How do you become a trainer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Reaction score
Hi all

I've noticed that quite a few geeks are also trainers and distributors for things like Tantrick tanning, or semi-perm eyelash extensions. How do you get into this? How did you all do it?

Many thanks

Thank you, I didn't realise someone else had posted the same thing!! Who is this 'Wow factor' company I keep hearing about lately?

x

Due to advertising im not sure if can put a link in a thread for you, however do a search on here as the owners are fellow geeks.

You can also google the name and that will take you to their homepage.

Last edited:
Thank you, I didn't realise someone else had posted the same thing!! Who is this 'Wow factor' company I keep hearing about lately?

x

Wow Factor are the cool company that took over Tantrick last October. AND who will be distributing/training for Berins form the end of this week :green::green:

Is owned by Collin & Britta, (collin & wowbb on here) and there is little me that works in sales :green:

HTH

Hi all

I've noticed that quite a few geeks are also trainers and distributors for things like Tantrick tanning, or semi-perm eyelash extensions. How do you get into this? How did you all do it?

Many thanks

Hi Noodles.....In answer to your original question.....How do you get into training?

Generally speaking a high level of proven experience and proven expertise in your subject area is needed and required so you obviously know what your talking about!! The City and Guilds 7303 learning to teach in the lifelong learning sector is also a course that is more and more becoming a requirement for trainers. Some trainers are requiring 3 years minimum experience and NVQ or equivelant experience in the relevant beauty sector before you can be a trainer.

However there will still be companies out there that will take people on as trainers providing they use there systems and are very enthusiastic.

Hope this helps

x

I personally think that everyone who teaches should have a teaching qualification even if it is just the City & Guilds diploma in training.

Obviously experience & enthusiasm is important but knowing how to deliver is equally important only a very small percentage of people are born with the ability to teach without training in my opinion.

I worked as a training officer for a large youth organisation for 4 years and i had to go on courses every 4 months just to keep up to date with how to teach others and i constantly had to prove i had the skills. It's not easy to be a real trainer.

I think when it comes to adults people don't care enough, if someone applied for a job at your childs school with no formal qualification in teaching but loads of enthusiasm would you be happy?

I personally think that everyone who teaches should have a teaching qualification even if it is just the City & Guilds diploma in training.

I couldn't agree more :hug:

This is exactly the sort of programme we have introduced throughout our network of trainers over recent months and one reason why we have an ongoing programme of assessment,moderation and retraining of our own trainers s a must if appropriate training is to be given.

I couldn't agree more :hug:

This is exactly the sort of programme we have introduced throughout our network of trainers over recent months and one reason why we have an ongoing programme of assessment,moderation and retraining of our own trainers s a must if appropriate training is to be given.

Go you! You should brag about this more as not many employers offer this!

Go you! You should brag about this more as not many employers offer this!

Why thank you :hug:

If we are to stand any chance of developing skill levels at the salon level those companies that offer training need to meet minimum standards,accreditation and self policing together with a willingness to adapt training methods to meet both market demands as well as legislation changes.

I think there's a lot of confusion between 'Trainers' and 'Product Demonstrators'...........There's no comparison at all.

I think there's a lot of confusion between 'Trainers' and 'Product Demonstrators'...........There's no comparison at all.

I fully agree Kim....however this is specifically about training :hug:

100% spot on Kim there are so many demonstrators calling themselves trainers these days when in actual fact they are showing you how to use a particular product. When ever anyone is contemplating any form of training they should always ask for recognised qualifications (gov recognised not product line) then they can be assured they are truly receving a qualification which can be used with any product line in that discipline.

100% spot on Kim there are so many demonstrators calling themselves trainers these days when in actual fact they are showing you how to use a particular product. When ever anyone is contemplating any form of training they should always ask for recognised qualifications (gov recognised not product line) then they can be assured they are truly receving a qualification which can be used with any product line in that discipline.

Yup i agree!

My previous post was most definately for Trainers not demonstrators & by trainer i mean a highly qualified / experienced individual who will train you to be competent at something you couldn't previously do & will really help you grow your treatment list!

A demonstrator is someone who will show you how to do something you can already do but with a different product.

Last edited:
While assesment, moderation and re training is a fantastic step to take you cant buy or train experience. I am finding there seems to be loads of trainers out there whom are fairly new to the treatments that they are then becoming trainers.

Having said all that its back down to the old regulation nag isn't...........:zzz: lol

While assesment, moderation and re training is a fantastic step to take you cant buy or train experience. I am finding there seems to be loads of trainers out there whom are fairly new to the treatments that they are then becoming trainers.

Having said all that its back down to the old regulation nag isn't...........:zzz: lol

I think you find this with a lot of companies fairly new to the industry, they get over excited when some one sings their praises and the next thing you know that person becomes "head trainer" when their only real qualification is enthusiasm for a new product they have found. Sad state of affairs really isn't it?.

100% spot on Kim there are so many demonstrators calling themselves trainers these days when in actual fact they are showing you how to use a particular product. When ever anyone is contemplating any form of training they should always ask for recognised qualifications (gov recognised not product line) then they can be assured they are truly receiving a qualification which can be used with any product line in that discipline.

I couldn't agree more...:hug:

There are many companies as well as individuals that seemingly purport to be trainers or offering training and use these terms in advertising to pull in customers when in fact they are far from accredited,offer minimal training and no recognised certification which facilitates adequate insurance cover to those that have supposedly been "trained".

I think it highly unethical for individuals or companies to advertise "training" in their marketing campaigns when in fact they mean either "demonstration,product awareness or mentoring"

The label on the tin should be clear and precise as to what you will find inside...not withstanding that it goes completely against trading standards and could well end up getting the individual or company into deep trouble.

I think you are right - experience is very important, but so are other factors.
If you feel confident about a certain treatment and are contemplating to train others in this you should speak to some companies but be honest about your qualifications, experience and how much effort you can and want to put into it.
There is no point in making out that you are experienced for years and know what you are doing when you have only recently learned the skills yourself or have not even had the training yourself.

Some companies are expecting a lot and will want to see a lot of qualification and enthusiasm as they are putting the training of their product in "your hands" - no matter what training it is or how small or large the area is you are going to cover.

You hear of trainers that have had limited or no training or have even been trained "on the go" without appropriate assessment of their skills, qualifications or capabilities and its hard to imagine that such "trainers" will have enough knowledge to pass on their know how, skills and experience.

Fundamental training and knowledge is the most important along with enthusiasm and the will to make things work and not give up at the first hurdle. Experience will come over time and cannot be forced - even though some are quicker in taking something new in than others - but only with the right training can you get the right experience (if you are doing the treatments wrong and gain experience this way - what good is the experience or does it actually make matters worse?)

If you are interested in becoming a trainer have a look and see which treatments you like and would like to teach others and then you can find out what qualifications you would need to teach this :hug:

I have done 2 teaching/training city and guilds courses, they are easy enough do access and do, but as its hard to get the next step the 7404 without being employed as a teacher, i want to use my training skills and train people, but i wouldnt know how to go about that self employed?
anyone know?? do i contact the company with the products/equipment i want to train with??

Is that what you mean noodles, you want to train people for a certain treatment?like st.tropez, or creative nails?

Latest posts

Back