How to blend an acylic nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peachy-manda

Reaction score
Ive just started learning how to do acrylics with white tips.I dont have a nail drill so which is the best method to remove any not so smooth areas without scratching the nail?
Also, is it better to use one bead of pink or two?

amanda x

You should not be using a nail drill without first been trained how to use anyway so the fact that you don't have one is a relief,
you use different grit nail files, going down in the grades to get the smoothness,

there is no right or wrong when it comes to beads and lots of companies teach this differently,
where and who are you training with ?

Can you tell us what kind of nail training you've allready had, this will make it easier for anybody to help you.
:hug:

lol i only mentioned nail drill coz thats all they use on youtube! ive done two years manicure and im learning with calgel but course hasnt started yet so practising on a fake hand at work just now

Lol don't take any notice of what you see on YouTube until after you have been trained,
then you will be able to tell the difference between the real trained techs and the have a go heroes :lol:

to be honest your enthusiasm is great but you will just get yourself into bad habits by watching things like that and then having a go by yourself,
you are best to wait and do your training first hunny :hug:

lol.yeh ive kinda noticed they are all doing diff things.it gets abit confusing.thanks

That's the thing, they are not teaching you the right things,

anyway order some sunshine in Perth for the back end of June for me because i am going to be up in your area then :hug:

I agree with everyone here but I will offer you some feedback on your question from my experience.

I never ever use a nail drill to blend tips to the natural nail. There is too much risk of catching the real nail (even professionals with years of experience can make mistakes!).
I always use a manual file. Usually a boomerang file. Medium 100/180. Nice and used so it's soft on the nail. I use a tip blender fluid which blends the tips quicker and decreases the trauma to the natural nail. Then I get filing. Takes no time at all with a tip blender.

Hope this helps.

Also I strongly suggest you do not do anything with an electric nail file till you have been trained!

I agree with everyone here but I will offer you some feedback on your question from my experience.

I always use a manual file. Usually a boomerang file. Medium 100/180. Nice and used so it's soft on the nail. I use a tip blender fluid which blends the tips quicker and decreases the trauma to the natural nail. Then I get filing. Takes no time at all with a tip blender.

Hope this helps.

Also I strongly suggest you do not do anything with an electric nail file till you have been trained!

IMO good filing techniques for blending a tip is very quick with no trauma to the natural nail.

I never ever use a nail drill to blend tips to the natural nail. There is too much risk of catching the real nail (even professionals with years of experience can make mistakes!).

Hope this helps.

There is actually more chance of causing trauma to the natural nail when using tip blender (as the file tends to go thru the tip) than if you just learn good safe filing techniques and use good quality fast blending tips (and yes this sort of tip is a little more expensive but well worth it in terms of time and effort).

Using Tip blenders also can lead to yellowing and product breakdown and even pocket lifting later on down the line. I actually do not know personally one professional who uses trip blender and we do not recommend it's use here on salon geek.

If you are going to do Calgel you need to wait to get the proper training they will teach you to put gel down first and then tip so you safely blend without any risk of filing the natural nail although with a good filing technique and files you wont do this anyway.Sculpting is best for Calgel and i suggest you really try to master it straight away.So pay attention in training :) Calgels application is nothing like l &p acrylic.
Calgel is not at all a good gel to use over white tips ,they will not last long.Hard gels are better over white tips although it can chip off as it doesn't cure as well as over natural tips ,but acrylic is best.

There is actually more chance of causing trauma to the natural nail when using tip blender (as the file tends to go thru the tip) than if you just learn good safe filing techniques and use good quality fast blending tips (and yes this sort of tip is a little more expensive but well worth it in terms of time and effort).

Using Tip blenders also can lead to yellowing and product breakdown and even pocket lifting later on down the line. I actually do not know personally one professional who uses trip blender and we do not recommend it's use here on salon geek.

That's odd. I've never had a problem with them in my life. I do file safetly, and I have started buying good quick blending tips so I haven't used to tip blender at all recently but I used to use it a lot and I never had a problem.

i thought the post was about smoothing the nail after product application?

have i got the wrong end of the stick ?:confused:

By jingo! now I have reread it I think you are right lol!!!!

So why not answer the question for the poster then? Instead of just moaning about the thread going off topic?

When someone gives wrong or bad information, I respond to it whether it is on or off topic as I am always concerned that newbies will become confused or led into bad habits.

To answer the first post.

I would say that there is no best (one bead or two). Two beads give you more control with less product, so CND teach you to initially use two beads of pink and one of white. Later when you understand more about form and structure and you have more skill, you can move onto one bead of white and one of pink if that is your desire.

As for Finishing the nail .. and removing rough or uneven areas, of course you are going to initially scratch the surface of the product. You start by using a 180 grit file to get your shape even, and then go over with a smother abrasive like a 240 grit and then finer still until the nail shines like glass.

Why not look at the tutorials here on the site that describe how to do perfect finishing? You'll find them in the forums section under tutorials or you could purchase a copy of 'nailclass' from Sweet Squared 08452106060 which will guide you through many efficient techniques for doing beautiful nails.

Last edited:
When smoothing L&P in zone 3 I am sooo nervous of scratching the natural nail but when I blend to get really flush I cant see a way of not slightly scratching the nail, is it just practice ?

I have been using soak off gel for a long long time so there isnt much blending to do after application, am only just getting back into L&P so am booked for a conversion but have practiced on myself, I have just soaked off and my god what a mess I have made of my nails, they are like paper normally now they're like tracing paper with dents on them from over filing!!!

When smoothing L&P in zone 3 I am sooo nervous of scratching the natural nail but when I blend to get really flush I cant see a way of not slightly scratching the nail, is it just practice ?

I have been using soak off gel for a long long time so there isnt much blending to do after application, am only just getting back into L&P so am booked for a conversion but have practiced on myself, I have just soaked off and my god what a mess I have made of my nails, they are like paper normally now they're like tracing paper with dents on them from over filing!!!

Yes practice, make sure you angle the brush almost 45 degrees when applying zone 3 so you already have a thin and tapered to the cuticle line zone 3 application. When filing, concentrate on your file placement (really look at what you are doing - not trying to be sarcastic here) make sure you line up the edge of the file with the edge of the enhancement and do not go beyond.

I wish id never posted that question, the replies ended up off track. i never intend on using a drill.thanks for the positive replies that answered my question

Yes practice, make sure you angle the brush almost 45 degrees when applying zone 3 so you already have a thin and tapered to the cuticle line zone 3 application. When filing, concentrate on your file placement (really look at what you are doing - not trying to be sarcastic here) make sure you line up the edge of the file with the edge of the enhancement and do not go beyond.

Thank you for your reply.
If the cuticle area is already thin and flush with the natural nail is there still a definite need to still blend with a 180 and a 240 grit to stop any lifting or could I just give a light swipe with a block ?

Last edited:
I wish id never posted that question, the replies ended up off track. i never intend on using a drill.thanks for the positive replies that answered my question

Sorry if my reply was off track but i couldn't understand why you are practising l&p when you are going to be learning Calgel.They are not in anyway similar in application or finishing that is what i was trying to put across.

Latest posts

Back