How to get your foot in the salon door??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne P

Reaction score
k I'm starting to stress.. I desperately want to get out of my current job (credit controller!) and get into a salon but its so so hard.. everyone wants you to have at least 2years experience in a salon environment but how the hell are you supposed to get that if no one will take you on to begin with! I've applied for every salon receptionist jobs i can find just to try get my foot in the door and get a feel for it but i'm not even having any luck with that! :grr::grr:
can anyone offer me any sort of advice??

BTW I'm trained in Gel nails, manicure, pedicure, spray tanning and I'm doing my ITEC waxing at the moment...
Thanks x

hi abbi im lise and having the exact same problem,it sucks iv even done more training so i dont lose touch and offering to work for free for a month but hey ho tomorrows another day,good luck gurly dont give up

Work experience is usually the best way.I contacted loads of salons asking if they would let me work with them for one week. I did this for free but I got a job out of it so was well worth it. I loved my work experience!
I do know what you mean about nobody giving you a chance to get experience. I think if I were a salon owner I would be the same though. They have a reputation to think of.
Good luck. I hope you get to where you want to be xxx

It will be hard to get a foot in - it always has been, those that succeed are those that have persevered. It's particularly hard at the moment as a lot of salons have cut back, so a combination of the flood of experienced therapists suddenly looking for jobs combined with the never ending mass of therapists colleges now churn out will make it particularly difficult.

i also worked for free,,, a few weeks here and there at a couple of salons, i eventually got a placement to start my training,
i realise you are trained, but same kinda thing
it sucks not getting paid but shows you are giving it your best shot xx

Abbi, I'm sure I've seen posts on here from other therapists in Dublin.
Maybe you could do a post entitled Work Experience in Dublin, requesting unpaid work experience for yourself, and see if anyone gets back to you?

Just an idea, you may as well make the most of the site.

All my beauty therapists in the last ten years have been employed by me following a stint of work experience, that's why I'm a great believer in it. As an employer you get to see what the 'whole' person is like before they get to work for you, also they get to know exactly how the salon works and if they like it or not.

Good luck
Cathy x

Hi there!

Gosh i remember having this problem 12 years ago! You'll find something dont worry.....I remember thinking...... right im qualified now what do i do?! Everyone wants 1...2...3..years experience etc and here I am now with 12 years! It goes so fast! The only way i could work with no experience was to travel or work for peanuts! Do you drive or are willing to live in?? the only places these days are Health farms, hotels, spas etc. They take on a high number of newly qualified therapists for minimum wage and before you know it you've got a years experience to put on your c.v and you start getting work more local in salons etc or wherever you want.
It would be worth the effort to travel an hour there and back for example to a health farm to get work. I would start calling all the health farms and Spas in hotels etc and just say you're a fully qualified beauty therapist and was just calling to see if they had any vacancies........
If they do ask about experience you can always say you've been studying beauty full time for the past two years and all throughout your training you've been working as a mobile therapist which has been very sucessful and you've had alot of repeat clients but you're now wanting to further your career and work for a company in a spa/Health club etc etc..........

Sorry i just realised you're not fully qualified, not to worry they may still take on someone like yourself with the treatments you do or i'd maybe consider doing your facials and body massage courses too, good luck x

This is the hard thing about salons as like you mentioned they are hard to get into. The best thing you could possibly do is work for yourself and build up your own client base on a mobile basis. Or rent a room out in the salon.
xx

I do not agree that the best thing you can do is work for yourself as nothing will beat working amonst more experienced/ higher qualified staff. To get your foot in the door you must be persistent. Present yourself in a professional, friendly manner, have a portfolio - before and after photo's, your case studies and keep practicing at home. Find a salon you would like to work in and offer yourself to them for free - Dont just hand out cv's - be specific. There is a major change in the way salons are operatining due to the economical times, salon owners want fabulous, reliable staff so the fact that you are a newbie suggest that you will not be as compitent, require further training or will need to laern skills. I generalise but this is a reality. By offer yourself as free staff (with your own insurance €50 from AIT) you are saying that you are willing to learn, dedicated to your craft and are available.

I would try and get in to a fabulous salon now and who knows you could be employed by summer.

Latest posts

Back