How to do polka dots?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppertop

Reaction score
Can anybody explain to me how to get the polka dot look using L&P please :green:
I love the look but wouldn't know where to start :hug:

An easy way to do it is....
firstly get a cocktail stick and file it so it is no longer sharp but has a flat round end, put this to one side,
do the free edge in your choice of colour then use the cocktail stick to make indentations into the product on the free edge before your product sets,
when you have done all the little indentations and your product has set use a different colour to do the dots, press your product into the dents,
don't worry (too much) about getting this second colour all over your free edge, when you file to refine it will remove the colour from where it shouldn't be and will leave it there in the indentations,
hope that makes sense :hug:

Last edited:
Thanks hun, will be giving the a go :hug:

cool, i want to see pics :lol:

You sure? :lol::lol::lol:

yes, i bet you do really well :hug:

The way I do it is by applying the polka dots first by placing small beads on th tip but making sure they are high enough so when you file down you dont loose the dots and then I put my main colour over them. I have tried it the other way and found this way works best for me.

I have a photo if anyone would like to see it.

I read on another site that someone used a paper clip. They unwound the paper clip and used the end of it. :green:

please post some photo's i have never heard of this type of art... wow they sounds great.. as i keep saying i have been working 12 months and all i do is blody white tips... god give me some funky clients..
LOL
X Mel

I read on another site that someone used a paper clip. They unwound the paper clip and used the end of it. :green:

That's either Jacqui Jefford or Denise Wright on the Design Times DVD. Worth investing in a copy for some great ideas! :lol:

Young nails do the paper clip design but they dont unroll the paper clip they do the curve design and then fill in the indentations with a different colour, i think this look fab.

:hug:

Here's one I did a while ago http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=5649

I applied very small beads of the black and grey, let them settle and then flattened them slightly into round dots. Then I covered the whole nails in CND Glimmer, which is slightly glittery, to get my shape.....

hth's

^^ That's how I do them too! Apply dots, apply the colour, then file to reveal the polka dots. Try them on clear tips, you can see the polka dots on the underside, it's so cool!

The way I do it is by applying the polka dots first by placing small beads on th tip but making sure they are high enough so when you file down you dont loose the dots and then I put my main colour over them. I have tried it the other way and found this way works best for me.

I have a photo if anyone would like to see it.
I'd love to see you photo hun :green:

Here are a couple I have done

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

please post some photo's i have never heard of this type of art... wow they sounds great.. as i keep saying i have been working 12 months and all i do is blody white tips... god give me some funky clients..
LOL
X Mel
Hay Hun,

I do mine the same as Kiwigirl only i always use reverse aplication (that way i am sure to get a crisp smile line) this is one i did for a client i was weaning off your plain french. Hope you like x (i would attatch a pic but the file is too big and i don't know how to shrink it)

Hay Hun,

I do mine the same as Kiwigirl only i always use reverse aplication (that way i am sure to get a crisp smile line) this is one i did for a client i was weaning off your plain french. Hope you like x (i would attatch a pic but the file is too big and i don't know how to shrink it)

Easiest way is if you have powerpoint. Copy it, resize it and resave it. It will bring the size down a fair bit.

PS I love reverse application!!!! Thats all I use too.

100_1879.jpg

Not sure if this will work but here is a pic of encased real dried flowers with hand painted lines, the embedded dots and embedded lines that I did. The lines are done with a twisted paper clip, the dots are done with a marbling/dotter tool that you use for nail art. Also if you go to a craft store, in the scrap booking section they have what looks like paperclips already twisted into shapes for a very inexpensive price.

I am doing another set today so I will try to get a better/less blurry pic and try to take some while I am doing it. It is real easy.

how did u do the dots im so confused!!!!!

Latest posts

Back