How much did you spend on your kid for Christmas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't want to upset people on here. all I was saying in my thread is to me £1000 is a lot of money to me. I don't even earn that in a month. In fact £1000 is like a months mortgage,gas and electric,council tax,food and cleaning products.petrol, Maybe more but to spend that on a little lad is a lot of money in fact it is stupid sorry but that's how I see it. Some people might disagree but even rich people are struggling these days

It's the chavs who mostly spend like that. They feel like they need to prove something to everyone else. They're the ones constantly boasting on Facebook. My Facebook became so chavvy I just had to close it down. (Is chav still a word?)

It's the chavs who mostly spend like that. They feel like they need to prove something to everyone else. They're the ones constantly boasting on Facebook. My Facebook became so chavvy I just had to close it down. (Is chav still a word?)

Yep x

I didn't want to upset people on here. all I was saying in my thread is to me £1000 is a lot of money to me. I don't even earn that in a month. In fact £1000 is like a months mortgage,gas and electric,council tax,food and cleaning products.petrol, Maybe more but to spend that on a little lad is a lot of money in fact it is stupid sorry but that's how I see it. Some people might disagree but even rich people are struggling these days

Would you still feel the same if you were earning 10k a month? You probably wouldn't blink an eyelid at a thousand pounds worth of presents. . Rich people's struggle probably mean cutting one of their seven holidays out! ...:)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

That is the point I was making. Most people I know who work are struggling this year. The only ones I see boasting are those on long term benefits.
Now I am not a benefits hater. For a time I was on them myself. But they are there to help you back on your feet. There is no way on this planet that you should have enough to spend on £1000s at xmas. Even if its on credit it means that she is actually spending 10000s more of my tax money on the interest long term.
It really gets my hackles up.. in fact I am away to delete her from FB lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Why let her annoy you! Surely it's much better to have your pride! We can't change some people!

This thread has stirred up a lot of mixed emotions for me. I easily spend about £500+ on my son. I'd spend more if there was something he specifically asked for (he doesn't ask though). My issue is that he is an only child and I overcompensate because I can't give him what he's always wanted - a sibling. We also live away from family so it's just the three of us on Christmas Day. I hope I've not spoilt him but I want him to have a magical day. He went out of his way to buy me a present for my birthday - we only found out later that he went without lunch at school to afford it so I feel that he mustn't be too spoilt.

Hi H.... anyone opening their houses for the homeless this Christmas?

Mine is open for all the OAP's this year, so why not the homeless too :lol:

Would you still feel the same if you were earning 10k a month? You probably wouldn't blink an eyelid at a thousand pounds worth of presents. . Rich people's struggle probably mean cutting one of their seven holidays out! ...:)

Question is would you? I would not thats the truth

I would like to think I wouldn't spend lavishly if I was richer. The shops have a field day each Christmas, I mean, John Lewis spent literally millions on a cartoon advert just designed to haul us through the doors-and clearly it's worth it for them to do so!!! I'm not buying into this nonsense!!! Even if I was a millionaire I wouldn't buy everything in sight just because it was Xmas!

Yes I agree that it seems the lower income, and some may say benefit scrounging people who are he ones who will spend the most at Christmas! I'm not against benefits, I was on them myself for a while and I still made sure my kids got presents but come on...... When I worked in social services one thing most of the clients had in common was they owned a giant 70 zillion-inch widescreen tv which was affixed to the wall in the front room. Usually from bright house or such like! No food in the cupboard or nappies for the baby mind you, but still there's always Jeremy Kyle showing on the bloody huge TV......

Interesting thread! I always keep track of my Xmas spending and this year I've spent £300 each on them. ( I have two). About £100 each more than normal as a) we had a good year financially and b) I bought my daughter an iPod touch which was expensive at £200 so bought my son a present of equal value. However I hate buying them tat ... Presents they play with for five minutes and then forget. The rest of their presents are mainly useful, educational or clothes that I would have to buy them anyway. I would never go into debt for Xmas and I often shop in January sales for presents for following year especially kids presents/stocking fillers etc. unlike many of our friends we don't ever buy them presents because we are having a day out or end of the week etc they only receive birthday and Xmas presents which I think makes it more special and exciting.

My brother in Australia has informed me that my children have too much and has given the money he was going to spend on them to Africa. I received an envelope today with 4 paper baubles and a Christmas card and a leaflet about the charity he has given the money to.

My children have no other family as it is. A packet of stickers would have been enough so they know he's thinking of them. Oh, and he's not short a bob or two. He will be drinking Champagne on Christmas Day and stuffing his face, the hypocrite!!

My girls are going to be wondering where their present from their uncle is and when I tell them he didn't send one, what are they going to think? That he doesn't give a sh!t, basically. They'll think they've done something wrong. How sad. Perhaps I'll tell them he's dead.

This reminds me if my ex sister in law I always bought for her, my brother and my nephew . One year she didn't buy me anything as she decided to spend the money in a charity donation and I had bought books for Africa ! I don't have an issue with the charity thing if agreed we could have both done it but a) she gets a present from me b) I would like to choose how I donate my money and c) she gets to feel good about donating money ! Anyway she in now an ex sister in law and my brothers new partner didn't get anything it just gets silly !

Question is would you? I would not thats the truth

Ok. To say to you £10k a month is nothing out of the ordinary, pocket change so to speak ... how do you take me saying this? 'She's lying' Or ...'yeah she's rubbing it in our face' or 'she works hard' 'good for her' .. or 'Bitch' ...

It's the same as saying if I had two hundred million I'd still paint nails. ..

..... probably paint in gold leaf with diamond encrusted tips.... eh. :) ha ha

I don't get anyone that says if I was rich I'd still work, still drive my KA and keep my children from having nice things. . What a waste!

I have a very privileged lifestyle but it wasn't always like that. I remain very grounded as do my children, because I'm very aware that anything could change at any time! I never take anything for granted!

My 15 year old had a new phone and a new Xbox In the summer because his broke and couldn't wait til now to get a new one so he's not expecting much for Xmas. I've got him a £20 watch from Argos, which I know he likes. My 22 year is getting a remote controlled helicopter, something he said he wanted ages ago. Also silly but useful bits in thier stockings.

The study and bedroom will be fitted out early in January, so it's going to be mayhem clearing rooms over the holiday.

I have a very privileged life but it wasn't always like that. I remain very grounded as do my children, because I'm very aware that anything could change at any time!

But in the meantime. ....I love material things. .LOVE THEM. ....I am shallow. ..lol

I've spent about £250 on each of mine (I have 2, a 4yo & 2yo)
Although I did get some stuff 2nd hand like my sons ipad which i got at a bargain price of £70!
Some of that also went on clothes/pjs that I'm putting in with their presents. :)

Christmas is focused around family so I read ... So what happens when you don't have any?

Be grateful you haven't got any !

Ha ha ha... love your humour Winnie!

Then you can buy yourself a fat ass tv and get drunk on vintage wine before completing Candy Crush on your new IPad and Fifa on your playstation 4 ;)

Then you can buy yourself a fat ass tv and get drunk on vintage wine before completing Candy Crush on your new IPad and Fifa on your playstation 4 ;)

Too Damn right.. lol

It is all so commercialized, and it's not even a religious festival strictly, as we don't know when Jesus was actually born, the Christians nicked it from the pagans, it's a pagan festival strictly christians thought they would use it to celebrate the birth of jesus.. so what's it all about ?? It's just to symbolize present exchanging as the 3 wise men did. That's all.

Eerr I've not been on holiday since I got married..and I have been divorced 11 years lol

She has 9 kids and doesnt work. Her three youngest are getting ipads for xmas! What 3year old needs an ipad? And why would 6 people in one household need ipads? And why is it that the majority of my Facebook freinds boasting about spending loads are the ones who claim benifits?
Does that not annoy you in the slightest??

Sorry my mistake. Your previous post said you'd buy nicer holidays, so I read it that you're having nice holidays at the moment if that makes sense.

That's a lot of ipads in one house and def not something I could afford. My husband has one which I rarely use but I can see the benefit for kids. My daughters school uses them in lessons and she's 4. Far cry from my school days for sure.

The issue of how much people spend genuinely does not bother me. I had a privileged upbringing but wasn't spoilt and was taught the value of money. I now am at the other end of the spectrum. I work as does my husband and we are counting every penny. We can't afford to go out or buy new clothes each month so we don't. My neighbours don't work, young couple with 3 kids and have all the latest gadgets etc. I'm pretty sure he's selling something dodgy but that's another story. They're on benefits and can seemingly afford a designer lifestyle. It bothers me from time to time but it's not something I sit thinking about. Their life is not my life and I can't change the benefits system. That's a whole other thread.

Latest posts

Back