How low can they go? Is this the lowest price yet?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Someone advertising on Facebook acrylic extensions in my area, TWO people for £25 including polish, glitter, bows, rhinestones, nail art, anything you want!!

Is there no hope? Is this the lowest price for nails yet?

Nope, Ive seen acrylic 'Full set extensions £10' on a A board outside a salon 😱 ... Crazy! Xx

wow - I charge £35 for one set!

I have people charging £10 even £5 a set !!! Good luck to them. I try not to let it get to me as from looking at their pictures, there shocking!

Well I did think to myself, they look vaguely passable from a distance although the close ups left a bit to be desired, not shaped that well and a bit uneven and not tapered and elegant and beautiful like mine :lol:

and I don't know how long they're gonna last but there were some people saying they wanted to book her again so ... ? Maybe a cheapie set for a weekend or party etc?

I can't think any tech who can actually produce real decent work that looks good and lasts well would actually lower herself to charging such a paltry amount. You can't even get a natural nail mani for that with me and I didn't think I was that expensive.

Yes, I see on daily basis that same scenario on my country, plenty of nail tech offering full set of acrylics for miserable prices. But after viewing pics of their work - french acrylics using white tip, putting the white tip almost on the lunula on very short nails or those cheap tip with design made, attached to a little nail were you can visually detect is a fake nail even from 300 mts.

You get what you paid for, most of these cheap work are horrible. If you recognize your work is decent and cute, don,t offer low prices, since you don,t want to join the market of the monster nails do you?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392924547.296612.jpglol

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I saw somebody advertising the other day in my area "genuine CND Shellac one colour for £8 or with nail art for £10!!!" I looked at her pics and she's actually really good! I charge £20 and still not making a huge profit so I don't have a clue how she does! Xx

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using SalonGeek mobile app

I see this all the time!

CND Shellac for £8.00!!!
Acrylics for £15!!

I can never compete with these prices.
They will soon know what they are getting for what they are paying.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

It's a shame, my area has always been really good for prices, no one majorly undercutting anyone else, but recently I've seen shellac for £6.50, acrylic nails £5, gelish £10, eyelash extensions £10 and file and paint £3.50!! Oh and I saw one girl pop up the other day; full leg wax £4.00 half leg £2.50, eyebrow wax £1.50, eyebrow wax & tint £5.00 and all of them are mobile! I mean come on they're working for less than minimum wage... They probably aren't even covering their petrol! Why would you even bother getting out of bed for that?

Doesn't bother me about them doing it so cheap but I find myself writing lots of comments underneath about why they think their work is that crap that they don't deserve to earn more money never actually posted it though as don't want to get in a war with anyone lol!

There was one girl offering acrylic nails for £5.00 an someone commented saying "how much do you charge to come to clevedon", this nail tech lived about a 40 minute drive from clevedon an commented back saying "no extra charge, it's just a flat rate of £5.00"

😱 xxxx

I see people advertising on facebook a lot for really cheap enhancements, i often wonder if they are trained/insured

I see people advertising on facebook a lot for really cheap enhancements, i often wonder if they are trained/insured

I've seen some of the prices geeks on here are charging.
So they may well have had good training and use good products but are desperately trying to get a foot on the ladder .
I feel sorry for them ...it's tough out there.

Just because you charge less doesn't automatically make your work crap or lesser than someone elses.

I won't go into my pricing as I know you'll all jump on me. I charge what I can for my clientele and area and it works for me.

*runs and hides :(*

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

There's a girl who posts in my local Facebook group. Manicure £5, pedicure £7. Gel or acrylic £15. "I can go to you" the pics are shxoking

I know of someone doing gel for €5, haven't seen any pics so don't know what they're like! Also a salon just opened up beside me, charging €15 for 1 hour treatments like massage, facial or reflexology! There's no possible way people charging prices like this could be making money, I don't even know how they could be breaking even! I would dread to think what kind of products they are using!

Amanda xx

Just because you charge less doesn't automatically make your work crap or lesser than someone elses.

I won't go into my pricing as I know you'll all jump on me. I charge what I can for my clientele and area and it works for me.

*runs and hides :(*

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi Hun,

Im definitely not assuming your work is crap or not as good as mine but I am curious as you do state you charge low prices, how do you actuallyy make money? do you make up for it by getting more clients than if you charged more?

I am in Australia and my prices range between $45 for french/natural through to $ 65 for unlimited nail art (acrylics or gel) and I am not expensive campared to a lot but I do see girls charging $ 15 for a set and I just dont understand where their profit would come from as it costs me at least $15 in product to do a set (then I charge my time on top). sorry for the long reply.

xx

Hi Hun,

Im definitely not assuming your work is crap or not as good as mine but I am curious as you do state you charge low prices, how do you actuallyy make money? do you make up for it by getting more clients than if you charged more?

I am in Australia and my prices range between $45 for french/natural through to $ 65 for unlimited nail art (acrylics or gel) and I am not expensive campared to a lot but I do see girls charging $ 15 for a set and I just dont understand where their profit would come from as it costs me at least $15 in product to do a set (then I charge my time on top). sorry for the long reply.

xx

I also charge low prices £18 for a full set I sat and worked out the exact cost of products not a lot really I use nsi it takes me an hour 15 so the profit is good. Plus when I lowered my prices I gained new customers who come back regular so bonus!

I've seen some of the prices geeks on here are charging.
So they may well have had good training and use good products but are desperately trying to get a foot on the ladder .
I feel sorry for them ...it's tough out there.

I agree its a tough market place out there, and I never look at what other people are charging.
I charge for my time and my expertise and I use the genuine article quality products. I have a loyal clientele that keeps me as busy as I want to be.
I charge £30 for a set of L&P enhancements, how could I charge less when I am £23 for Shellac?
I get enquiries for enhancements but no bookings, I can't remember the last time I had a new client for L&P, I have a few enhancement clients though that have been coming to me for years so I do keep my hand in. Shellac and Gel polish are my main treatments, and I am happy with that.
I couldn't charge less than I do, as I have my overheads, rent, stock etc and tax to pay.
I keep myself fully stocked and invest in new products (IBX for example) which my clients appreciate.

I do feel for people who feel forced to charge low low prices for their services as they honestly cannot be making any profit, and what is the point of working if you aren't earning....even I don't love nails that much ;)

I agree its a tough market place out there, and I never look at what other people are charging.
I charge for my time and my expertise and I use the genuine article quality products. I have a loyal clientele that keeps me as busy as I want to be.
I charge £30 for a set of L&P enhancements, how could I charge less when I am £23 for Shellac?
I get enquiries for enhancements but no bookings, I can't remember the last time I had a new client for L&P, I have a few enhancement clients though that have been coming to me for years so I do keep my hand in. Shellac and Gel polish are my main treatments, and I am happy with that.
I couldn't charge less than I do, as I have my overheads, rent, stock etc and tax to pay.
I keep myself fully stocked and invest in new products (IBX for example) which my clients appreciate.

I do feel for people who feel forced to charge low low prices for their services as they honestly cannot be making any profit, and what is the point of working if you aren't earning....even I don't love nails that much ;)

I'm the same Izzi and agree with what you've said.

Unfortunately the market is saturated and because of the principle of supply and demand the price is continously been driven down to ridiculous levels which are totally unsustainable

So you either cut corners to save costs which is never going to work or you struggle to keep going by reducing your prices to compete which again can't work in the long term.

This has the knock on effect of devaluing a service .

It's hard to read posts about geeks struggling to keep going in business. Everyone is full of enthuasim and pride when they open their own business and it has to be soul destroying to be forced to admit defeat and close up.
There's no room for sentiment in business , if your area is already full of people offering the same service as you , you need to really sit down with a level head and do the sums .
It's not personal it's economics .

I can't find the post on my Facebook but there is a girl offering acrylics for £6 mobile. The post says something along the lines of
"Look I know I'm not qualified but I enjoy doing nails and have done them for ages, £6 loads of colours and glitters you come to me or I can come depending where you are"
Riles me as to how she has 21 comments asking for appointments and if she will do 2 sets for £10.
Shocking x

Latest posts

Back