How many files do you guys go through?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose143

Very Proud Creative Geek
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I know this is a stupid question but I am trying to figure out if I go through too many files. I find creative's files a bit more pricy than other brands but I can't go wrong with creative's because they last so well. But then I'm paying that little bit more.

I use the 240/180 grit file and I use a new one with every rebalance and full set so on average I'm using 5/6 new files per day ... Is that bad?

Any comments would help, have searched the forums already ... thanks!!!

xxxx

Hi babe
I have to use a new file at each rebalance now too. I used to be able to get two or three out of a file when I first started but not anymore.

Whether it's different manufacturing processes now, as I know Creative moved their suppliers, or I'm just more skilled and prefer sharper abrasives to work with I don't know.

I love the Tuxedo abrasives but just can't get hold of them anymore, I definitely used to get more out of those.

I can usually get 2 or three sets from a Koala but certainly not anything coarser.

Hi
I'm the same. Do you guys wash yours - if so does this get them back to nearly new?

Definitely used to last longer. :cry:

hi geeks

i use a new file every one/ two rebalances, i am mobile and only have a few clients so i keep individual files for individual clients..... i do sanitise with a file spray too xxxx

wish they would last longer too
xxxx

i too use a new file on each re balance.

And yep creative files are pricey - but...the best i've come across.

Amb x

Thanks peeps for you time!! :hug:

xxxx

I go through a few, mainly because I like to have a nice sharp abrasive. I have never tried to wash them ( I use one for each person I do so I only tap off dust and put it away) does it help to maintain them?

I work in the grinding industry and we use great big abrasive wheels to grind metal camshafts. As the wheels are grinding they have a steady flow of oil on them to reduce friction and preserve the wheel. I wonder if this same concept has ever been applied to nails? I mean if you used a bit of cuticle oil on you file while shaping the nail would it help reduce friction and preserve the file, and in turn help preserve the nail, as heavy filing causes the polymers to break down??

I use 2 files per client. One is a wood 180/180 and the other is 100/180. The wood boards are one client use, as for the 100/180 it's sanitizable and I average about 5 clients with it before it's dead. Essence Salon & Spa Solutions has the best prices and selection of files I have ever come across. A 50 pack of woods is $17.55 and 100/180 50 pack is $26.55 (canadian so in pounds it would be about 8 pounds and 13 pounds)

I only hand file so I understand how the price of files can be a killer. 95% of the time the files are awsome but every once and awhile I get a bad pack. The grit might be a little more or less than I would prefer but thats a manufacturing thing.

SC

Check out premiernailsource.com for their files.

I always use a new abrasive for each rebalance, then i always santisise it afterwards and find that i can use it again when i need a not so coarse abrasive if you know what i mean?

I keep two files for each client that are used only on them. They are washed, disinfected, and stored for their next appointment. They each get an EzFlow Grey Wolf and Grey Fox and they usually last for about 4 appointments - - full set, fill, backfill, and fill. They are spendy at $1.25 each but I think they are well worth the price.

I would use about 4 files per week, I only use 2 types of files, but I have about 10 sets of them (one set for each client) in numbered bags. I have 3 of each file on the go (a new one, a medium one and an old one) after each client all 3 go into another bag (to be sanitised), when the old file becomes useless, I throw it out, then the medium becomes the old, the new becomes the medium and I introduce a brand new one. But I only go through 2 new files of each type per week. With an average of 30 - 40 clients.

I would use about 4 files per week, I only use 2 types of files, but I have about 10 sets of them (one set for each client) in numbered bags. I have 3 of each file on the go (a new one, a medium one and an old one) after each client all 3 go into another bag (to be sanitised), when the old file becomes useless, I throw it out, then the medium becomes the old, the new becomes the medium and I introduce a brand new one. But I only go through 2 new files of each type per week. With an average of 30 - 40 clients.

WOW thats an amazing system you have got going there! :)

I dont have a file for each client, but like Nailzoo I have 3 on the go at any one time. I have tried quite a few brands of files but I always go back to LCN as their files last for ages, I probably only need to start a new one each week ... and that's when I was doing 25 clients a week!

Where do you get your file (LCN) from Sassy?

I work like this and have about two or three when im doing a rebalance. I will use a new file for every second rebalance and that file will then be sanitised and then i will us eit for blending and finishing a new set etc.

Hi, It seems to me the better brand files last the longest. I use a 80 Tammy Taylor purple terminator for shaping only. That file will last two weeks or more. I use the drill for my white rebalance and taking down length because its not used on the natrual part of the nail and fast. Course disposable barrels, 100ct for $17 there not exspensive at all. Then I use 180 to contour and 240 side with oil to buff. This procedure helps you not go through files that are exspensive very fast. The 180 purifiles will last me 4-5 people for contouring the nail. If the nail is thick from another shop then that number might be lower.

Strawberry

Im finding at the moment my files are lasting one rebalance only,
after that It seems to be smooth in places, Im using creatives hotshot, I used them before and no probs, have they changed the design or something, what am I doing wrong????

Im finding at the moment my files are lasting one rebalance only,
after that It seems to be smooth in places, Im using creatives hotshot, I used them before and no probs, have they changed the design or something, what am I doing wrong????

I am the same Nik, my hotshot isnt much use for anything after a rebalance. I used to get at least 2 out of them :rolleyes: and I am better at rebalances now so should have less filing.

Latest posts

Back