How many hairdressers have level 3

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choc choc

Reaction score
I have just completed my level 2 in hairdressing and was planning on using it mobile with my beauty. but I decided to go on and do my level 3 as I didn't feel that I had enough knowledge, but now I am wondering if I have done the right thing. the choices are
Do level 3 and spend another year struggling for money
or
Work on what I have already and get lots of practice and spend perhaps 1 day a week in a salon voluntry.
Just wondering how many of you have level 3 and any advice would be great.

i dont have lvl 3 but then i have 10 years salon exp , i had to retrain after i got my lvl 2 to get my speed and skils up.
If you dont do your lvl 3 (i guess you have to pay forit) then its important top keep your cpd up( continuious personal development) .
The FHBF (freelance hair and beauty federation) has a lot of differant courses going on and they also have regional groups which meet and train ( usually about £10-15 a meet and they get reps in ,or do a blowdrying masterclass etc.

it worth having, u learn more about colour corection etc which is very good to have knowledge in when u are mobile, u donthave colleagues to fll back on for advice when u are mobile. . . x

I am doing level 3 for colour correction..I do not feel at level 2 i could go out in the big bag world on my own...as yet but that is me personally...level 2 has given me a good foundation..level 3 for me i think will teach me to be able to deal with every client that walks through the door...from a cut to a full colour correction.

as scottydolly said... working mobile is hard if you aint clued up.... and i will tell you that working mobile you will come across loads of diy jobbies that need correcting!!!!!!
alot of people get a mobile hairdresser in coz a salon won't touch them lol
well worth getting lv 3. xx

Most salons look for a L3 as it shows commitment to training. I always recommend to my staff to qualify, have a years experience in the salon, then go back and do level 3. That way you reap the benefit of the course as you have some experience under your belt.
L3 is normally one evening a week so it's easy to work also. NVQ rules normally require you to be working in a salon to do this qualification too.
I don't personally think it's a good idea to go mobile so soon after qualifying as you would benefit more from a salon environment and be able to draw knowledge from more experienced stylists.

Thank you for all your reply's , yes that's what I was thinking I really need to do it, to me level 2 is not enough.

Thank you for all your reply's , yes that's what I was thinking I really need to do it, to me level 2 is not enough.

thats how i feel too :hug:

hey i wasnt suggesting not to do it , but i was concerned that some people may leave with a lvl 2 and set up mobile regardless which is concerning ( depending on how naturally talented they are)

Hi, yes I worked with level 2 for very many years doesn't really matter much if you are happy with it and do short courses to keep up to date ,

but ..... I wanted to do the business side of it and the Assesors units to enable me to train others
I found the colour correction in the level 3 very helpful
I also did a full college barber course , private hair extension courses , private colour and advanced cutting technique courses to improve my skills,
My opinion is that if you way up your strengths and weaknesses first, and find your weaknesses lie within the level three then go for it , other than that take short courses in whatever you think you need to gain more knowledge in....

I really liked the level 3 plus if you work in a salon it helps towards commanding a higher pay packet as salons and clients love to know that you are capable of everything
also its more important than ever now to keep up your yearly CPD
(continuing professional development )
to help keep you on top of new products methods and new techniques ,
you can never stop learning something new , always keep an open mind and learn everything you possibly can :hug: x minky

Thank you everyone. Well I am going to go for it, It will be worth it in the end :hug:

Latest posts

Back