How to succeed in nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such a fab, encouraging post!! :)

You covered this already, but I think it's soooooo important to remember to:

BE PATIENT!!! It takes a long time to build up a loyal clientèle. Don't get hung up on desperately looking for more business/clients, or waste huge amounts of time and energy 'converting/convincing' people; instead make sure you really look after the clients that ALREADY think you rock (and any new ones that give you a chance to).....they can do a lot of the legwork for you!!!

XX

Brilliant thread thanks Souz 👍

A definitely useful check list :)

Will be subscribing to this thread as well as I imagine other people will be replying with other hints/tips as well as yours

💖

Great post and idea's, thanks!

Souz - Can I ask what sort of local groups you send promotions to?

Thanks

Louise

Great post and idea's, thanks!

Souz - Can I ask what sort of local groups you send promotions to?

Thanks

Louise

i send vouchers to all local scout groups, schools, mums n tots, anywhere that might be having a fete/pamper evening where i can have a stall!

forgot something off my list, register yourselves on Stallfinder | Find an Event or Stallholder, its for all local craft fairs/pamper eves those kinds of events to be advertised so you can look for upcoming events as well as organisers of these events can send you a message asking if you would like to be at their event xx

hun dont worry and to be honest i wouldnt worry about doing offers at all unless its on a new product you are buying in and want to promote whilst recouping some of the money spent out. I used to do a monthly offer on my website and no one ever took it up so ive stopped (means i dont have to think of a different offer all the time too!) and its not affected business at all. People that want their nails done and to look good all the time dont worry about how much it costs just the same as getting our hair done, once you find someone you like you pay!

Dont ever be disheartened by what others are doing. Believe in yourself and be positive. If you are quiet at any time use that time wisely. Either write more letters to local groups, re advertise online, update your nail art wheels, practise whatever your not confident in, do your books or have a clear out-always something to do!!xx

Thank you so much for this, I've been doing nails for years & I have never done monthly offers until recently & it is a pain trying to think what I'm going to each month so I will stop! I only get the odd few take me up on it too. I'm always really busy March - October & ultra busy in December. I will do as you suggested & use my time wisely. I've recently attended Shellac Art & Style class and I used my spare time this week to do a sample wheel & I've booked up on the Master Painter & attending THE Event! Sooo exciting!

Thank you so much for this, I've been doing nails for years & I have never done monthly offers until recently & it is a pain trying to think what I'm going to each month so I will stop! I only get the odd few take me up on it too. I'm always really busy March - October & ultra busy in December. I will do as you suggested & use my time wisely. I've recently attended Shellac Art & Style class and I used my spare time this week to do a sample wheel & I've booked up on the Master Painter & attending THE Event! Sooo exciting!

no problem, why give yourself hassles that arent actually helping your business! You will learn even more art ideas on your master painter and who knows what we will come away from the event knowing!!( i too am going in case anyone didnt already know lol!!)

Out of interest why did you start doing offers??xx

thanks champagnecharli, i think you definitely hit the nail on the head when you said not everyone is good at business. I have had previous jobs where i have helped run businesses as well as my husband had a sucessful business for 15 years and i helped run his office.( i have been a PA to Directors and am very organised!) Ive seen from first hand what not to do and this is what drives me in the direction i am going and why i have not opened up a salon other than my home salon. Its not something to rush into without capital behind you to see you through the tough months!

i loved your quote "why be a busy fool" !!! so true xxxx

Ditto I have been a PA to Directors & started nails when I had my babies & have been doing nails for 11 years! I am organised but not really been that good on the marketing side. I am getting better though & I am so pleased to see this thread as I thought I was going mad thinking 'what am I doing wrong!' I've also recently found out that the technicians in NSS get £100-150 per day regardless whether they are busy it not! I just couldn't believe what I was hearing!

Love love love this post. I think there are lots of people on this forum who are probably good at doing nails but not so good at the business side of things. I know from experience in other businesses that discounting is a slippery slope. Why be a busy fool? If you have invested in expensive training and products then your prices need to reflect that! Thanks for sharing!

'Why be a busy fool?' Perfect - I'm going to keep that one in my head - I will stop my discounting, I've only started doing it coz everyone around me is doing it!

no problem, why give yourself hassles that arent actually helping your business! You will learn even more art ideas on your master painter and who knows what we will come away from the event knowing!!( i too am going in case anyone didnt already know lol!!)

Out of interest why did you start doing offers??xx

Because other techs around me were & they seem to be so much busier, but then it has got me thinking that they are working hard for peanuts when I'm doing less but probably earning more! Lol! This thread has really helped me get over this little worry I've been having lol! I love Salon Geek! And, yes, I did notice you're going to THE Event :D

Thanks Souz for your brill advice.
I'm bookmarking this so I can come back read when I finally get up and running.

Great thread Souz!
Can I ask what all you have on your treatment list?

i do shellac, Brisa Gel and Bio Sculpture gel nails, manicures, pedicures, waxing, tinting, spray tan, glitter tattoos

i have a separate price list for brides where i also have make up on

My main price lists have 3 columns for nails where ive listed prices and explanations for my manicures, overlays, enhancements, rebalance, rockstars, glitter fades, foils, gems. Everything is priced up except hand painted nail art as depends how long it takes etc.

I dont do much waxing except for eyebrows and spray tans is only occasional. To be honest i do either shellac or Bio sculpture all day xx

Thank you for posting this. You have given great advice and given me some fab ideas. For me one of the most important ones is 12, there are so many 'pretty' things that I want to buy, like for example glitters, but until I have perfected applying and removal I won't move to the next step. (I am very new to the trade) I want to get the basics right first, and then build on my skills. many thanks for posting this. This is why this site is so brilliant! Thank you souz.

hun, dont worry we have all been there and i for one am terrible for buying lots that i dont need but we are running a business and have to think that way. Over time you will get to know what you can shift and what you cant, somethings just sell themselves without you even trying! and your doing it the right way perfecting your skill first xx

Thanks Souz for your brill advice.
I'm bookmarking this so I can come back read when I finally get up and running.

no problem hun, the more you know before you are up and running the easier it will be and less likely to make costly mistakes. good luck xxx

Great thread Souz thank you so much. Great advice for people just starting and even for those who may have quiet moments. Funnily I have just been asked to do a stall at my sons school (just in the process of starting my business) and didnt have a clue what I could offer but now, thanks to you I do! Glitter tattoos! Brilliant idea! Can I ask where you get the kit from? xx

Cool topic, and helpful. When I first started my training I remember we all went to the shop attached to the school and most of us spent a fortune on the EzFlow glitter powders. I still have the vast majority of them, 7 years later, untouched! That class was full, once we stopped working on each other, of girls with outrageously loud glitter fades and attempts at 3d nail art. I was one of the few with only a glitter tip lol.... The few clients I have had over the years want either P&W or NNO with polish. Now they don't want either of those, they want Shellac. I can't do nail art for toffee, I can do a smile line though lol....

I've printed out your post, lots of helpful suggestions. The one that with perseverance has worked for me is Facebook. Leaflet drops didn't, advertising locally in the shops didn't. For a good while FB didn't but then I hit on the right people who have started sharing my page with their friends and I've realised it's the right target on FB that matters, not the number of likes.

Xxx

Fantastic thread souz xxx

Great thread Souz thank you so much. Great advice for people just starting and even for those who may have quiet moments. Funnily I have just been asked to do a stall at my sons school (just in the process of starting my business) and didnt have a clue what I could offer but now, thanks to you I do! Glitter tattoos! Brilliant idea! Can I ask where you get the kit from? xx

glitter body art and they have some great deals on at the moment, there is a thread on here about tattoos where ive posted lots if you want to take a look. good luck and if you need any help re your stall just ask xx

Cool topic, and helpful. When I first started my training I remember we all went to the shop attached to the school and most of us spent a fortune on the EzFlow glitter powders. I still have the vast majority of them, 7 years later, untouched! That class was full, once we stopped working on each other, of girls with outrageously loud glitter fades and attempts at 3d nail art. I was one of the few with only a glitter tip lol.... The few clients I have had over the years want either P&W or NNO with polish. Now they don't want either of those, they want Shellac. I can't do nail art for toffee, I can do a smile line though lol....

I've printed out your post, lots of helpful suggestions. The one that with perseverance has worked for me is Facebook. Leaflet drops didn't, advertising locally in the shops didn't. For a good while FB didn't but then I hit on the right people who have started sharing my page with their friends and I've realised it's the right target on FB that matters, not the number of likes.

Xxx

your so right about facebook and who you can target, to be honest i dont use mine much!

you should sell your glitters if your not going to use, ive just had a massive clearout of all the stuff i no longer wanted but others did. You dont have to be good at art to do most nail art, most of it is based around spots and stripes but can look very effective but i do know what you mean about people not wanting. I do lots of glitter and foils in fact just about every client now has glitter or foils or the odd gem, i think its just about not overdoing it. Ive done a few lately where they have had pale pink with silver or gold ring fingers as its subtle yet a bit different (but i do have the other extremes that like the more the better!)xx

although i dont run promotions as such i do like to promote charities, next month is the daffodil appeal for marie curie research so go onto their website and get some ideas of what you could do in your salon and benefit this great cause x

Latest posts

Back