How did you learn to sculpt?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexnailnewbie

Reaction score
Hello Geeks,
As the title says i would like to know how you all learned to sculpt. I have tried to sculpt on myself before but couldn't get the forms to stay put :( so i am hoping you can point me in the right direction.

My course didn't really show this so I watched many videos online and gave it ago I struggled so much with sticker forms as I found they would not stay in place so I brought the reusable forms and there so much easier (I got mine from eBay just to have a play to see if they work for me or not) x

I took a CND course when I finished my esthetics training as I wanted to focus more on nails. I believe in the UK it's called the CND Complete course. It helped so much with form fitting, placement & sculpting. Then it was just practice, practice, practice :)

I did every single repair as they came along, by sculpting it. That way, I only had to do one perfect nail at a time until I was proficient. Once comfortable I would do a full set when the right client came along.

I have always tipped when a tip was easier and a sculpt when the nails were right for sculpting. Sometimes a tip gives a better result and sometimes sculpting is faster when done on the right nails. I do whichever is easiest according to the condition of the nails.

I find that some people just suit forms absolutely perfectly, the form sits beautifully just under the free edge. Some people need a little adjustment, perhaps slightly widening the forms to fit etc, then some people are a pain in the butt and tips are better lol.

My mum was my model for Brisa Lite sculpts but she didnt want her own free edge to be filed away. However due to such small nails and massive c curve and the odd dip in the nail, she was an absolute nightmare and resulted in the extended free edge of the gel being under the free edge. Then when I tried to shape the nail I ended up with her nail showing through where the form had dropped. I was gutted :irked: but it taught me a lesson and when I did my daughters nails this afternoon I double and treble checked that the forms sat right. Even mistakes are a learning curve. xxxxx

I do both also. I love sculpting, but it wasn't until I converted to CND over 4 years ago that I learnt the art of sculpting the right way. I always seemed to struggle with it, and looking back the forms I was using weren't much help either.
I could never get the hang of the rectangular or horseshoe forms and the re-usable ones just wouldn't stay put for me.
I've tried lots of different ones and found CND performance forms perfect for the job. They don't move once you have fitted them correctly. Perfect.

I do both also. I love sculpting, but it wasn't until I converted to CND over 4 years ago that I learnt the art of sculpting the right way. I always seemed to struggle with it, and looking back the forms I was using weren't much help either.
I could never get the hang of the rectangular or horseshoe forms and the re-usable ones just wouldn't stay put for me.
I've tried lots of different ones and found CND performance forms perfect for the job. They don't move once you have fitted them correctly. Perfect.

I agree. I have used every form in the book .. both re-usable and not and the CND teflon forms are suitable (or can be made to suit) everyone. Very firm when placed and never move.

I did every single repair as they came along, by sculpting it. That way, I only had to do one perfect nail at a time until I was proficient. Once comfortable I would do a full set when the right client came along.

I have always tipped when a tip was easier and a sculpt when the nails were right for sculpting. Sometimes a tip gives a better result and sometimes sculpting is faster when done on the right nails. I do whichever is easiest according to the condition of the nails.

Do you think there is only so much that can be learnt and then someones natural artistic ability has to take over and if you don't have that you are never going to be able to do stilettos or the amazing coloured sculpts.
It never ceases to amaze me some of the brilliant work in the gallery when someone has only been trained for a few months is it nature or nurture.
Its why I have never really ventured into l and p.I know my limits and wouldn't be happy.

Do you think there is only so much that can be learnt and then someones natural artistic ability has to take over and if you don't have that you are never going to be able to do stilettos or the amazing coloured sculpts.
It never ceases to amaze me some of the brilliant work in the gallery when someone has only been trained for a few months is it nature or nurture.
Its why I have never really ventured into l and p.I know my limits and wouldn't be happy.
A natural ability helps with everything not just L&P. But don't be discouraged. How many REAL clients actually want stilettos? they are really not part of the real world of nails in the salon. If you never did them it would not impact your business. Same with 80% of what you see in the magazines.

I agree. I have used every form in the book .. both re-usable and not and the CND teflon forms are suitable (or can be made to suit) everyone. Very firm when placed and never move.

I must agree with you Geeg, they even fit my daughters terrible ski jump nails but only after you completely remove her free edge. If I wasnt to remove the free edge then they wouldnt be suitable, so I think sometimes you need to fit the nail to the form as well as vice versa.

I actually have a client that really cant wear tips, her nails are such an unusual shape that I have to get the forms and nail to merge together perfectly but in doing so she never loses a nail, unlike tips which only last a week on her. xxxx

I must agree with you Geeg, they even fit my daughters terrible ski jump nails but only after you completely remove her free edge. If I wasnt to remove the free edge then they wouldnt be suitable, so I think sometimes you need to fit the nail to the form as well as vice versa.

I actually have a client that really cant wear tips, her nails are such an unusual shape that I have to get the forms and nail to merge together perfectly but in doing so she never loses a nail, unlike tips which only last a week on her. xxxx

No form fits a ski jump nail and you do not want it to. The correct procedure IS to remove all the free edge before sculpting; that is how you do it!!

I also learnt to sculpt with my local CND educator. I use a different product & sculpts now but the principle is the same. I sculpt now any repair I need to do, my clients prefer the sculpts as they feel much more natural than a tip. Once you get the hang of it it's so easy. There's a knack for getting the sculpt to fit - but the clear forms can put cut to suit the nails, and once you've got the hang butting up and following the nails natural c-curve you're there.

No form fits a ski jump nail and you do not want it to. The correct procedure IS to remove all the free edge before sculpting; that is how you do it!!

Lol sorry Geeg I know this, not on form typing today. What I was trying to explain was that even tho my daughters nails are really hard, (extreme ski jump and the tiniest nail beds youve ever seen) sculpting is by far the most successful way to go with her. :hug: xxx

This is a useful thread for me, as I so want to do more sculpting. It's so clever, and more interesting than tipping. But I know I have to choose my sculpting clients carefully. Clients go silent when I sculpt on them as they have never seen it done before, and are impressed with the fact they look more natural.

Which course is the sculpting one with CND?

I've done the Shellac, going for my Brisa lite sculpting gel next week.
Then I want to do the l&p conversion.

I currently only offer gelish but am dying to get into acrylic as its super popular in my area. I was hoping to do the acrylic fusion course through nail harmony which is sculpting. I don't know a lot about acrylic as Iv never had them done myself but was hoping could just do sculpting? But from a few things I have read would you recommend that I also learn tips?! So confused please help! Xxx

I did sculpting when I did my bio sculpture course 2 years ago, however never ever did any or even use tips - I just did NNO. I chickened out of doing repairs or extensions. But it always niggled me that I couldn't offer a repair or extension.

BUT...

I did my BRisa Lite sculpting conversion today - and WOW!!! I learned soooo much and left with such confidence. Now I can't wait to do them. Bring it on!! I feel like a real nail tech now lol!

PHP:

Heres a photo from my training today :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365547474.268802.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365547474.268802.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 378

So happy to read that- my had a v-shaped chip out of her thumbnail yesterday so I tried to sculpt it back in but could not get the form to fit without a gap under her free edge, so really I should have taken her free edge off and sculpted her a new one. Would that be correct? X

Latest posts

Back