How to tackle this awkward situation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekychick

Reaction score
Bit long so bare with me lol.
I've Been working in a nail bar for a few months and all was well but the past 3 weeks have been a nightmare.
The owner claims to know literally everyone who sits at my desk (sisters cousins brothers auntie blah blah blah lol)
And when I'm finished ill say the price if they don't already know but she will cut me off and discount the treatment By like £5 each time! I'm so peed off its unreal.
It's 50/50 and I supply all of my shellac, nail art bits & pieces. She uses my shellac when I'm not there but doesn't look after anything. There's always shellac leaking out of the Lids when I go in as she hasn't a clue how to use it or my tools are always on her table where she's been using them. She even dropped my drill on the floor and snapped 2 drill bits in 1 day!!
Or she will ask for me to do her shellac then remove it a day or 2 later (grrrrr)
I don't want to be here forever but this is my first salon job and leaving isn't exactly an option at the moment as I have no other job to go to. I don't want to get into a row but its leading to that as I feel like I'm going to explode if we don't have a chat.
Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
What can I say that doesn't make me sound petty or how do I approach her about it? I feel stupid but I'm out of pocket all the time paying out for new products where she's cutting my prices plus petrol as the salon is quite a Way out of my area. :(
Xx

Bit long so bare with me lol.
I've Been working in a nail bar for a few months and all was well but the past 3 weeks have been a nightmare.
The owner claims to know literally everyone who sits at my desk (sisters cousins brothers auntie blah blah blah lol)
And when I'm finished ill say the price if they don't already know but she will cut me off and discount the treatment By like £5 each time! I'm so peed off its unreal.
It's 50/50 and I supply all of my shellac, nail art bits & pieces. She uses my shellac when I'm not there but doesn't look after anything. There's always shellac leaking out of the Lids when I go in as she hasn't a clue how to use it or my tools are always on her table where she's been using them. She even dropped my drill on the floor and snapped 2 drill bits in 1 day!!
Or she will ask for me to do her shellac then remove it a day or 2 later (grrrrr)
I don't want to be here forever but this is my first salon job and leaving isn't exactly an option at the moment as I have no other job to go to. I don't want to get into a row but its leading to that as I feel like I'm going to explode if we don't have a chat.
Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
What can I say that doesn't make me sound petty or how do I approach her about it? I feel stupid but I'm out of pocket all the time paying out for new products where she's cutting my prices plus petrol as the salon is quite a Way out of my area. :(
Xx

Hiya hun - I haven't got much advice to give, but I didn't want to read and run. That's horrible :(

One thing I would say... If she wants to discount people then the discount should come out of her share of the 50/50 - not take the discount and then 50/50! That's not fair you haven't chosen to discount them. And vise versa, if you decide to
Offer someone a discount it should come Out of your side of the 50/50 share! I think that's fair!

As for the tools maybe someone on here will be able to word a polite way that you can talk to her and explain that you're not happy without getting in to a row :(

Hope you get it sorted soon huni xxx

Hi hun

Call a meeting with her. Stay calm and have ready exactly what you want to say. As your 50/50 I'm assuming you're self employed. Therefore she is given a percentage of the earnings from your business. This means it is up to you to set your prices and not for her to discount as and when she feels. If she so strongly feels the need to discount then she needs to take it out of her own 50% not yours, however arguably she cannot discount your business.

With regards to products say it how it is. Say you have noticed items have been damaged and it needs to stop. Accidents happen, but sounds like she is just plain careless.

With regards to you doing her nails say you're more than happy (if you are) to apply shellac free of charge every 2 weeks but anything in between then charge her full price or to cover costs.

I can't stress enough honey as a self employed person you operate your business inside of her salon, therefore there needs to rules on both sides of the fence.

Don't sit and seethe, talk to her, sometimes people just need reminding or that it's not acceptable. You don't want to fall out, neither do you want to explode when a short, polite, friendly meeting could be all that is needed.

Good luck lovey xx

Could you keep your tools in a locked box maybe, toolbox type box with a padlock on? (dunno how much stuf you have tho.

Maybe she'd get the hint ;)

I've had similar things happen so I take everything home with me. Yes it's heavy, and cumbersome to set up and break down, but I've invested so much in my supplies it's worth the hassle for me.

Could you keep your tools in a locked box maybe, toolbox type box with a padlock on? (dunno how much stuf you have tho.

Maybe she'd get the hint ;)

I was about to say the same, or take YOUR stuff home. You do need to have a meeting and have this out with her before you explode.

All I can say is GRRR. I'm annoyed that she is using your product, your tools and discounting your services when she didn't have one hand in helping you pay for the products or the equipment and she is NOT the one doing the service! She shouldn't be discounting your work at all nor should she or anyone else be using your stuff unless you've said it was allowed! You definitely need to have a talk. She may own the salon but you're working for yourself. I can't imagine how I would feel. Maybe I'm being very sensitive but thinking about someone using all my product that I've spent a ton of money on without asking me makes me angry! Good luck Hun.

I know it is a pain but is there anyway you could lock up your shellac and take your drill home? Do you have a car? You might just have to take your stuff home on days off.

You need to talk with her asap and sort this out.
Ask her for what a good time to chat would be and book it in for both of you.
Write down the issues at hand and don't get off track, keep to the issues and leave it at that.
When you first sit down, remind her in a gentle tone that you are both business owners and wish to do the best for your business and you are both adults and as adults, you would like to discuss some issues that have popped up that are affecting your businesses and you do not wish the chat to be harsh or cause problems, you just feel that as adults the best way to deal with things is to have a nice adult to adult chat about them, sort through them and be able to move on happily.

Try (I know this is hard but you can do it if you really think about it first) not to use the word "you" or start a sentence with the word "you" too much and try not to use an accusing tone...so don't say things like "you are ruining my Shellac bottles" try "I know you like to to do your own nails with my Shellac colors but something is going wrong and I'm finding them all messed up recently and could I ask you to stop using them, I am more than happy to apply your Shellac for you every fortnight, is all you have to do is ask".
Remind her of your 50/50 split and let her know that you understand that she might know all your clients and wish to discount for them but remind her, you don't know them and you have your set prices that you already feel are balanced prices and you do not wish to discount any further, so if she wishes to discount then it's only fair that it come out of her 50%, not yours.
Let her know the costs of your equipment and the training you had to have and pay for to use the equipment and again, while you know she likes to use it, it is causing breakages or damage and you can not afford to replace the items and this could mean that you can not work and neither of you would earn an income if this happened, so would she mind not using your equipment and if she feels something needs doing, again just ask you and you can book her in to have whatever needs doing done.

Don't be submissive, be firm but nice, cause if you give her one milli amount of the impression you are scared, she will take it and run and these problems will never get better, they will get worse.
Just going on what she is already doing, this is the type of personality she clearly has (a take, walk all over people one) so you must stand up for yourself asap.

Just think about what and how you are going to say everything you need to address, make her feel like there is still something in it for her but without taking advantage of you or your tools at the same time.

Good luck but don't be scared, you really need to get this sorted out asap before she gets worse.

Thank you all for your advice, I really do appreciate it very much.
today will be busy so I think ill say to her about having a chat Monday morning before we open.

Its just so annoying that she doesn't even have her own curette, cuticle pushers etc. how can you claim to be a nail tech without the most important tools?!

I was going home last week, as I was finished, she then got me to do her shellac (carefully watching my every move) then when I left the other tech texted me to say she was
Doing her 7 year olds nails exactly how I had done hers with shellac! Like that was the only reason she wanted hers done so she could copy.

She did a day course and tries to tell me this is wrong/ that is wrong while I have clients all the time.
She tells people the wrong information and slates products that we dont use in our salon which really annoys me as just because we don't use them doesn't mean they are bad!
(Gelish, Gellux etc)
She's taking on a new nail tech aswel this week so I politely asked if the girl was doing a trade test. She didn't know what that was!!
Then the girl told her she uses creative products- she said she's never heard of creative 😬even though I use cnd shellac. I feel like I'm educating her all the time.

Oh and last week she took it upon herself to offer my brisa smoothing gel to every natural nail client who came in for a file & polish so they could have their first set for free!!!!!

Sorry for the rant, I'm getting angrier the more I think about it. :(

I cut my days down to weds, fri & Saturday this week so it will be a pain but I think your all right and I'm going to have to like completely clear my desk to stop it happening. I did this once before but she complained that the desk was empty. :/

She's killing my passion and I don't know how much more I can take.
Xx

I take my stuff home with me - I also work from home so need to anyway. Wouldn't want to leave hundreds of pounds worth of product for others to use free of charge. Maybe you could say you do work at home / or treat friends so like to have products with you.

I got fed up with kids of the hairdressers clients messing with my stuff when I wasn't there so bought a 2nd hand filing cupboard with a roller shutter & a lock on, everything goes in it when I'm not in the salon.
Not very pretty but when they're breaking & messing with your stuff, needs must.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1364039786.985784.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1364039786.985784.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 451
I got fed up with kids of the hairdressers clients messing with my stuff when I wasn't there so bought a 2nd hand filing cupboard with a roller shutter & a lock on, everything goes in it when I'm not in the salon.
Not very pretty but when they're breaking & messing with your stuff, needs must.

This is brilliant! If the shop was big enough I'd definitely invest in one of these! :)

I've politely said I'd like a meeting Monday before work for a chat so that's when it will be.
When I left tonight I packed every single thing I own into my car. ( even the solar oils I have on display to retail!)
Once again asked of id do her nails 2 mins before closing then asked for about 10 different things before I went but I just said I needed them & had to go. I think she's getting it! Lol
Xx

Keep it up! Don't let her bring you down, take the situation in to your hands and under your control. :)

I had a similar thing, using my products, again she did a very short (2 hour) course on gelish and using my products and buying fakes off eBay!
It got to the point where she was sub letting my room I pay rent on. Not taking booking or telling people I was unable to fit them in.
I've needed up leaving for another salon... Best move! Sometimes we get pushed on, and it's the best thing ever! Chat to her and see what you can work out. Otherwise keep an eye out.
Hth :)

Thats a tough one! And aside from locking/taking your things away (which everyone else has suggested) then I dont know what else you can do!
You're taking the right steps by asking to have a chat with her! I hope all goes well, good luck & let us know how you get on Monday x

Jeeeeze, I'd just say stuff it, leave and set up on my own. I wouldn't want to go back to a salon full time or part time ever again if this was happening to me. Easier said than done I know.

Spoke this morning, she didn't really listen at all. Kept making excuses to go outside. She knows she's wrong that's why she tried to avoid me.

I was calm, said everything I needed to say politely and not like I was digging her out. But it was like talking to a brick wall. She just spoke a load of rubbish & gave excuses for this & that.
She said she didn't buy herself tools & things as she doesn't really need them because she's hardly going to be there from now on as she can see I know how to run the shop by myself!! Basically the plan from the start was to get someone who will do her job & run things for her!!

I wish I could just leave right now :( so I'm looking for other places as we speak!

Ive decided that for my own sanity I can't work with her, she just takes the pee, and talking to her today I've realised that its just who she is and I doubt she will ever change.

Thank you all for your advice.
I'm still bloody angry at her but disappointed at the same time with the way things have gone as I was so happy there at the start. But such is life I suppose.
Xx

Well done for trying though! You'll be happier working somewhere else by the sounds of it :)
You never want to run someone elses business for them if you're not paying the wage! Good luck chick x

I just got out of a situation exactly like this. I had to resign to this job. The owner of the salon kept 50% of my services, I supplied my own material, my own prices. I wasn't making enough money to restock my material. She expected me to do her nails and managers nails for free, because she said that I was "in training" like of I didn't went to school for that. She helped herself to my tools and returned them unclean. I got to a point where it was enough. If I never got outta that place for once, I could still see myself stuck there for a few more months. I just told them straight out my economic situation and ended everything in peace for future reference in other jobs. It was hard but I'm glad I got over that. Now I am looking for a job closer to where I live. Since it was my first job at a salon, now I know what to look for and what is more convenient for me. Good Luck!!!!

Latest posts

Back