How to get rid of these ginger roots!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xsimplexshelx

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a lady who has been having full head highlights, and lowlights and then I touch her roots up. She wants a natural blonde as she was bleach blonde for years. Now first time I did her colour it went perfect. The last time I did it the roots have gone very ginger. I use Wella koleston 8 3% for full head colour. 10 6% highlights and 7 3%. I need to combat this ginger I'm doing her hair a week on sat and also I need to know what colours I can use to achieve natural blonde as the last time I did it her hair faded back to bleach blonde. I don't mind using another brand I just need this hair perfect! Iv attached pics of her hair. As you can see on the pic the overall colour looks nice but them roots are not for lifting! I even tried with a higher peroxide just on the roots but it wouldn't budge. Any help would be appreciated thanks xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334927459.453441.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334927459.453441.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 7,578
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334927476.740803.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334927476.740803.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 2,758
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334927492.575545.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334927492.575545.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 6,959
What's her natural base she looks quite light?

Well when her regrowth is there she is dark about a 5 but obviously next to the light hair it always looks darker. Someone told me she looks like she has natural red in her hair but it doesnt look red when her roots are through. X

Well when her regrowth is there she is dark about a 5 but obviously next to the light hair it always looks darker. Someone told me she looks like she has natural red in her hair but it doesnt look red when her roots are through. X

The peroxide was to low, you'll need to use a 6% to get the tint to lift maybe even 9% if she actually is a base 5, and if she is throwing out orange at the roots use 8.1 on the roots and then 8 with 3% on lengths and ends?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Hi all

I have a lady who has been having full head highlights, and lowlights and then I touch her roots up. She wants a natural blonde as she was bleach blonde for years. Now first time I did her colour it went perfect. The last time I did it the roots have gone very ginger. I use Wella koleston 8 3% for full head colour. 10 6% highlights and 7 3%. I need to combat this ginger I'm doing her hair a week on sat and also I need to know what colours I can use to achieve natural blonde as the last time I did it her hair faded back to bleach blonde. I don't mind using another brand I just need this hair perfect! Iv attached pics of her hair. As you can see on the pic the overall colour looks nice but them roots are not for lifting! I even tried with a higher peroxide just on the roots but it wouldn't budge. Any help would be appreciated thanks xx

I don't believe you can use 3% with koleston?

6% needed at least if she is a 5, an like previous response your going to get warmth come through, so you need to counteract that- an 8/3 will add to the warmth. As for the foils fading you need to pre-pig if she has bleach on the ends :)

If she is a base 5 and u put on an 8 with 3% you would hardly notice the difference, but the pic tells a different story! I dont think she is a 5!!!???

using Koleston you shold be using 6% and above unless using colour touch.
i agree 3% with koleston on a 5 shouldnt turn this light

If she is a 5 i would use 8/1 with 30 vol, and use a warm 7 semi or quasi in foils, i would use a warm 9 in foils also, semis/quasi hold better over bleached hair and are kinder.

also why are the highlights (which look like bleach to me not a 10) not right to the root? I dont get your method at all :confused::confused::confused:

She looks like a 7 going by her e/brows and the colour you've ended up with, I'm a 5 and mine never go that creamy blonde or ginger! 3% in wella is pastel which is only for toning and bleach when you want subtle lift, have you used cheap peroxide? Wella colours....infancy no colours react well with cheap stuff, yes the proper stuff is pricey but if your offering a quality service charge for it and use quality products x

Thanks for your advise. The highlights were to the root but when her roots went ginger I had to just paste them on. She has very long very thick hair and I was there for 6 hours both times! By the roots she looked like a 5 she may be lighter naturally but due to the fact she had been bleaching for Years and everywhere was really light her roots looked very dark. I was told when depositing colour which is what I was doing I was to use 3% so I did. The highlights are a 10 not bleach. Iv not used bleach on her hair. As she is wanting to go to a darker blonde with highlights. I was told the cheaper peroxide works just as well but I'm finding that isn't the case so I have bought Wella peroxide for next time I do her hair. She is happy with the all over colour I just need to do these roots. I'm not very confident with colour I only started mobile in January and I'm still finding my feet I qualified in 2005 but havnt done much since qualifying so just still getting the hang of it all.
Xx

Thanks for your advise. The highlights were to the root but when her roots went ginger I had to just paste them on. She has very long very thick hair and I was there for 6 hours both times! By the roots she looked like a 5 she may be lighter naturally but due to the fact she had been bleaching for Years and everywhere was really light her roots looked very dark. I was told when depositing colour which is what I was doing I was to use 3% so I did. The highlights are a 10 not bleach. Iv not used bleach on her hair. As she is wanting to go to a darker blonde with highlights. I was told the cheaper peroxide works just as well but I'm finding that isn't the case so I have bought Wella peroxide for next time I do her hair. She is happy with the all over colour I just need to do these roots. I'm not very confident with colour I only started mobile in January and I'm still finding my feet I qualified in 2005 but havnt done much since qualifying so just still getting the hang of it all.
Xx

I'd say going mobile is the wrong choice for you at the minute if your not confident in colour, 6 hours is an awful longtime! you need to be in a salon, did u take a colour chart to check her natural with? And yes 10vol is used to deposit but you have to check what the manufacturer says as they often change it, the same as tonal values change per company, why just past the roots on? This has caused the colour to not take properly because not enough was applied.

I went mobile as there is nowhere taking on. I don't normally take that long doing highlights but it took me over an hour to put highlights on. Then there's the waiting around and stuff. Much easier if in a salon as more clients could of been done. Iv never found using koleston colours with cheaper peroxide a problem till I did this girls hair. I only pasted the roots on after the overall colour threw out this ginger. It will be sorted a week today and I will use the proper peroxide a higher one for roots. Looking at my colour chart now I'd say her natural colour is between a 6-7 I thought 5 but looking at the chart now its really dark.

I've just re-read the original post, you've not used any bleach just tint then to combat the ginger you used another tint? Tint won't lift tint, and every body's hair has red pigment in it, if she is naturally a 7 maybe 6 in places. if you lift it out you expose orange/copper and because your only using flat neutral colours these contain green, which won't kill orange, you need a blue to kill orange so something /1 in wella, I'd try toning with 9/16 and pastel personally

Thank you. I use that next week. I appreciate your help. What would you suggest for highlight and lowlight as she wants it with a few different colours x

Latest posts

Back