I cannot believe this!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have also honoured it. She may have loved her treatment with you and rebooked. If someone did use for example a manicure voucher after the 12 months i give and my prices had gone up, I may ask for the additional amount. I would feel well within my right to do that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Im quite sad about this post. I simply posted as i needed to get something off my chest to fellow biz owners who feel a little overwhelmed sometimes. Now, i feel like people are judging me for my salons rules and my decisions. I have never and will never be the type of person to take someones money and not perform a treatment unless like this situation the voucher is invalid. I feel like some of the replies and comments ive had on here have seemed to make me look like i am taking and not giving back. My clients are very very important to me and i would never treat them like a cash cow.
Virtues - it has nothing to do with being 'disappointed with you all saying you would honour the vouchers' whatsoever. I did say it was a rant and that's all it was.

You have nothing to be sad about, you posted on a 'professional' forum with a question to receive answers....there is nothing personal about it. It's up to you if you honour a voucher or not, no one is judging you, I asked you a question of which you replied....no need for tissues just yet.

You have nothing to be sad about, you posted on a 'professional' forum with a question to receive answers....there is nothing personal about it. It's up to you if you honour a voucher or not, no one is judging you, I asked you a question of which you replied....no need for tissues just yet.

That's lovely thanks so much virtues for your lovely reply.

I would honour it, though I feel that expiry dates are a must, if for no other reason but your book keeping. When you sell a voucher to a client, they are technically a creditor. To know where you are financially is essential for managing your books, and I wouldn't consider it good practice to carry creditors over multiple tax years. Just my opinion.....

I just thought you should take a step back and put yourself in the client's shoes. Some may not think that is a way to make money but I don't feel that the beauty industry should be treated as cut throat as say the banking industry or oneof those horrible voucher companies. We provide a very personal service to people, they put their trust in us with their bodies and I think sometimes it helps to be more emphatic towards your potential and existing clients.

And as "netball" stated....you did ask the question at the end of your initial post. That's why we're answering and giving our opinion. I'm sorry you don't agree with the majority of the replies but perhaps its telling you something. The answer to your question is "no".

I really hope the situation is resolved to everyone's favour. Especially the client who I feel really sorry for. Maybe I'm just soft. It hasn't harmed my business though. I'm tough but I'm not mean.

Just out of interest...those who don't have dates of expiry etc...do you get a run of gift vouchers being used in busy times when you could be charging or do you have exclusions like Xmas run up etc? I know we've had the money but I also hate being handed an out of date voucher on Xmas eve lol

I've had a 3 month limit on mine for 18 years and during that time heard many stories of local salons changing hands or even just names and not honouring vouchers.

If we are going to question the morality of not accepting an out of date voucher according to the conditions as set out by the vendor then can we determine specific times they can be used? I've noticed many Groupons etc are only. laid certain days. Just a thought.

i dont have expiry dates, i do not put the gift voucher money in my till untill it is used,so i am not working for free,even if i did , i took the money, so i am still not working for free ive been paid.clients can book and use vouchers at any time they wont, i took the money, i was grateful for a sale , so i will always honour a voucher even on christmas eve. it is not my money untill its been used, i have had my salon for over 10 years with lots of loyal clients. xxxxx

I think as I put the money to one side until the voucher is redeemed I would honour it as long as it is within the same financial year even if it had expired although I totally sympathise as I would be doing it through gritted teeth lol xx

Just out of interest...those who don't have dates of expiry etc...do you get a run of gift vouchers being used in busy times when you could be charging or do you have exclusions like Xmas run up etc? I know we've had the money but I also hate being handed an out of date voucher on Xmas eve lol

I've had a 3 month limit on mine for 18 years and during that time heard many stories of local salons changing hands or even just names and not honouring vouchers.

If we are going to question the morality of not accepting an out of date voucher according to the conditions as set out by the vendor then can we determine specific times they can be used? I've noticed many Groupons etc are only. laid certain days. Just a thought.

Why should you not honour a voucher during a busy period? The voucher has been paid for, in full. Which means the treatment has been paid for in full. As a client you should be able to use it whenever you want as long as there's an appointment available.

The only instance I would make an exception is if it was a discount voucher, say 20% off or whatever promotion you were running at the time. For these unpaid for vouchers you could stipulate any conditions you like such as "only to be used on rainy Tuesdays at 3pm" :wink2:

Groupon vouchers are discount vouchers. The client did not paying full price so I think it's fair that it can come with conditions as to when it can be used.

This is what annoys me about discount restaurant vouchers. They can never be used on a Saturday, and Saturday night is the only night of the week my husband is home. :rolleyes:

I suppose also it does get personal when it's your baby, your business...if someone gets nippy with you it's only natural to bite back. I wonder how much the client would enjoy her grudged treatment and if she would be back 😄

i just dont get it, you ve been paid to do a service , just do it. no offence ment xxxxx

I agree with mobile manicure 100%, groupon vouchers are offers not gift vouchers therefore set days are expected.

I will put an expiry date on, to encourage booking but would always honour it to the value that has been paid. If prices have gone up id state that whilst booking the appointment. Ive had a week, 2 weeks & a month out of date (I have a book with voucher codes/names/date sold etc) & ive never once even said 'oh its out of date' even in passing. There voucher is as good now as the money was then in my eyes.

Why should we get money for nothing?

High street stores offer a 2 year expiry date.

Xx

Question for OP: If this situation happened again, do you think you would handle it diffently?

Thanks

I suppose also it does get personal when it's your baby, your business...if someone gets nippy with you it's only natural to bite back. I wonder how much the client would enjoy her grudged treatment and if she would be back 😄

Didnt get bite back at all. Stated ts and cs in a very polite manner. If I had said she could use the voucher I would never ever bring that situation into her treatment to make her feel uncomfortable. I would make sure of that.

Didnt get bite back at all. Stated ts and cs in a very polite manner. If I had said she could use the voucher I would never ever bring that situation into her treatment to make her feel uncomfortable. I would make sure of that.

I still dont understand your reason behind only having a 3 month voucher?? If uve taken the money but not performed the service isnt that stealing?

I have a 6 month expiry date on my vouchers to encourage clients to use them within that time frame. I have never refused a voucher, in fact I had a very regular client come in this week and she had £80 worth of vouchers, £40 of which expired a year ago and £40 of which expired in December, she actually gave me the ones that were just out of date and said herself "I have some others but they are pretty old so I won't give you them" I actually asked her for them and accepted them. Sometimes it's as much about the accommodation and customer service as it is about the money. The client was incredibly grateful and left happier than she thought she would.

I will still keep dates on my vouchers and when they run out it gives me a chance to show how good my customer service is. That is not the same as being walked all over.

Don't get me wrong, if they have lost the voucher or say they don't have it to hand then I am afraid I won't be honouring it. I will not refund vouchers.

I just think it's more hassle than it's worth, you've had the money and sometimes you do just have to suck it up.

Last edited:
I still dont understand your reason behind only having a 3 month voucher?? If uve taken the money but not performed the service isnt that stealing?

Not at all and im a bit offended that you would say that tbh. The person who bought the voucher would have been made aware of the expiry and it is stated very clearly on the voucher itself. it is therefore their responsibility to use the voucher within the given timeframe. It is not like I have sold a voucher and refused to honour it for no reason so therefore no it is not stealing. I am a very honest person and would never do anything that was below board. Thanks

Agree totally! Sorry OP.

Well it is not "stealing" (iirc the customer must be made aware of the conditions at the point of sale) BUT I find the whole concept of vouchers strange.

First we say would you like to convert some cold hard cash, that you can spend anywhere, into a type of 'money' that can ONLY be spent in ONE store/salon.

Then we say, "oh by the way this type of 'money' will also expire in a few months!"

I know that sometimes you can make an exception if the client has been ill/ or any other valid reason for not being able to use them (which i have done in the past).

I agree that the client should have been allowed to use the voucher. Three months is a very short date.

I also struggle with the above quote which is from your original post. Did the client tell you the reason that she hadn't been in for a treatment before you said that she couldn't use it?
What would be considered a valid reason? How do you judge this, is it just your own take on this and if you do make an exception for one, wouldn't you have to treat others in the same way?

I'm not questioning your judgement, but trying to show that this could also be misunderstood, and/or at worst used against you to tell others that you are not honouring treatments that have been paid for. Nightmare, eh?

I think it's fair enough to have a date on a voucher that has been donated free of charge, and stick to that. But as you already have the money, it would be good to honour it. It gives you an opportunity to be "generous" to your client and gain extra brownie points with her. It's so hard to build up a reputation but SO easy to destroy one, especially in this age of social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back