How much did you spend on your kid for Christmas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea how much I've spent on each child so far (got 4 kids) but I try to get them what they have asked for on their list to santa.
My house is like a toy shop on Christmas day & there is barely room to move or space to sit down.
Yes I try to spoil my kids at Christmas - it is the only time of year I do. They get a maximum of £50 each for birthdays (Feb, March, April & May) and we have gone without a family holiday for the last 2 years as we can't afford to have a holiday.

I could easily spend £1000 on the 4 of them and if I had more money I'd spend more money on them. They are my world & I want them to have a fantastic time but they also understand that they can't all have laptops & phones & Ipads as there just isn't enough money for them to all have those things. So although I will try to get them what they have asked for they wouldn't dream of complaining if they didn't get any of it, they would be happy to get something new and have a great time together.

I hope EVERYONE has a fab Christmas & new year, money isn't everything & although it definatley helps, it can't fix everything.

My sister was selling all her happyland so we've spent £100 on that but we will be splitting the toys and giving her half for Christmas and half for her birthday. Then we've bought her some books and little peppa pig toys. We're going to get her a few more little stocking fillers but as others have said its all about having time as a family. I wouldn't care if I got nothing as long as my little girl is happy and healthy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I spent £300 on each of my 3 kids.

£100 more than usual as we got them an ipad mini each.

They hardly get anything all year, apart from the odd pound to spend in the pound shop.

If I could spend more and they wanted more, I'd buy it.

Xmas and birthdays are special days and they deserve it. My children are the least spoilt kids j have ever met. They appreciate everything and its a joy to see their little faces light up when they see all the presents under the tree.

Jemima :)

I think my son summed it up. His (well off) mate was round ours reeling off what he's asked for/getting for Xmas (Xbox one, iPad air, expensive trainers etc etc) and he was really shocked when my son just said he'd just asked for a surprise. When his mate went home I asked my son what he thought about his mate asking for all those expensive things and my son said, "well mum, I've got something he will never, ever have - a sister, so I'm actually luckier than him!" (His mate is an only child who's mum doesn't want anymore kids). That really put things into perspective and made me smile :)

I think my son summed it up. His (well off) mate was round ours reeling off what he's asked for/getting for Xmas (Xbox one, iPad air, expensive trainers etc etc) and he was really shocked when my son just said he'd just asked for a surprise. When his mate went home I asked my son what he thought about his mate asking for all those expensive things and my son said, "well mum, I've got something he will never, ever have - a sister, so I'm actually luckier than him!" (His mate is an only child who's mum doesn't want anymore kids). That really put things into perspective and made me smile :)

I really love this, I wish some of my kids friends were like that, my 15 year old daughter ( who lives with my mum ) has only asked for 1 thing and that is to spend Xmas with me and her brothers and sister, her friends are taking the mick as they are getting all the expensive stuff but she told them that it is family that matters and not "stuff" as she put it, she really bought a tear to my eye, I'm glad someone else's kids think the same as I feel it is all about what they get these days and not who they spent Xmas with

I have 4 children and i spend £200 on them each, I also make them chose what they want - they are all teens so I hope that in doing this, they learn some value of money and they also only ask for what they really want.

I do not buy them anything else throughout the year so Christmas is their time to ask for big things.

This is the first year I won't be spending Christmas day with the majority of my lil family unit, my older kids are parents and they are - rightly so - spending Christmas day with their own little units, my eldest pointed out that this will be the first year she won't open a stocking of daft stuff on the end of her bed... Little does she know that when they ALL descend on me for boxing day celebrations, food and children pressie sharing that they will have the silly penny nick nacks still :) I love stocking fillers he he.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

So if you had endless amounts of money, you wouldn't treat your children more? I think most people would, it's only natural that if you have the money, you generally go for better quality items. And for those that don't earn the money but choose credit, surely that's their choice? Of course children will want things that others have, that's human nature. We as adults do it. We can't all have everything. Unfortunately there's no solution, people will buy what they want to, it's up to us to deal with the questioning from the kids as to why they haven't got xyz.
On the note of the party, am interested as to what sort of party it was? I could understand if it was something like a disco where you hire a hall for a set price (although I wouldn't fancy making sandwiches for 60!) Birthday parties definitely seem to have changed since I was a kid, around here you can do swimming, soft play, football, horse riding, climbing parties etc. Guess that's the same anywhere?

A party at the soft play center. £15 per child. Its probably worth noting that the mum has 9 kids and doesn't work.
Could YOU afford this?

And no, they would probably get nicer holidays and if they really needed a laptop for school then I would buy one.

I am actually what you could call ok financially but still dont think its right tp spend £1000s on children at Christmas. Especially not when there are 1000s of children in the world who havr nothing.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

A party at the soft play center. £15 per child. Its probably worth noting that the mum has 9 kids and doesn't work.
Could YOU afford this?

And no, they would probably get nicer holidays and if they really needed a laptop for school then I would buy one.

I am actually what you could call ok financially but still dont think its right tp spend £1000s on children at Christmas. Especially not when there are 1000s of children in the world who havr nothing.

So because there are children with nothing, parents are made to feel guilty for spoiling there kids at christmas.

There are starving children all over the world, people go out for dinner and buy expensive food. I'm sure you don't eat rice for every meal because it's not right for children to be starving. That's ridiculous.

I do spend £450 on my children at Xmas because I can. I can afford to "lavish" them with gifts for one special day a year, their dad and I work our butts off so we can afford the nice things and luxuries and these will be passed on to my children.

I wont be made to feel guilty because others choose to spend £50-100 on their children, that's their budget. I don't judge those people. Yes it's not about the gifts on Xmas day but it's for one day of the year. They don't get xbox or wii games every month. They don't get brought tablets every month.

My children are not spoilt. Far from it but they do have the nice things. They are polite and well mannered and are grateful for the things they have regardless of how much they cost or how much has been spent.
They are only children once.

Oh and I'm one of those parents who invite the whole class to a party so no child is left out. My children also wrote cards from nursery from a young age as they were able to.

When my eldest daughter was in year 2 a girl in her class had a party and invited the whole class except for my daughter and another little boy. There was no issue with this girl, it just so happened that it was the girl who had to remember the names of her class mates and accidentally left 2 out. My daughter was heartbroken for weeks. Either invite the whole class, a chosen few (less than half) or don't have a party at all.

When I've done the budget party by hiring a hall for £30 and made my own sandwiches I've invited the whole class. When its an expensive party where it's £15 per head it's a maximum of 6. I try to budget £100 for the girl's parties.

Sorry, a bit off topic but related to the above post.

So because there are children with nothing, parents are made to feel guilty for spoiling there kids at christmas.

There are starving children all over the world, people go out for dinner and buy expensive food. I'm sure you don't eat rice for every meal because it's not right for children to be starving. That's ridiculous.

I do spend £450 on my children at Xmas because I can. I can afford to "lavish" them with gifts for one special day a year, their dad and I work our butts off so we can afford the nice things and luxuries and these will be passed on to my children.

I wont be made to feel guilty because others choose to spend £50-100 on their children, that's their budget. I don't judge those people. Yes it's not about the gifts on Xmas day but it's for one day of the year. They don't get xbox or wii games every month. They don't get brought tablets every month.

My children are not spoilt. Far from it but they do have the nice things. They are polite and well mannered and are grateful for the things they have regardless of how much they cost or how much has been spent.
They are only children once.

Oh and I'm one of those parents who invite the whole class to a party so no child is left out. My children also wrote cards from nursery from a young age as they were able to.

My brother in Australia has informed me that my children have too much and has given the money he was going to spend on them to Africa. I received an envelope today with 4 paper baubles and a Christmas card and a leaflet about the charity he has given the money to.

My children have no other family as it is. A packet of stickers would have been enough so they know he's thinking of them. Oh, and he's not short a bob or two. He will be drinking Champagne on Christmas Day and stuffing his face, the hypocrite!!

My girls are going to be wondering where their present from their uncle is and when I tell them he didn't send one, what are they going to think? That he doesn't give a sh!t, basically. They'll think they've done something wrong. How sad. Perhaps I'll tell them he's dead.

Last edited:
I think the reason the thread was started was that the OP overheard an argument between a child and mum, both of whom seemed to think that spending money represented the value of Christmas.

We will all different views on how we spend our money, and how much we can afford; in my opinion it's the ingratitude and lack of joy that is so sad for families like the one overheard.

Could YOU afford this?

No I couldn't afford that much BUT I still don't understand why you or anyone cares. I also don't see why you feel it's worth mentioning that she has 9 kids and doesn't work? Her business and finances, noone elses. Maybe she invited everyone so noone was left out.

Nicer holidays? That insinuates that you already have holidays and would perhaps upgrade if money was available. Well, we don't have holidays but choose to spend a bit more at Christmas and birthdays. Sounds like you do the opposite: have holidays and spend a bit less at Christmas.

I guess my point is, we all have luxuries on some level. Yes there are starving people in the world but those who choose to spend more at Christmas shouldn't be made to feel bad. Do you feel guilty for having your holidays? Probably not as you've worked hard to be able to do that. I don't think I've ever heard someone being bersted for hsbing a break away yet people think it's ok to judge someone for spending £xx on their kids at Christmas.
By the way, £15 per child for soft play party? Ludicrous. It only costs a fiver here for a session and the food isn't a tenners worth. They certainly know how to make their money at these places don't they!

I'm not sure what the difference makes, you either have money. . or you don't.

You generally find the majority that don't have money will always be the first to say ' money doesn't buy happiness' ' your kids are spoilt' ' it's alright for them. .they can afford it'. They have little to compare it to in all honesty. It purely boils down to jealousy in most cases. It's only the naughts at the end of the figures that change.

You either by a plastic ipad for £8, a second hand ipad for £80 an all singing and dancing one for £800 or a gold plated one for £8000 It's all relevant. Does any parent really want to hear about their children's friends Christmas presents and most of their class mates having the newest xbox, brand new £100 trainers, best phones, laptops etc whilst their children go to school in BHS trainers. ..for those parents that say they don't care. ..I don't believe it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I personally think we should be spending time with children, not money on them. I think that whether you spend a little or a lot, as long as your child 1. Knows the value of money and 2. Knows the value of a family and being loved then they are doing well.

It's very noveau riche being flash about Xmas presses. Look at royal family one small jokey present each, Christmas Eve at Sandringham and they're loaded! I think parent's should not feel pressurised at Xmas to buy loads when it's reduced soon after. I do spend a lot on my son throughout the year but its on tuition, lesson for swimming, drama, judo and that's where my priorities lie not bits of plastics that just gather dust. Don't get sucked in to it!

My kids all got a big thing, a small thing and a surprise and the obligatory new knickers, socks and pj's.

I agree once you have fun together and don't get into debt over it then that's the main thing.

Btw there's no telly allowed on in our house after the dinner, we spend the evening playing cards, gin rummy, snap, 21 etc..great fun.

Christmas is focused around family so I read ... So what happens when you don't have any?

But some 4 year olds can read & write. My son who is 4 & a half wrote the name of whoever it was to & then wrote his name on the bottom. Why shouldn't they send cards just because they're 4 & aren't as strong as reading & writing as older kids? If anything else it could be used as encouragement

I see what you're saying and yes it is encouraging. I just feel it's a bit young since they can't do it themselves and I feel that it should be personal, not an expected thing that has to be done, that's all :) x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Christmas is focused around family so I read ... So what happens when you don't have any?

Family doesn't have to be blood relatives, it can be friends? If you don't song have any of those either then life would be very sad :-(

Latest posts

Back