How to mix Greige with Brisa

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachFace

Reaction score
I absolutely love the OPI colour 'Over the Taupe' and would love to mix something similar with Brisa. Has anyone tried to custom blend an opaque taupe/greige colour with Brisa Bolds? Would you just mix equal red and green to start with and then lighten/ darken with white/black or is there a better way to start. Thought id canvass a bit of advice before wasting gel by going about it the wrong way :irked:

I havent done the custom blending training yet, though I plan to do it soon but I am loving having a go on myself and have mixed a few gorgeous colours so far especially a dark teal colour which I loved

Thanks in advance x

I absolutely love the OPI colour 'Over the Taupe' and would love to mix something similar with Brisa. Has anyone tried to custom blend an opaque taupe/greige colour with Brisa Bolds? Would you just mix equal red and green to start with and then lighten/ darken with white/black or is there a better way to start. Thought id canvass a bit of advice before wasting gel by going about it the wrong way :irked:

I havent done the custom blending training yet, though I plan to do it soon but I am loving having a go on myself and have mixed a few gorgeous colours so far especially a dark teal colour which I loved

Thanks in advance x

Hmm!! A challenge. I might have some fun today!

Thanks in advance x

Hi Rach,
Greige is so hot right now and clients are going nuts for it! :)

My fav Brisa mix for Greige is:
Equal parts Blue and Orange, then add half a part White Sculpting gel.
If you want a lighter shade, add a little more White Sculpting Gel.
If you want a cooler shade of Greige add a little more Blue Coloured Gel.

Hope this helps!

hiya this colour was very popular for me last winter, and I mixed it by starting with orange and blue to get a dark brown and then added white to make beige and then added black to acheive the right shade xx

Attachments

• brisa grey mix.jpg
    brisa grey mix.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 92
Wow thanks Ladies that is fantastic!!

Am wondering what Fab colour Geeg could come up with too!! :)

I'm not even going to try !! That recipe looks great to me.

yes I agree Geeg, they look amazing! Im gonna get on it asap!

Thought id take the opportunity to ask a couple of Brisa colour questions while I have you experts on the thread :)

Do you use the spatula and plastic dishes you get with the Brisa Bolds to mix your blends or have you found something that works better? (Ive been curing the leftover gel in the plastic dishes which I thought was a great idea I read on here but I didnt like the spatula type tool much and struggled to get it all off so ended up wasting a fair bit cleaning it off, but it could just be down to inexperience and poor technique!).

Also do you usually apply 2 thin coats over the clear builder gel? I found when I mixed a teal colour that too thin a coat didnt give good enough coverage even with 2 coats, but if I went thicker the coverage was great. I dont want to compromise the curing process by going too thick, so do people generally layer several very thin coats or go a bit thicker but still think IYSWIM. Thx for all your expertise - I dont know what I would do without this site :)

yes I agree Geeg, they look amazing! Im gonna get on it asap!

Thought id take the opportunity to ask a couple of Brisa colour questions while I have you experts on the thread :)

Do you use the spatula and plastic dishes you get with the Brisa Bolds to mix your blends or have you found something that works better? (Ive been curing the leftover gel in the plastic dishes which I thought was a great idea I read on here but I didnt like the spatula type tool much and struggled to get it all off so ended up wasting a fair bit cleaning it off, but it could just be down to inexperience and poor technique!).

Also do you usually apply 2 thin coats over the clear builder gel? I found when I mixed a teal colour that too thin a coat didnt give good enough coverage even with 2 coats, but if I went thicker the coverage was great. I dont want to compromise the curing process by going too thick, so do people generally layer several very thin coats or go a bit thicker but still think IYSWIM. Thx for all your expertise - I dont know what I would do without this site :)

Hi Rach,
as a palette to mix Brisa Colours I use the backing from a Clear Performance Form (shiney side), I save up all my form backings in a little bag so I always have plenty, they would be getting binned otherwise.

As far as the thickness of the Colour Coat goes, I personally find 2 coats of colour to be more than enough to create full opacity (provided there is NO sheer Gel in the mix), so perhaps you are applying a wee bit thinner than you need to. You are absolutely right not to want to compromise the curing process by laying down the Gel too thickly, but if the colour appears sheer after two layers then maybe you are erring on the side of caution a little more than is necessary and could afford to go SLIGHTLY thicker.

When you went a little thicker did everything look ok? Did the enhancements last as normal for the client? Was she comfortable in the lamp? (i.e, no heat was felt). If the answer to these questions is yes then it sounds like the thickness you laid down was A-ok.

Good luck!

Hi Rach,
as a palette to mix Brisa Colours I use the backing from a Clear Performance Form (shiney side), I save up all my form backings in a little bag so I always have plenty, they would be getting binned otherwise.

As far as the thickness of the Colour Coat goes, I personally find 2 coats of colour to be more than enough to create full opacity (provided there is NO sheer Gel in the mix), so perhaps you are applying a wee bit thinner than you need to. You are absolutely right not to want to compromise the curing process by laying down the Gel too thickly, but if the colour appears sheer after two layers then maybe you are erring on the side of caution a little more than is necessary and could afford to go SLIGHTLY thicker.

When you went a little thicker did everything look ok? Did the enhancements last as normal for the client? Was she comfortable in the lamp? (i.e, no heat was felt). If the answer to these questions is yes then it sounds like the thickness you laid down was A-ok.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me Fiona, it is so helpful! I am only practicing on myself until I am confident mixing colours and to get the technique right. Im hoping to go on the custom colour blending course soon so then i will be happy letting loose on the public lol

Yes they looked great and no heat spike so i think youre probably right and I was trying to brush a little too thinly. They lasted really well apart from a couple of chips where i think i was a little too thin at the corners, im gonna practice some more!

Latest posts

Back