How do you avoid a great white shark attack?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote\]Ive thought of applying an insect repellent patch to see if these might help to put the little blighter's off :idea:[/quote]

I'm sure boots sell a spray called jungle juice, it's an insect repellant in a little green bottle.

Its a known fact great whites are terrified of it.... couple of bottles of that strapped onto your lilo your away! no shark will come within a square mile of you.

Honestly though... I have no serious advice lol, I won't even dip my big toe in waters i know sharks are / could be in :eek:

As soon as you hear the 'daah da daah da', get the hell out the water!
They don't like contrast in colours so make sure your B&Q tan isn't patchy.
You'll be fine, they don't attack their own :lol::lol:

I live in Perth, Australia and the only people that get bitten are surfers and serious swimmers at dusk and dawn... Not bikini clad tourists.. Hehe. You will have a great time. The water is bloody cold though unless it is 40*C in Perth so that puts me off more than anything! :)

Oh and Collin save your pennies if you want to eat out. We are one of the most expensive cities in the world to dine and drink (often with below average food and service!) Have a good holiday :)

Oh and Collin save your pennies if you want to eat out. We are one of the most expensive cities in the world to dine and drink (often with below average food and service!) Have a good holiday :)

My friend will definitely agree with you on that one.... 15 bucks for a bottle of rekorderlig cider that's cost about £1.50-£2.00 here!!! Shocking!! I'd be T total haha

On the shark note..... Stay out of the water! Lol! There were 5 shark attacks while my friend was there and 4 out of 5 of them being near the shore!

If you do go in the water... Don't pee in the sea, no matter how warm it makes it! Lol

Enjoy :)
X

Well I'm a tasty (slightly bigger) morsel, so obviously I would be a better choice.:wink2:

dressed like that with that crown on your head would certainly be enough to scare any great white to death...so we have a deal :wink2::lol::lol:

Sorry love, not much more I can add, no scratches or wounds, even if they are not bleeding anymore. Sharks can still smell them, Steer clear of surfers and/or surf boards, no late night skinny dips, dawn and dusk are not a good time either. I am certain you can get a rod that affects their electro magnetic field and repels them, Not sure if it is commercially available yet.

When we went back to SA the other year I was deperate to go cage diving with the great whites but DH put his foot down and we never went, did have a few fabulous dives though with other sharks, Hammerheads ( about 50 of them), Ragged Tooth Sharks, picked up some teeth from the bottom ( shark's not human. LOL) Zambezi (Bull Sharks), we even fed some of the less dangerous ones, then we went to Mozambique and the icing on the cake, the first Whale Shark they had seen in that part of Moz in years. It was HUGE and I can tell you it was still scary even though I know they dont eat big food.

Good luck and I hope you really enjoy your trip, we'll miss you and expect a daily blog on EVERYTHING

Sorry love, not much more I can add, no scratches or wounds, even if they are not bleeding anymore. Sharks can still smell them, Steer clear of surfers and/or surf boards, no late night skinny dips, dawn and dusk are not a good time either. I am certain you can get a rod that affects their electro magnetic field and repels them, Not sure if it is commercially available yet.

When we went back to SA the other year I was deperate to go cage diving with the great whites but DH put his foot down and we never went, did have a few fabulous dives though with other sharks, Hammerheads ( about 50 of them), Ragged Tooth Sharks, picked up some teeth from the bottom ( shark's not human. LOL) Zambezi (Bull Sharks), we even fed some of the less dangerous ones, then we went to Mozambique and the icing on the cake, the first Whale Shark they had seen in that part of Moz in years. It was HUGE and I can tell you it was still scary even though I know they dont eat big food.

Good luck and I hope you really enjoy your trip, we'll miss you and expect a daily blog on EVERYTHING

ahhhhhhh your so sweet and wow what adventures youve had :hug:

Seeing the whale shark must have been an awsome experiance for you

I shall be skuba diving off the barrier reef in a couple of weeks time with big brother who im sure the sharks will think is a tastier,and bigger :eek:,meal for them :lol::lol:

Thats me off to the airport at 2am lol

Heres one to make you laugh, my very first year in the Uk hubby and I bought a little RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat that scuba divers use) and went on plenty of diving adventures.

We were out on the bay in Falmouth, the sea was like glass. Dead still. We kitted up and down we went. Suddenly I feel urgent tugging at my sleeve, look up into hubby's wide staring ( terrified) eyes, he is pointing behind me.

My life flashed before me. Coming towards me with a mouth a big as a garage door was a Basking Shark, feeding, wouth as wide as can be. I swear I could have fit in there without even stooping down. Well that was me!!!! Like a polaris missile to the surface. I always struggle to get my gear off and back in to the boat. NOT that day. I was like a penguin, straight in without touching sides.

I don't care that they arent man eaters. To me coming from great white infested waters the sight of a fin 4ft out of the water and a mouth that big scared the cr*p out of me. Nearly 20 years later we still laugh about that day, especially now that I cant wait to get in the water with them. I used to be scared of the seals as well, when you see that black shadow speeding up from the corner of your eye, you cant help screaming.LOL

Now the only excitement we have under the waves is the arguments we get into, all our dive buddies have a laugh at us when we are in mid flow, argueing by sign language or writing down the next insult. When I dont want to listen to him anymore I just shut my eyes and then swim off. That is frustrating.HaHa

Last edited:
Heres one to make you laugh, my very first year in the Uk hubby and I bought a little RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat that scuba divers use) and went on plenty of diving adventures. We were out on the bay in Falmouth, the sea was like glass. Dead still. We kitted up and down we went. Suddenly I feel urgent tugging at my sleeve, look up into hubby's wide staring ( terrified) eyes, he is pointing behind me. My life flashed before me. Coming towards me with a mouth a big as a garage door was a Basking Shark, feeding, wouth as wide as can be. I swear I could have fit in there without even stooping down. Well that was me!!!! Like a polaris missile to the surface. I always struggle to get my gear off and back in to the boat. NOT that day. I was like a penguin, straight in without touching sides. I don't care that they arent man eaters. To me coming from great white infested waters the site of a fin 4ft out of the water and a mouth that big scared the cr*p out of me. Nearly 20 years later we still laugh about that day, especially now that I cant wait to get in the water with them. I used to be scared of the seals as well, when you see that black shadow speeding up from the corner of your eye, you cant help screaming.LOL
Now the only excitement we have under the waves is the arguments we get into, all our dive buddies have a laugh at us when we are in mid flow, argueing by sign language or writing down the next insult. When I dont want to listen to him anymore I just shut my eyes and then swim off. That is frustrating.HaHa

amazing stuff...all be it at the time a tad scary :wink2:

I'm sorry I don't have any other advice to add, but wanted to say that I could read stories like these all day!! I would LOVE to go cage diving with great whites....its on my bucket list ;) to the OP -have a fab time and as someone else said daily blogs and plenty pics!

I'm sorry I don't have any other advice to add, but wanted to say that I could read stories like these all day!! I would LOVE to go cage diving with great whites....its on my bucket list ;) to the OP -have a fab time and as someone else said daily blogs and plenty pics!

Thank you and im sure I will.....but I am also working you know :wink2::lol::lol:

Working at Blogging, snapping candid pics and Urchinning!!!! I know the drill.

By the way, catching the urchins is a lot better than eating them. Snorkelled for them in Mauritius and would rather have just snorkelled.

Hope all goes well with work though, I look forward to deciding whether they make the cut or not and teaching them to suck eggs!!! Only joking. Let us know how it all goes

Working at Blogging, snapping candid pics and Urchinning!!!! I know the drill.

By the way, catching the urchins is a lot better than eating them. Snorkelled for them in Mauritius and would rather have just snorkelled.

Hope all goes well with work though, I look forward to deciding whether they make the cut or not and teaching them to suck eggs!!! Only joking. Let us know how it all goes

:wink2:

Get yourself a packet of cheese Twisties and a Cherry Ripe. Yum!

what the heck is a Cherry Ripe ...cheese twisties I get yum yum yum but cherry ripe :rolleyes::hug:

what the heck is a Cherry Ripe ...cheese twisties I get yum yum yum but cherry ripe :rolleyes::hug:

It's a chocolate bar. Dark chocolate with a cherry centre. Lovely.

Is that to keep the sharks at bay, or to keep work at bay
:lol:

Those Cherry Ripes sound Gorge,

Collin, you are under strict instructions to branch out into import/export and send some "samples" back home

Now you have gone and done it, I love Coconut and I love Cherries and I almost love chocolate as much. What to do now???? D*mn you geek for showing me the temptation, (I am on the Dukan diet as well. aaarrrgggh) Will have to place a sly llittle order now wont I? LOL

Latest posts

Back