How clean is your routine?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
missytinny said:
I always sanitize mine and my clients hands, (obviously) all metal tools are in barb, also sterilize my files after each client in front of them and a new client always asks "What are you doing", when informed you can see they are happy that files etc are sterilized it is quite scary some of my clients have said they have never had to sanitize there hands, or seen things sterilized with some techs quite scary really.

This is where problems arise when technicians think they are doing something when they are not, or use the incorrect terminology.

Here in this post the term sterilize has been used 3 times incorrectly. At the most you will have disinfected, not sterilized, your abrasives in front of the client, and this is all that is necessary to do.

Disinfection has been deemed by the UK industry code of practice to be all that is normally necessary in the nail salon environment with the exception of incidents where the skin has been abraded or cut, in which case, sterilization is needed.

I sanitise (Barbicide) all my tools and files in between clients and disinfect (Chlorispray) my nail station. I use fresh towels between each client too. I wash my hands and ask the client to wash theirs and then apply sanitiser (Cool Blue). Hand sanitisers are not really effective unless hands are washed prior to applying the sanitiser.

I think to throw away files after each manicure client is a bit of a waste. If you don't want to use that file on other clients, why not sanitise it and give it to the client who had the manicure.

Great thread.

Urban Geek said:
I sanitise (Barbicide) all my tools and files in between clients and disinfect (Chlorispray) my nail station. I use fresh towels between each client too. I wash my hands and ask the client to wash theirs and then apply sanitiser (Cool Blue). Hand sanitisers are not really effective unless hands are washed prior to applying the sanitiser.

I think to throw away files after each manicure client is a bit of a waste. If you don't want to use that file on other clients, why not sanitise it and give it to the client who had the manicure.

Great thread.

Sorry I was lazy and Quoted Chris' reply. Chris said all the things that I do except and i am a little confused. Are you suppose to have your cleints wash their hands prior to cool blue? I have always (and was taught) just used cool blue and had no problems.
I eagerly awaite your replies

Josephine said:
Sorry I was lazy and Quoted Chris' reply. Chris said all the things that I do except and i am a little confused. Are you suppose to have your clients wash their hands prior to cool blue? I have always (and was taught) just used cool blue and had no problems.
I eagerly await your replies

In my opinion it is common courtesy for a client to wash her hands before the service starts, and Cool Blue works more effectively if hands are washed prior to the service.

I would never think of doing someones nails if they hadn't washed prior to the service nor would I present myself to a client without clean and sanitized hands of my own.

Using Cool Blue on unwashed hands is better than using nothing at all, but MUCH better to do both.

Hand sanitizers wont remove physical debris either. THerefore you need to CLEAN first then Sanitize.

HTHs!

The Nail Geek said:
Hand sanitizers wont remove physical debris either. THerefore you need to CLEAN first then Sanitize.

HTHs!

It would be good to use a surgical hand wash as this will provide maximum sanitation prior to using a sanitizing hand gel or spray. NEVER short cut ths procedure as hand to hand contact is a very easy way for disease/infection to spread.

As regular hand sanitation throughout the day is essential, it would be advisable to use products with skin conditioners so that your hands don't become dry.

my routine is mostly the same as
handwashing first for both myself and client and at the ned of the service (before enamel etc)
sanitising spray or hand gel
change desk towels and washable towel
chlorispray for files and surfaces
barbicide for my metal tools.
i think it is important that your client see's your starting and finishing "sanitising routine".
also as i am mobile the same applies and allways take your litter with you, not dispose of at clients home.

Well, I have a shower every day ..... :lol:

Same as the rest.

* Wash my hands and clients before every treatment
* Clean towels and roll for every treatment / new client
* Clean table with Chori-Spray between each client.
* Tools are cleaned with anti-bac solution and Chlori-spray after each treatment and soaked in Barbicide during treatment.
* All files are sprayed with Chlori-Spray before and after each treatment.
* Files are disposed of if I accidentally nick someone, but this has never happened before.
* When doing pedicures, I wipe the bowl with Chlori-Spray in front of client, and afterwards it's washed with Anti-bac solution and then Chlori-sprayed again.

River

Pretty much the same as all of you, although I was told by previous training providers NOT to wash the hands as the water may make the nail plate swell and cause lifting. So I've stuck with that. Am I wrong not to wash hands first?

Also, I use my hand gel (coolblue or the Mundo "smells like I'm on holiday!" gel) again DURING treatment if I ever blow my nose, cough in my hand, sneeze etc, just as a common courtesy and additional protection.

Sassy Hassy said:
Pretty much the same as all of you, although I was told by previous training providers NOT to wash the hands as the water may make the nail plate swell and cause lifting. So I've stuck with that. Am I wrong not to wash hands first?

Also, I use my hand gel (coolblue or the Mundo "smells like I'm on holiday!" gel) again DURING treatment if I ever blow my nose, cough in my hand, sneeze etc, just as a common courtesy and additional protection.

This was quoted earlier by Sam

Fresh towel(s) for every client, inc fresh paper towel on top.
for tools i use barbacide between clients, and for files i scrub this with a nail brush and spray them with clorispray. also wash mine and clients hands and use coolblue before service. then i coolblue myslef after.
beins mobile i dont have any hard services to disinfect - but if i do they from home i use clorispray for this.

Sassy Hassy said:
I understand that you need to wash han ds first before using sanitisers for them to be fully effective. (It really makes a mockery of the hospital sanitisers at the entrance to wards - they are not doing the job without the hands first being washed.)

Urban Geek said:
I understand that you need to wash han ds first before using sanitisers for them to be fully effective. (It really makes a mockery of the hospital sanitisers at the entrance to wards - they are not doing the job without the hands first being washed.)

Sanitizers will work if you don't wash your hands - but sanitizers don't remove dirt - they just sanitize it. The bottles in hospital wards are not there as an alternative to a hand wash - they are there to sanitize your hands - dirt and all!

Please be patient with me Nigel - this is all so confusing.

Is it the case that sanitisers are as effective without hands being washed prior to application as they are when hands are washed first?

Sassy Hassy said:

As highlighted above I too was told that washing hands BEFORE doing application can cause lifting due to water swelling the nail plate and have actually had this happen with a client so I too only use coolblue, maybe I should rethink this. I also worked in a salon for a short while that had no running water so hand washing was not possible at all. I also use Chloispray on my files and keep them in a sealed plastic bag, with the name of the client on the bag so that I can use that file again with the same client on their next visit.

Urban Geek said:
Please be patient with me Nigel - this is all so confusing.

Is it the case that sanitisers are as effective without hands being washed prior to application as they are when hands are washed first?

I'd ALWAYS recommend washing hands prior to sanitizing them. Then they are clean (free from dirt) and sanitized. A sanitizer will work better on clean hands.

It wont cause lifting if you have your clients wash their hands first :)

The Nail Geek said:
It wont cause lifting if you have your clients wash their hands first :)
This is what I always thought too.
The way I understood it is that its soaking that causes the nail to swell, not washing.

Thank you all for clarifying. Looks like I need to get some paper towels then! I just get so confused when you get told one thing by one place and another thing elsewhere! I was almost scared to ask in case you hung a bell round my neck and a sign saying "unclean" !!!! LOL :lol:

nailnerd66 said:
Sorry to disappoint you but no it’s not an autoclave, it is a complete system and IP means [Intellectual Property] and according to many legislators in different states sterilization will become the norm for us here. It is very surprising how very little is understood about our industry and the relationship we have to the possibilities of cross-contamination of blood borne pathogens.

you seem quite persistent to scare people about the 'industry' that you claim to love so much.

Latest posts

Back