How many people have a day job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Nic~

Reaction score
As I am just starting out I am having to keep my office job for the time being. How many other people do this and how do you find it?

I am thinking of being a mobile tech for a few years to build my clients, then have a home salon then eventually buy my salon.

Do any other Mobile tech's offer other treatments, such as facials, massage or do you just purely stick with Nails??

x

i started doing mobile in august to build up a client base and to get some experience but i do find it hard fitting many clients in around my day job. i work full-time in an office, i average about 45 hours per week in the office!
i only do nails and ear piercing at the moment (but the ear piercing isn't mobile), i would love to have my own home salon as it is time consuming driving between clients and lugging all my stuff about but everybodys got to start somewhere!

I work in London during the day full time, and i have a spare bedroom set up as a beauty room where i do treatments in the evenings and weekends. Works well as I don't have to worry about going anywhere and can get a cup of tea or some dinner inbetween clients!

Hi I work 3 full days as a PA and have a spare room set up. . .. I have just finished my training but at the moment doing models in the evening and weekends, seems to be ok at the moment.

Debs x

Hi I am the same, work full time in an office but after my training want to go mobile evening and weekends to build a client base. Phil x

Hi,

I work full time in the office as a PA too! I work 35 hours in the office which is 9-5 each day. I then work in my home salon Wed, Thurs, Friday nights from 6:30 pm until about 9pm and also Saturday mornings from 9:30 am until 12 noon.

It's good that I work from home and couldn't even imagine working mobile doing these sort of hours. As you will imagine I have no family, just the hubby and two dogs (which are very well behaved)!

Saying that I could be made redundant this week, so everyone keep your fingers crossed for me. But I won't worry though, I'll just go full-time in home salon if the worst happens.

HTH

I work full time in an office during the week, and then do web design and whatnot when I can fit it in during the evenings and at the weekend. I guess ultimately I'd like to be at a stage where I'm working from home and spending most of my time doing a mixture of web design, IT work and body painting and whatnot, but that probably won't be for years now given the size of our mortgage and credit card bills lol...

I still have my office job of 12 long years, which I still do 3 days a week.

On Thursday, Friday, Saturday I worked in a salon.

I'm just about to set up on my own again after gaining the very much needed experience in beauty treatments that I needed from the salon.

I've now got the balance of being confident with both nails and beauty.

My next step is to go mobile, then with the clientele I build up, rent a space somewhere!

hey hun, i dont work in an office but i have a part time job merchandising and look after my 20month little boy and do nails from home but soon getting my own treatment room for 2 days a week but i will still keeping on my other job for a garrenteed income. it can be tuff at times specially having a little boy but i have chile care sorted so it does make it easier.
hope it all works out for you and good luck xx
:hug:

hi
i am working part time in a salon doing what i love...and some evenings at home..its only part time at the moment since i just started my hair course...and i have 4 kids and thats a full time job then some...lol

HI

I work 19.5 hours a week elsewhere (usually sun, mon, tues) the rest of the week I am mobile doing tanning, kids parties, acrylic nails, manis, pedis, tan training etc! I enjoy the latter part of the week best!

My other job covers the mortgage and bills, leaves me free to enjoy doing treatments without having to worry about nasty bills!

Hello
I to do a few cleaning jobs to bring some cash in, but want to make my mobile business work.

Im just starting out but i'm finding it hard to find clients!!!!

I can have one week, 4 - 5 clients then the next week just one. I really don't know what to do, is it cause everyone is watching their pennies, or because i do not offer lots of treatments.
At the mo i offer manicures/pedicures (i'm mobile) also next week going to do a waxing, then hopefully a eye lash/brow tint & shape course.

I'm going to start doing some advertsing, school news letter, leaflet drops but not sure if this will drum up business. I've had people ask for price lists etc but no-one making appointments. I feel my prices are reasonable and even asked a few friends who are already in the business & they've agreed, so not sure what i'm doing wrong!!!

If anyone has any good suggestions for myself and others we would really apprecaite it
Many thanks
Ginger whinger xxx

Hi, i have a full time job in a hospital theatre (shiftwork) and fit in nails when i can either on days off or at weekends off as mobile x

I work in an office full time, and I plan to work out of my home in the evenings and on weekends. I've got a family, so I'm not sure how often I'll be able to do nails, maybe 3-4clients a week. I would love to quit my job and work out of my home, I sit at my desk and think about nails all day:) Right now, I'm just doing nails and gellie toes, but I plan on doing pedicures and massage as well.

My Gosh ladies I don't know how your are still up right and functioning.... you all must be so tired..

I work 3 days a week in the salon and are at home 4.... ( thur, fri, sat)... I am a full time mum the other days.. I don't know how you work full time and have the energy to put into treatments in the evenign and weekends.. well done to those who manage.. i know i would not be able to

X Mel

I work in the salon 3 days a week, 12 hour shifts, I do hair too and i also do some very limited mobile work for certain clients. I also work in the adult film industry but its definitely not a 9-5er so its pretty easy for me to juggle the two jobs. I could manage just working in the salon, but im hoping to open my own salon next year so im doing both to save more money:)

I work 3 days in an office and the other days im planning to do nails mobile, just have to build up enough clients! :):)

Hiya,

I work as a teaching assistant 9 - 12 mon to fri and see clients in my garden studio afternoons until my kids come home and then in the evening after we've all eaten and hubby is here to take over. It works well for me and the family. One day I hope to have enough clients to give up the morning job but I think that is a long way off for me yet.

Its lovely going to work in your home or back garden - I would recommend it!

Good luck,

Siana x

I work full time in an office during the day and do nails from my salon at home after hours. I have about 15 permanant nail clients and am currently in the works of going part time at my day job and working more from home..

That is exactly what i wanted when i started my salon, to change over slowly, because i didnt want to kiss goodbye my day jobs' guaranteed income altogether..

I would recommend doing this, and the busier you get with your nail clients, the less day job work you can do. You do run yourself a bit ragged in the process tho, i am always so tired, but the hard work pays off in the end, like being able to go part time soon.

Hope this helps.. x

I work full time in the school office and do the nails and tanning after work or at the weekends. At least working in a school I have the school holidays off to do a bit of extra work and change the hours lol.

Latest posts

Back