How much is Shellac affected by non acetone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyfeet

Reaction score
hi geeks

i have had a call from a friend of mine who can't have colour for work but would love shellac. I am happy to offer her a clearly pink shellac but she was saying that a the beginning of December she has a few parties to go to and has a different colour outfit for each. After reading through the threads about shellac being applied then polish and lumos going over the top, as an option for those who can't have colour for work, I'm wondering how often my friend could change her polish. Obviously to remove the polish you would need non acetone remover, but I'm just wondering how often she could change her colour before there was a break down of the shellac, if at all.

I would test this on myself but I've only recently shellaced my own nails, so wondered if anyone had chopped and changed their polish a number of times in the two week period.

Thanks in advance.

Love n hugs x x x

It all depends on how much she soaks her nails with the remover when removing the polish.

Just because something is non-acetone does not mean it is still not a powerful solvent. To be honest, the non-acetone thing is a bit of a myth.

It is perfectly OK to use Acetone on most enhancement products for polish removal without it affecting the enhancement or the gel adversely; how much a product is affected by a solvent depends on the TIME the enhancement is exposed to the acetone or the MEK (solvents).

Frankly, if the client is sensible choosing her colour, it should not be necessary to change her polish colour that often ... I wear Shellac for 2-3 weeks with the same colour on no matter what clothes I am wearing .. bit silly to feel she has to change colour with every dress change!! lol

I have a client who loves to have Clear Shellac on her nails, so I do them with Clearly pink and she paints them herself at the Weekend and then removes the polish with non acetone remover when she returns to work.

She usually returns to have them re done after about three weeks and the Shellac is always intact with no problems or signs that the non acetone has affected the it.

I wouldn't recommend anyone change Shellac more than once a week... although, I've never had anyone doing this, so I don't know what would happen really! :)

HTHs

Thanks for reply geeg.

I said as much to her but no she wants different colour for each outfit.

X x x

bit silly to feel she has to change colour with every dress change!! lol

Each to their own :)
One of my shellac clients always has hot pop pink, but sometimes it clashes with what she's wearing and so changes to whatever polish she wants and then removes with non-acetone remover and all is fine.
As said, as long as she doesnt expose her nails to masses of product it should not affect the sustainability of her shellac.
Such a great product that we can inter-change at the drop of a hat, but still return to the colour we love the most at the wipe of a pad! :)
x

sorry angel missed your post. Thanks hun good to know. x x x

thank you miss pink you're right allows for change but still remain wearing your shellac. X x x

I do this on my own nails quite a bit, often wearing a Shellac colour for a week and then covering it with a regular polish for for the next week. It works great because the Shellac manicure really holds the regular polish and it often lasts without chips for well over a week. While I think that daily changes is too much, I think you could do it a few times with no ill effect. I think the key to doing this well is in not doing too many thick layers of regular polish - 2 thin coats of colour and a top coat max. Too many layers means you really have to soak the cotton ball with remover and hold it on there, rather than a quick swipe. Soaking your Shellac in any solvent for long (or too often) will lead to breakdown.

hi geeks

i have had a call from a friend of mine who can't have colour for work but would love shellac. I am happy to offer her a clearly pink shellac but she was saying that a the beginning of December she has a few parties to go to and has a different colour outfit for each. After reading through the threads about shellac being applied then polish and lumos going over the top, as an option for those who can't have colour for work, I'm wondering how often my friend could change her polish. Obviously to remove the polish you would need non acetone remover, but I'm just wondering how often she could change her colour before there was a break down of the shellac, if at all.

I would test this on myself but I've only recently shellaced my own nails, so wondered if anyone had chopped and changed their polish a number of times in the two week period.

Thanks in advance.

Love n hugs x x x

Thanks so much for info hun, really appreciate it. xxxx

Latest posts

Back