how many persons know and practice this

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariaaland

Reaction score
hi all, i am curious... how many of you know that you can use acrylic to apply tips. and if you do how many of you practice this method ,and do you feel it is much more sturdier than using nail glue.

for me, i use the acrylic method when my client has short nail beds and no freedege i incorporate it in the building of a prothesis. i also use it, if they have probems with their tips breaking off at the freedge. i find that it makes a stronger nail/tip base on which to put your product. my use of nail glue is optional as i always try to make sure that my tips are on firmly and acrylic achieves just that. I find that persons who have oily nailbeds and general lifting problems and sometimes depending on the type of tip i am using, nail glue will not be effective.

what is your take on this method:)

I am quiet new to nails .....very intresting to see how many geeks use this method:)

I have used this method but it's not something I do now. I did it on one client years ago who was allergic to adhesive. But now I would sculpt anyone who was allegic to it. I don't see how it woyld make a difference with peeps with oily nail plates, as the acrylic would lift.

i did this once on a repair,i had forgotten to take my glue,but the nail broke off the next day !!!! :eek:

I knew of it ... but I don't do it.

I have heard of this method but have never had any reason really to try it. I sculpt 99% of my clients so don't tip very often.

Good thread.

This method takes much longer than applying tips in the usual way with adhesive as well as the added risk of very painful breakages and sometimes tearing the natural nail right off the nail bed.

It is a method that if you know how to sculpt, you wouldn't to have to resort to using, but if you don't, it can be a reasonable alternative to use in some instances, particularly the very short bitten or cannibalised nail!!

gotta love that terminology " cannibalised nail " :)
I can't believe what a mess some people can make of their nails.

Hello,

Vicky Peters recommends to do that in ordere to apply tips on ski jump nails. It's easier and more reliable to put the tip at an angle.

I have done a similar thing as mentioned in another thread this week....
http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/38519-nailbiters-sculpt-pinching-c-curve-tammy-taylor-2.html

When I had a client with a severley - to use Gigi terminology - 'cannibalised nail' I applied acrylic the the remaining nailbed and sunk a tip in, let it set and applied my acrylic as normal, having buffed over the tip & acrylic nail bed to even and remove shine.

It's not what i would do always, i feel there'd be an over exposure risk if it was done regularly

Bev Rose said:
I have done a similar thing as mentioned in another thread this week....
http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/38519-nailbiters-sculpt-pinching-c-curve-tammy-taylor-2.html

When I had a client with a severley - to use Gigi terminology - 'cannibalised nail' I applied acrylic the the remaining nailbed and sunk a tip in, let it set and applied my acrylic as normal, having buffed over the tip & acrylic nail bed to even and remove shine.

It's not what i would do always, i feel there'd be an over exposure risk if it was done regularly
when you say you use acrylic to put on tips do you put a bit in the well like you would use gel bond or do you put a blob on the whole nail to make a sort or ledge and stick the tip into that so you can build on that.Hope you understand wot i am trying to say.I know when someone has really short or bitten nails you can make a ledge to put the tip, on to is that what you use this for.

Over-exposure is a terminology over-exposed and over exaggerated in here, one minute it's OK, the next its not, i would like a definition of over exposure.
seems it's OK to build a free edge, which is acrylic on skin (hence liquid on skin) bad, bad ,bad, yet it's OK ...... sometimes, what the ? It either is or isn't, and that goes for custom blending etc. Seems if you sculpt there are no rules. I understand the over-use of liquid touching skin, but i dont understand one sin being lesser than another. Again, with most products being made of the same chemicals, why is it ok for some, but not the others?
The miracle of creating a free edge, by any products, any company seems to overrule the over-exposure rule created by many....actually,i'm almost over the word "over" it seems to be used "overtly" when it suits anyone according to miracle factor to create a nail. It's either right or wrong? But then again it depends on who you believe.

nailzoo said:
Over-exposure is a terminology over-exposed and over exaggerated in here, one minute it's OK, the next its not, i would like a definition of over exposure.
seems it's OK to build a free edge, which is acrylic on skin (hence liquid on skin) bad, bad ,bad, yet it's OK ...... sometimes, what the ? It either is or isn't, and that goes for custom blending etc. Seems if you sculpt there are no rules. I understand the over-use of liquid touching skin, but i dont understand one sin being lesser than another. Again, with most products being made of the same chemicals, why is it ok for some, but not the others?
The miracle of creating a free edge, by any products, any company seems to overrule the over-exposure rule created by many....actually,i'm almost over the word "over" it seems to be used "overtly" when it suits anyone according to miracle factor to create a nail. It's either right or wrong? But then again it depends on who you believe.

This is a good question and I agree, if there is a safer method that does not expose the skin to unreacted monomer then I would go for that e.g. apply a tip as normal with adhesive and then custom blend a powder that makes the nail bed look longer and forget applying tips with unreacted monomer to the skin and nail plate. Basically it is wrong when There are safer ways, and custom blending is one of them.

I suppose what I am saying is that ONCE is probably not a hazard but if you do it repeatedly then it is. Repeated exposure to chemicals that are not meant for the skin can lead to overexposure. IOW you are taking a risk when you do not need to if you apply tips using liquid & powder.

There are safer methods out there ... so use them.

:hug:
ariaaland said:
hi all, i am curious... how many of you know that you can use acrylic to apply tips. and if you do how many of you practice this method ,and do you feel it is much more sturdier than using nail glue.

for me, i use the acrylic method when my client has short nail beds and no freedege i incorporate it in the building of a prothesis. i also use it, if they have probems with their tips breaking off at the freedge. i find that it makes a stronger nail/tip base on which to put your product. my use of nail glue is optional as i always try to make sure that my tips are on firmly and acrylic achieves just that. I find that persons who have oily nailbeds and general lifting problems and sometimes depending on the type of tip i am using, nail glue will not be effective.

what is your take on this method:)

Can you tell me step by step how to create a prosthesis for a nail bitten nail?
xxxxxxxxxxxxx:green:

Latest posts

Back