hopi ear candling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This really winds me up!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and allowed to make their own choices. Just because someone doesnt agree with certain treatments or believe in the claims that come with certain treatments (if that makes sense) doesnt mean that the treatment doesnt work. I agree that it is unprofessional for any therapist to claim that the contents of the candle are the contents that have come out of the Clients ears.
Any good therapist will keep records of treatments and will do their own research and follow up when possible the effects certain treatments have on their Clients. Not all therapies are right for every Client, this doesnt mean that the treatment was a load of rubbish, if that was the case then you may as well say that every Holistic/alternative therapy is crap.

I think that the only point is that there is no scientific evidence that the treatment has any effect at all and several studies have been done. If you can point out where scientific research has been done and proven that this treatment is valid, then I would be very interested in reading it and I would happily change my viewpoint. Otherwise I think it is wrong to charge people for a treatment that is merely 'believed' to be working when the science says that it doesn't.

Everyone should go to Quackwatch and read all the articles.

Apparently, the force needed to "suck up" all the wax from your ears into the candle would be so strong it would perforate the eardrum.

Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion but you cannot argue with scientific fact!!

Faye can you clear your messages as need to send you message, thanks

I've taken on board what you've all said and had a look at the links, some of which I have seen before and are all interesting.

I still stand by hopi ear candling (maybe I have been miss-informed of where it originates from). Alot of the bad cases written about where clients have been burned is just bad practice on the therapists part (assuming it was carried out by a therapist) or a badly designed candle being used.
There is no scientific research done on ear candles (as with many complementary therapies), but there is vast amounts of anecdotal evidence and I would not have clients repeatedly returning if they didn't get any benefits from it. There are many things that can't be scientifically explained, this doesn't necessarily make them rubbish.

Ear candling does not suck ear wax and toxins from the ears, as some have suggested. But in my experience, clients who have to have their ears syringed yearly, then a ear candling treatment once a month appears to prevent a large build up of wax.

I always explain to my clients that it may or may not work for them, but as most clients have a facial and auricular massage after the ear candling, they are always very relaxed and are in no way ripped off.

I will bore you no more on the subject and I'm glad we can come on this site and have discussions with lots of different people.:)

many "permanent" eyelash companies have had to do a backflip (or resort to tricky wording)....... hahahah, i love the "up to 6 weeks", that encompasses quite a long time:eek:
Even to state "Hopi" when in fact there is nothing "Hopi" about it is misleading. I prefer to back all my services up with fact, longevity of service, including research & development by my manufacturer/supplier. Guess "Hopi" may have to change wording also ...... or perhaps they already rely on faith alone. Based on "fact" I could not sell this kind of service and sleep comfortably.

When I had my training for Hopi ear candles we were told that Hopi stands for PEACE that was where the name came from. Please dont shout at me if this is wrong I am just telling you what they taught us.

:hug:

many "permanent" eyelash companies have had to do a backflip (or resort to tricky wording)....... hahahah, i love the "up to 6 weeks", that encompasses quite a long time:eek:
Even to state "Hopi" when in fact there is nothing "Hopi" about it is misleading. I prefer to back all my services up with fact, longevity of service, including research & development by my manufacturer/supplier. Guess "Hopi" may have to change wording also ...... or perhaps they already rely on faith alone. Based on "fact" I could not sell this kind of service and sleep comfortably.

When you do the therapies that many of us do you often cannot back them up with fact .Reiki being one of the strangest that really is away with the fairies, but they have reiki practitioners in hospices all over the country.
While you can still be insured for ear candling and there are still very few cases of any harm in comparison to how many are treated ,i will want to do it.
It is a whole 1 hour treatment with massage,music ,scented candles etc its not just a case of sticking a candle in your ear , also the candle does not go in that far its quite wide.
Using the right filtered candles i would say at worst it does no good, although i do it on my son and every few months he will say hes feeling deaf.I do it he feels unbunged and hes fine for another few months.I myself had a raging ear infection a few months back anti biotics didnt work i ear candled and it went ,coincidence maybe .Its not to be recommended because you dont treat ear infections, but its my body and i can do what i like.
If we can only do therapies that we can back up with science that puts a heck of a lot of therapies out of favour.Just because an explanation or scientific reason for things hasnt been discovered yet doesn't mean there isnt one and that something doesnt work.

I read somewhere that the amount of pressure needed to pull wax out of your ear, in the way a hopi candle claims to do, would break your eardrum. :eek:

If it worked for clearing your ears I think doctors would use it, but instead they use syringing. It depends what you are advertising it as I suppose.

Ear candles are a scam, they do not remove anything from your ear, like someone else said the pressure needed to remove wax from your ears would burst your ear drum.

The muck that you find in the candle at the end of the treatment is the residue from the candle, test for yourself, use one candle in your ear and the other away from your ear, just hold it in your hand, the residue will be the same.

Some of this residue can enter your ear even though there is a filter at the bottom of the candle, and quite a lot of people report ear infections after the treatment.

Some people claim it removes impurities from the sinuses as well and some even say the brain itself. The ear canal is not actually directly connected to either of these any good anatomy book will prove this.

Read a bit more into it before you decide to start offering it to your clients, i personally would never allow it in my salon.

HTH :)

I've trained in ear candling, and must admit that i dont carry out the treatments on many people, only really family and friends.

I would just like to say that throughout my training and various books and articles i have read, i have never heard any of these claims about remove impurities from sinuses/brain or indeed claiming to remove ear wax.

A well trained therapist should not be telling clients it removes ear wax, as there have never been any tests to prove this. If you read Andrew Sceats book on Ear Candling there is a lot of information in there about this subject.

oh dear i seem to have started a right debate by asking a simple question!! hope everyone has calmed down now, (only joking) well ive read all ure comments and done alot of reaearch myself and i have decided not to train in this field, many thanx.

Hi been a member for a while and not posted before but have found this topic very interesting.:)
I've looked over all the previous links on this subject and as far as I can see there is no medical proof that this works but some people obviously find it relaxing.
I'll get to the point now-My Grandad is on holiday abroad and is due to fly back Tuesday, he has a problem with his ears which he has been seeing the doctor for (for about 2 Years) its very strange lots of thick brown gunk builds up and nothing seems to cure it, doctor now thinks its possible eczema- anyway he's been in a lot of pain for the last week so my mum has bought some candles and has been performing the treatment every other day!:eek:

Alarm bells are now ringing in my head after reading all these threads. So to those who are qualified in this treatment would my mum of possible caused further damage? And if he had come to you for trreatment would you have carried treatment out all sent him back to doctors?

Part of me thinks this is a stupid question but have to ask!

hi i had this treatment done on myself and also trained in it. i have sinus problems thru hayfeaver and found it helped a lot. just as a therapist you have to make sure the client has no history of perforated eardrum or anything like that and they have no infection or it will just irritate it.
i did my course thru solana academy and my trainer converted me. also they help to relax as i do a mini facial with mine.

Hi just to let you know I had hopi ear candles done last week and have been in agony, finally I went to the docter and he said the inside of ear was burnt and infected. I spoke to the owner of the salon and she said there was no way my ear could be burnt.:irked:

I tried hopi ear candles about a week ago and i have now got two ear infections, and sinus infection.:cry: had to go to the doctor to get antibiotics.....definately happened after using them. Very deep pain in one ear. don;t think i will use them again, and was quite keen initially as i am training to be a complementary therapist.

A freind of mine was having problems with her sinuses and was recommended to go for Hopi ear candles a day later she could hardly breathe so off to the doctors she went and he told her she had infected sinuses. I had also tried this treatment prior to my friend and personally it did very little for me apart from emptied my purse of hard earned cash. I think it is a load of croc.
The therapist my friend went to see was not happy when she told her about her sinus infection and told her instantly it wasnt her fault then she moved in for the hard kill and told her that she had got the sinuses on the move so if she had a treatment every day for 2 weeks at a cost of £25 per day she could cure the infection without the aid of medication from the doctors. Needless to say my friend declined the offer of hopi ear candles as who would want to spend the money on a treatment that isnt a proven medical wonder. Personally I think its a waste of time and I have figured this out... people say its relaxing its because of the aromatherapy oils that are burning, and of course you must lie down both of these things coupled together are bound to be relaxing. It would be so much cheaper to just burn a nice candle whilst soaking in the bath with a lovely glass of wine. That works for me more.
I would like to say that ear cones are better than candles, the difference is the hole at the bottom of the cone is minute and the cone fits more comfortable in the ear. There can be no debris falling into the ear or the hole would be blocked. Surely if wax was dripping into the candle it would also drop into the ear and the client would have felt that!!
When I trained at college I was told it is not all from the clients ears but it is not all candle either. If it was just candle wax every clients cones would looks exactly the same plusthe cone from each ear would look the same and the same colour of wax. If the client has a problem they can visit again between 3-7 days but it has to be up to them. I have the treatment regularly to help me with my sinus trouble and it is amazing and I have clients who swear by it. So I would say proof is not always scientific, I don't suppose the Hopi Indians who invented the sysytem thought about whether or not it is fake...they just knew it worked maybe if your friend had visited one more time it might have worked for her. And I have a client who's daughter is a doctor who embraces holistic therapies, most doctors now don't like syringing nowdays.

:lol: hi just jumped over from nail geek, am thinking of doing a hopi ear candling course, just wondered if anyone has tried out this treatment and what it felt like, also if it benefitted you? many thanx.:lol:

Hi i had the treatment done a couple of weeks ago and it was lovely, its kind of a warm sensation and very relaxing, and at the end when you unravel the candle to see whats there its amazing, (always thought my ears were clean. lol) the ears feel really clean and you feel very relaxed as well, i would reccomend it to anyone,

good luck with the course and i am sure you will benifit from it,

HTH

Hi been a member for a while and not posted before but have found this topic very interesting.:)
I've looked over all the previous links on this subject and as far as I can see there is no medical proof that this works but some people obviously find it relaxing.
I'll get to the point now-My Grandad is on holiday abroad and is due to fly back Tuesday, he has a problem with his ears which he has been seeing the doctor for (for about 2 Years) its very strange lots of thick brown gunk builds up and nothing seems to cure it, doctor now thinks its possible eczema- anyway he's been in a lot of pain for the last week so my mum has bought some candles and has been performing the treatment every other day!:eek:

Alarm bells are now ringing in my head after reading all these threads. So to those who are qualified in this treatment would my mum of possible caused further damage? And if he had come to you for trreatment would you have carried treatment out all sent him back to doctors?

Part of me thinks this is a stupid question but have to ask!

A freind of mine was having problems with her sinuses and was recommended to go for Hopi ear candles a day later she could hardly breathe so off to the doctors she went and he told her she had infected sinuses. I had also tried this treatment prior to my friend and personally it did very little for me apart from emptied my purse of hard earned cash. I think it is a load of croc.
The therapist my friend went to see was not happy when she told her about her sinus infection and told her instantly it wasnt her fault then she moved in for the hard kill and told her that she had got the sinuses on the move so if she had a treatment every day for 2 weeks at a cost of £25 per day she could cure the infection without the aid of medication from the doctors. Needless to say my friend declined the offer of hopi ear candles as who would want to spend the money on a treatment that isnt a proven medical wonder. Personally I think its a waste of time and I have figured this out... people say its relaxing its because of the aromatherapy oils that are burning, and of course you must lie down both of these things coupled together are bound to be relaxing. It would be so much cheaper to just burn a nice candle whilst soaking in the bath with a lovely glass of wine. That works for me more.

As i have mentioned previously in this thread, i have trained in this treatment and have read a lot of books and articles on it. I am not at all saying that it definately works and i realise a lot of people are dubious about it.
What i will say is no one should be performing this treatment every day or even every other day, that is definately wrong. When i was taught, i was told once a week is the most frequent, but normally the treatments should be at least 2 weeks apart.

Latest posts

Back