How long does it take to get business???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creative Cal

Reaction score
Well I was ready to had in the towel this week...I had 2 cancellations from clients and then I did an awful set of pink and white where everything went wrong!!! I still have no appointments booked in for next week and I am in the process of trying to move house and find a job with less hours so I can devote more time to my nail business!!!!

ARGHHHH!!!!

Then last night I had a girl booked in for a full set of acrylics and she was a hurrendous nail biter..I was sooo worried how I would fit 3 zones on such a tiny tiny nail plate!! Anyway I used tips and used clear and white acrylic to give a natural look and the finished result was brilliant!!! She was so impressed she has booked her rebalance for 10 days time and took a load of business cards to give out to people..she even tried to give me a tip!!!!

This has given my confidence the boost it needed I think and I am going to spend this weekend making leaflets and postcards and getting them in local business's also my boyfriend is a pilot and he is going to give out leaflets to all the air hostesses..you would think they would want to have nice nails!!!

Anyway my question is...how long did it take people when starting up mobile to get regular bookings??? I am still a bit worried i have nothing booked in for next week..I know it takes time...but how long did it take for you all???

XXXXX

How are you advertising? Have you done a leaflet drop around your local area; do you have posters up in places like shop windows, etc? Are you advertising on the web, e.g. Gumtree, and if so, do you have a website that you link to from your online adverts that gives more info about your business, e.g. treatments offered, prices, geographical area covered, etc? As these may be areas you could look into to boost your advertising and attract new clients.

Also, how about offering special offers for new clients, e.g. 25% off your first treatment, for example - or a loyalty scheme, e.g. after 5 treatments, you get your 6th free, etc...
Posted via Mobile Device

Well I was ready to had in the towel this week...I had 2 cancellations from clients and then I did an awful set of pink and white where everything went wrong!!! I still have no appointments booked in for next week and I am in the process of trying to move house and find a job with less hours so I can devote more time to my nail business!!!!

ARGHHHH!!!!

Then last night I had a girl booked in for a full set of acrylics and she was a hurrendous nail biter..I was sooo worried how I would fit 3 zones on such a tiny tiny nail plate!! Anyway I used tips and used clear and white acrylic to give a natural look and the finished result was brilliant!!! She was so impressed she has booked her rebalance for 10 days time and took a load of business cards to give out to people..she even tried to give me a tip!!!!

This has given my confidence the boost it needed I think and I am going to spend this weekend making leaflets and postcards and getting them in local business's also my boyfriend is a pilot and he is going to give out leaflets to all the air hostesses..you would think they would want to have nice nails!!!

Anyway my question is...how long did it take people when starting up mobile to get regular bookings??? I am still a bit worried i have nothing booked in for next week..I know it takes time...but how long did it take for you all???

XXXXX

Glad you have had the confidence boost you needed. :hug:

Word of mouth takes time! You have to gain a reputation before others will either leave their current technician to give you a try, or even hear about you when there is quite a bit of competition.

Business does not come over night but as people use you, your rep will spread and things will begin to happen for you.

You should actively encourage client endorsement by asking all clients to recommend you if they are happy with your work. If you don't ask you don't get.

Make each appointment memorable for your clients so they don't forget you; and do it at each and every single appointment they ever have with you. There is no point in giving a great service one time and then the next not giving the same or better. We should always try to go beyond the expectations of the client in some way, always.

Every flight I take the majority of flight attendants wear enhancements (and not always nice ones either :irked:).

It is really an impossible question you are asking. It so depends on YOU, your personality, your level of skill and expertise, where you work and how you work, how you market your services etc etc etc. No one can really give you an answer ... just encouragement.

How are you advertising? Have you done a leaflet drop around your local area; do you have posters up in places like shop windows, etc? Are you advertising on the web, e.g. Gumtree, and if so, do you have a website that you link to from your online adverts that gives more info about your business, e.g. treatments offered, prices, geographical area covered, etc? As these may be areas you could look into to boost your advertising and attract new clients.

Also, how about offering special offers for new clients, e.g. 25% off your first treatment, for example - or a loyalty scheme, e.g. after 5 treatments, you get your 6th free, etc...
Posted via Mobile Device

Ha ha are you crazy?? :lol: My regulars would skin me alive if I did such a silly thing.

I have always rewarded loyalty ... I sure as hell wouldn't discount a first time client! Why give a gift like that to someone you don't even know??

I would never offer a discount anyway. Gift, yes ... discount NEVER. It may amount to the same thing but discounts belong in bazaars not in professional businesses. The word makes one look cheap and shoddy and desperate IMHO.

Ha ha are you crazy?? :lol: My regulars would skin me alive if I did such a silly thing.

I have always rewarded loyalty ... I sure as hell wouldn't discount a first time client! Why give a gift like that to someone you don't even know??

I would never offer a discount anyway. Gift, yes ... discount NEVER. It may amount to the same thing but discounts belong in bazaars not in professional businesses. The word makes one look cheap and shoddy and desperate IMHO.

Geeg, I stand corrected! Obviously what seemed logical to me (offer a new client a discount off their first treatment to get them through the door so that they can see what you can do, and hope they like you and switch to you) isn't necessarily sound business sense; like you said, it certainly wouldn't be for an established tech with an already loyal client base anyway.

It's the sort of thing that banks would do (e.g. here is a nice credit card with a 5.9% interest rate - now please go run up a huge debt so we can then bump up your interest rate a couple of times so we charge you 15.9% a couple of years or so later - except that as soon as they do that, you balance transfer to one of their competitors) - and we know what happened to those silly bankers now...
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you for all your advice..I do know it takes time

I have tried advertising on gumtree and also on facebook..I am also going to add myspace at the weekend and there is a leaflet drop planned.

I have been giving business cards out to local businesses and to al my friends. Whe I was training I did all my friends nails for free for practice and gave them business cards to pass out to people.

I bought myself a pay as you go mobile to use just for my business..but it hasnt rung once yet!!

So I am redoing cards and things this weekend to advertise Minx and maybe target a younger audience..I guess it is trial and error...but will keep going

xxx

Geeg, I stand corrected! Obviously what seemed logical to me (offer a new client a discount off their first treatment to get them through the door so that they can see what you can do, and hope they like you and switch to you) isn't necessarily sound business sense; like you said, it certainly wouldn't be for an established tech with an already loyal client base anyway.

It's the sort of thing that banks would do (e.g. here is a nice credit card with a 5.9% interest rate - now please go run up a huge debt so we can then bump up your interest rate a couple of times so we charge you 15.9% a couple of years or so later - except that as soon as they do that, you balance transfer to one of their competitors) - and we know what happened to those silly bankers now...
Posted via Mobile Device

Not correcting you, just thinking differently and long term.

To me it is all about perception and what message that action is saying to people ... I'm worth less today than I will be the next time you come through the door? I'm new and inexperienced and am desperate for clients? If I can afford to discount you now then I am charging too much in the first place?

There are other promotions to start your business that don't give out these sorts of signals to clients. A small free gift to every client for the month of XXX? This is nice and doesn't cost the technician anything approaching the dent that a 25% discount or even a 10% discount would leave in the salon revenue BUT the client perceives the gift at retail value which will be more than the technician is spending. WIN WIN. We can't afford to bankroll clients with offers of discounts ... there are smarter ways that look professional into the bargain. IMHO

I have to agree with Gigi on this one...Once Rich asked me what "discounts" i wanted to offer....the look on my face made him recoil:eek::lol:

I also agree with the perception we give to clients,and making a profit that is to "our" advantage,after all we are in it to make a living not a hobby!

It is the little things that clients like,and you only have to go just a little to make the client feel thay are winning,but ultimately it is you the therapist that is gaining.I am, not talking deception here,just plain old common sense!:hug:

I remember talking about this before,i much prefer the word "incentive" or "gift"....i have not lowered my prices and i have rarely done free offers,i may include a product incorporated in the price,but then i want clients to follow home care...they just get "that look" if they have not:eek:

I'm about to open up my salon in about 3 weeks. What I'm doing is offering the first 25 clients that book a time (and keep it), a small giftbag in which I have put a mini solar oil, a mini cucumber creme and I'm thinking of adding a third thing (maybe a file). In the bag there will also be my leaflet, businesscard ect.
I don't do a discount on my new sets, but I have made special prices for those who become loyal to me this way: If they rebook and keep the time (they can move the time once, but have to rebook to keep the special price) they pay less for a rebalance or a backfill than others who don't book immedieatly.
If I'm making specials maybe it would bee free nailart, glitter or likewise, but don't know about that yet...
My grand opening thing to get clients is I'm gonna buy some kind of ipod or likewise, have my businessname ingraved, and display it in the salon. Then hand out loads of businesscards to clients, they can then write their name on a businesscard and if a new client comes in with that card I'ts put in a container besides the price, and after xx months I will then pick a businesscard and they will recieve the price. I'm thinking of making this a regularly thing with ofcourse a lot cheaper prices (lotions, solar oils, gitfcertificates(sp?) etc.)
Maybe some of this is an idea you cold use?

Good thinking ... SMART girl!!

Now think of 6 such promotions for the year and change them every 2 months. Or think of 4 and change them every 3 months .. these things keep customers interested and not only that but show them you have got some business savvy .... which you obviously have!!

Dare I say ...? No I daren't!!! :lol:

I'm about to open up my salon in about 3 weeks. What I'm doing is offering the first 25 clients that book a time (and keep it), a small giftbag in which I have put a mini solar oil, a mini cucumber creme and I'm thinking of adding a third thing (maybe a file). In the bag there will also be my leaflet, businesscard ect.
I don't do a discount on my new sets, but I have made special prices for those who become loyal to me this way: If they rebook and keep the time (they can move the time once, but have to rebook to keep the special price) they pay less for a rebalance or a backfill than others who don't book immedieatly.
If I'm making specials maybe it would bee free nailart, glitter or likewise, but don't know about that yet...
My grand opening thing to get clients is I'm gonna buy some kind of ipod or likewise, have my businessname ingraved, and display it in the salon. Then hand out loads of businesscards to clients, they can then write their name on a businesscard and if a new client comes in with that card I'ts put in a container besides the price, and after xx months I will then pick a businesscard and they will recieve the price. I'm thinking of making this a regularly thing with ofcourse a lot cheaper prices (lotions, solar oils, gitfcertificates(sp?) etc.)
Maybe some of this is an idea you cold use?

Thank you so much!
I thought about every 2month too... just have to keep them interested:green:

I too give a gift bag to new clients only, a cuticle oil, hand creme & file, they love it!!! Im still trying to become very good at acrylics & minx before i go & advertise to a larger audience.

I have picked up some great tips and advice from this thread. I was growing tired of sitting in the salon for hours (10:30am-7:30pm)with only one maybe two clients per day and the majority being polish changes. Making gift bags should be fun and I love the raffle idea. Keep the promotion ideas coming!!! lol

Well, normally I would say the same as Gigi, NEVER give discounts!

BUT what I did when I started out was that I did a PERFECT set of nails on myself (very short, natural looking - people tend to think they need to have very loooong nails when getting nail-ext.) and dressed up like a business-woman (funny...:)) I visited some of the clothing-shops close to me, spoke to the people working there, told them about myself and my work, showed them, and said they could get 10 Pound off with the card I gave them. I did this for ONE day, handed out about 5-10 cards and they got me LOTS of clients. My point is, if you do discounts, do it EXCLUSIVE, don't put it on facebook/myspace and tell it's only for this week... and next... and next... etc...etc....

Another thing that worked for me was to tell my clients that if they gave me one new client, they would get some percent off their next appointment. I had this offer for a month or two.

Don't do the thing that I see many beginners do, buying too much "knick-knack" when you can't afford it. You don't NEED lots of nail-art to start with and you don't NEED lot's of different products.

And the very last that's still working, although I am the most expensive one in Norway: DO THE BEST WORK EVER, AT EVERY CLIENT, EVERY DAY.

Good luck! :hug:

Latest posts

Back