How do you become a trainer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that is an interesting question given that there does seem to be an increase in trainers it would be good to know what is enticing them down this road & what the motivation is to take on the extra work?

Also, to the trainers: How do you cope with your existing clients when you are always out training? Does your base business suffer? Surely if you are working all day every day serving clients then taking days off to train will mess with your appointment book?

Still true to the original post aswell x

I took the training job on to expand on what i was doing. At the time i was working part time for the DWP & doing part time mobile (nails, tan & wax) Also that i LOVE tanning, and i wanted to pass all my knowledge on to the north east (we didn't have a spray tan trainer)

After a few month, i quit my job with DWP and was doing mobile full time, and training.

Now i work for Wow, train and still do mobile.

But i have a different view on training now, in a few year i want to have my own academy... as there isn't many in the northeast. Then i might go on to having a distribution unit... then take over the world... hahaha... only messing.

I am only 23... my possibilities are endless, i am soooo grateful for the job i have with wow, training/in the office as it has, and will continue to open many doors for me.

I LOVE MY JOB!!!

YES i do want it all. I am very ambitious i want to be the next WORLD WAX QUEEN

Certain days for training is a good idea in theory but i know how hard it is to organise a group of people to be available on certain days. I guess forward planning is the key to juggling everything x

OMG not another wax queen :lol::lol:

From the considerable amount of time I have been involved with training at all levels there is one thing that is consistent with those that I have had the good fortune to meet....desire and a passion for wanting to pass on your skills to others!!

Unless your at the top of the Christmas tree in your given subject becoming a trainer is not going to make you super rich and will give you many sleepless nights..should I have passed that student..was I right to ask her/him back because he/she wasn't quiet ready...OMG that student just cant get the hang of what I'm trying to teach her so am I any good as a trainer kind of questions to yourself.

There is an overwhelming feeling when you are able to teach or pass on a skill to another individual and watch them take what you have taught them and get out there and do it for themselves...

The most successfully trainers are those that enter this sector not purely for financial gains but simply out of desire.

To become a competent and successfully trainer you do need to have a willingness yourself to be taught and to constantly strive to be better at what you do.

Training others relay is not as easy as it may seem but none the less if you can master it the rewards are wonderfull...

Last edited:
Can I speak for the nail side of the industry?

As I was the lead trainer for Creative Nail Design in the UK for 20 years, during which time we won, not ONE but TWO, awards for the Best Industry Training, I feel I have the right. Our company still is the only NAIL company to have ever even been nominated for these awards let alone won them twice. We won over competition from Dermalogica amongst others, which makes me even more proud as I respect their place in the industry hugely.

We won I believe because of several things. Our Passion, our commitment, our integrity, our skill, our innovative products and our CULTURE of education. Yes, education is not a programme at Creative it is 'where we live' it is our culture and one of the founding philosophies of the company.

So what does anyone have to do to become an Ambassador for this awesome company ... what do you have to be able to offer to Creative in order to become a trainer for them? All of the above plus a minimum of 5 years salon experience and the desire to share and help others learn and improve to the point where they are successful in the job.

Do you have to have letters after your name? Not necessarily. WE undertake the training of our Ambassadors and we turn out the finest in the world. Training is stringent and on going.

Just to qualify to do the CND educator training requires guts and determination and humility too because only a small proportion of those who apply actually get picked to do the Creative Boot camp training. Only the best of the best will make it and they have to prove it at pre qualification.

Many many fail before they get to the point of being chosen. This is always sad but more than just the above things it is also most important that a persons personality fits with the rest of the team and that their attitude is what we want to see in our educators. I have turned down some great nail technicians over the years because they just didn't fit in. For them It was about their ego and not about the student. With Creative the ego has to go out the door because we are all about the students and seeing that they 'GET IT'.

So if you think you fit the bill ... you need to apply to the company and get onto the pre qualification list and even before that and a personal interview there is a questionnaire to fill out and even this could cause your elimination. It's no wonder that one person said, "It's easier to get into MI5 than become a Creative Ambassador. :lol:

By the way, we have just held our pre-qualification day for ths year on Monday this week so you've got another year to get prepared. You have to be a Creative Grand Master technician before you can even start the process. But it's worth it.

Last edited:
You know Geeg that post makes me respect CND so much more and actually inspires me!

It's like if you want to be a CND trainer you have to work your ass off to prove your good enough. So to actually get in is a major achievement & a worthy achievement.

It's also really good for students as they are truly getting the best of the best not just at the art but the teaching as well.

I wish all company's were this strict a few people who have taught me were barely better than me and couldn't get their point across at all!

You know Geeg that post makes me respect CND so much more and actually inspires me!

It's like if you want to be a CND trainer you have to work your ass off to prove your good enough. So to actually get in is a major achievement & a worthy achievement.

It's also really good for students as they are truly getting the best of the best not just at the art but the teaching as well.

I wish all company's were this strict a few people who have taught me were barely better than me and couldn't get their point across at all!

And that is because education is only a programme to them, something they are required to do to look good ... most nail companies will sell to anyone, no matter what they say to the contrary, with or without any education. Education is not their culture and it never will be ( they don't even understand what that means or the difference between the two), nor will they ever have the loyalty CND enjoy from their customers.

Well I think that is why CND is so respected.

I always tick people off for doing this on threads BUT .... Thank you.

Last edited:
ok.. I have just pm'd you flower about the being childish remark.. and as you know I didnt actually say that.

SO swiftly moving on.... :hug:

Yes training does take half a day.. full days for more intensive training for sure... I would like to think I will be doing half and half in an ideal world. Maybe training at the beginning of the week when the salon is quieter.. and leaving the latter end for weekly clients. It can work I am sure... but only time will tell.

Most of my training is 121 training which is half a day and the student gets my undivided attention for the whole of that time, so a full days group training is not 'more intensive', they just get longer because there are more of them and it's only fair. All of my training is intensive.

You can Google any course and you'll see that there's a lot of time spent on theory and not much hands on. My courses are ALL hands on. This was one of the reasons that I was reluctant to get my courses accredited as time has to be spent on health and safety, fire escapes etc. I don't want to change my style of training. I love the way I train and from the feedback that I get, so do my students.

Also, I changed my site to say mentoring instead of training but I've checked it out and it makes no difference what you call yourself. You can call yourslef what you like but at the end of the day, if you don't deliver the goods you won't get any biz.

Pink Potions..........I don't always manage to cope with the two sides of my biz but I'm single and my daughter is an adult, so I'm a free agent to travel etc. I'll be taking on help in the near future so that will leave me more time to actually train as they'll be dealing with the admin side of things, which I'm crap at.

Most of my training is 121 training which is half a day and the student gets my undivided attention for the whole of that time, so a full days group training is not 'more intensive', they just get longer because there are more of them and it's only fair. All of my training is intensive.

You can Google any course and you'll see that there's a lot of time spent on theory and not much hands on. My courses are ALL hands on. This was one of the reasons that I was reluctant to get my courses accredited as time has to be spent on health and safety, fire escapes etc. I don't want to change my style of training. I love the way I train and from the feedback that I get, so do my students.

Also, I changed my site to say mentoring instead of training but I've checked it out and it makes no difference what you call yourself. You can call yourslef what you like but at the end of the day, if you don't deliver the goods you won't get any biz.

Pink Potions..........I don't always manage to cope with the two sides of my biz but I'm single and my daughter is an adult, so I'm a free agent to travel etc. I'll be taking on help in the near future so that will leave me more time to actually train as they'll be dealing with the admin side of things, which I'm crap at.

Ah intensive .. sorry Kim... I used the wrong word there.. I meant more in-depth... ie.. the tanning would be a half day session covering theory and application, H&S etc ... but for something with more theory needed ie waxing for example.. some of the students I get may not have done any waxing before.. so they would need to know everything from scratch and it couldn't possibly be just hands on.. they have to start with a full grounding, if it was just mentoring then yeah.. one2one full on hands on - great.. that's what they want. either way the length of training will be appropriate to the amount of knowledge and application time needed to give them what they are paying for, and it may be more than one day.. and certainly in this case.. I could see myself struggling with fitting in clients. So yes.. it will ALL be intensive but some courses will be more in-depth lol!!!

Just wanted to clarify :hug:

See i've always wondered about that especially someone as busy as yourself Kim, you should push your daughter into the waxing biz teach her everything you know and then there will be someone to keep shop while you travel to Scotland x

I wish. She has no interest in waxing (works in computers). She's very supportive though and encourages me with everything I do.

My clients all know that I'm a trainer and they generally book in advance around my training.

Well, I'm gonna be the next Chip Queen.....off to have some dinner. xxx

Well, it has just taken me 30 minutes to go through and delete the personal, irresponsible and irrelevant posts from this thread.

Thanks (you know who you are). That is half an hour of my life I will never get back :D

Now, to contribute....

I suppose teaching qualifications are beneficial to a degree. However an NVQ in Uber Teaching doesn't really equate to an Uber Teacher any more than an NVQ level 3 in Nail Technology makes a nail professional. In fact, in my experience it can often mean the opposite!

A teacher isn't something you can 'make' via a program, a script or a verification process. A teacher is someone who inherently has a desire to inspire.

Sometimes a company (or school) will be littered with the inspirational bodies. Sometimes a company (or school) will be void of them. Why? Because it isn't the qualification process that creates them, it is the culture within the company (or school) that cultivates them.

That is the secret.

If you want to teach, you do not have to be the best at whatever it is you are teaching, you just have to have a real passion to connect, share and learn.

I totally agree with that, you have to have the desire to teach, the enthusiasm about your work. I am planning on doing a teaching course, after my experience in my last salon (all of one day lol) My heart bled for the young just qualified girls. They could all wax, but lacked confidence in there skills and through doing that they made mistakes, mistakes that caused pain and bruising. They were hesitant, neglected pulling the skin taught but had an overall view on how it was to be done.

One of the girls was sacked in front of me because of her nerves and i hate the fact that these girls will probably never come back into the industry. The salon manager wanted me to train the girls, which would have been great, but if i was to train girls i want to do it in an environment were they will get confidence not have it taken away from them.

We all have to advance our skills and become the best in whatever we do, we all choose our own paths, but life will decide whether the path is the the right one.x

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah intensive .. sorry Kim... I used the wrong word there.. I meant more in-depth... ie.. the tanning would be a half day session covering theory and application, H&S etc ... but for something with more theory needed ie waxing for example.. some of the students I get may not have done any waxing before.. so they would need to know everything from scratch and it couldn't possibly be just hands on.. they have to start with a full grounding, if it was just mentoring then yeah.. one2one full on hands on - great.. that's what they want. either way the length of training will be appropriate to the amount of knowledge and application time needed to give them what they are paying for, and it may be more than one day.. and certainly in this case.. I could see myself struggling with fitting in clients. So yes.. it will ALL be intensive but some courses will be more in-depth lol!!!

Just wanted to clarify :hug:

That's fine Jen.......I was gonna go into a Wax Queen strop then LOL. You know what a diva I can be :wink2:

That's fine Jen.......I was gonna go into a Wax Queen strop then LOL. You know what a diva I can be :wink2:

You strop Kim.. no ... never.... Drama Queen maybe but thats why we all love you so much :hug:

I think to be honest guys every one has an opinion on a trainer, and many can slate others for following in a path that has come about through there excellent skills. There is sceptisum in regards to who should be allowed to train and who should not.
I have not read through all the posts, but by the sounds the mods have had some fun deleting posts.
How would i deffine a trainer. Well i beleive there are several types of trainers.
To work on the general public we therapists need specific qualifications to obtain insurance and to be able to work on the general public. These courses are accredited simply because collages and so fourth have specific guidlines to follow, to make sure that we are aware of the skins structure, the way the hair grows, muscles, lynphatic system and so on along with health and safety in the work place. Accredited courses are there also to help us the general public, to now whome will offer us a course that meets legislations and teach us correctly. ( At the end of the day when we are paying money out, we want only the best)
There are many trainers out there that are not accredited that portray them selves as the best in the industry, that talk the talk but simply do it all the wrong way.
For advanced training or to gain skills that only proffesionals who have worked in the industry have learnt over the years is hard to come by. Kim is right in saying that she is a mentor, she is there as a means to an end, to develop peoples skills so they can work competently in the industry and to encourage confidence. When i went to see kim, i did not go to gain a qualification i went to advance my skills, things that colleges do not offer. I could wax when i went to see kim. i new all about contraindications and health and safety but i lacked confidence in myself, which then showed itself in my technique. Ok so some would say why pay all that money to gain confidence. Well if u had scene me three months ago to now u would no why. I left kim armed with knowledge of theindustry, how to improve on my timeing, how to save money by applying the wax in a different way, how best to hold the skin and so on.
When i had my day in the salon i walked and talked on the shop floor like a proffesional, i waxed clients that were in shock with how good the finish was and how pain free there treatment was. The other therapist looked at me like i was some kind of god( yeah i no, but it was true, the owner pulled the other girls to bits, but me she could not do enough)
Our industry is a hard one, and we have many competiters and salons want only the best. Like that young girl who was staright out of college and ripped apart on her first day. People like kim, and hopefully one day myself will help people like this and if it means we have to be accredited then that is what we will have to do. Kim has helped many people and i am sure many tanning trainers and nail techs have whether accredited or not. What makes a good trainer is the person, and the will to want to help others become the best in what they do.

So to become a trainer, become the best at what u do, become an accredited trainer by taking the relevent qualifications or becoming a mentor like kim or others like her. x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back