dangerous and innafective. I'm simply trying to prove there is no good that can come from using them.

Latest posts

Back